Urgent help please.. (1 Viewer)

shehan123

HSC
N/A
Anyone experienced with the experiments done with cooled supeconductors, can you explain the experiment with a little detail where they place a magnet over an already cooled superconductor? I have an explanation myself but theres alot of confliction between a couple people i know.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
We didn't do the experiment but just gonna make one up:

1) Put on gloves, safety goggles and a lab coat.
2) Put a circle block of YBCO in a petri dish and add liquid nitrogen until it stops bubbling
3) When it stops bubbling use tweezers (??? not sure) to hold the magnet on top of the YBCO and let go
4) Play around with the magnet while it is levitating, e.g. spin it around or try move it slightly and see what happens

shehan123

HSC
N/A
Yea, sorry my bad, I mean, why does the magnet remain in its position? Its surely not the meissner effect taking place here

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Yes it is the meissner effect which allows for the superconductor to levitate below the critical temperature.

shehan123

HSC
N/A
Yes it is the meissner effect which allows for the superconductor to levitate below the critical temperature.
The Meissner effect is the expulsion of all field lines from within a superconductor. In my scenario im placing the magnet onto an already cooling material, this surely cant be the meissner effect

sarkar_as

HSC
just talk about how u place a magnet on top of a superconducting material. (at this stage it simply rests on top)
then u put liquid nitrogen onto it which causes the magnet to 'levitate' because it begins to exclude the magnetic field (meisser effect)
the magnet will levitate until the superconducting material returns to a temperature above its critical temperature
then it returns to its original position (where the magnet was simply on top of the superconducting material)
also, mention safety glasses, lab coat, gloves and u can use tweezers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)