Urgent help with UAC Applications - First year transfer (1 Viewer)

ninjamonkey

HSC
N/A
Hey BOS!

UAC Applications are due midnight today and I was curious as to what you guys think about my options.

My dream course has always been Commerce at USYD, but I recently received an ATAR just below the cutoff at [94.1]

My options are:
1. Doing commerce at UNSW (My ATAR is sufficient with bonus points) and then transferring into USYD commerce after 1 semster or 1 year.

2. Doing an economics degree at USYD and doing an internal transfer into USYD commerce.

3. Doing an arts degree at USYD and doing an internal transfer into USYD commerce.

[Side note - I do prefer

Questions:
1. I've heard internal transfers at USYD are better becuase USYD tests are apparently harder and the faculties look nicer upon USYD students. Is this true?
2. What WAM do I have to have to be competitive in transferring?
3. If I do an internal transfer from an arts/economics course at USYD to commerce, is it possible to still finish the degree in 3 years by choosing commerce related units and hopping the credits pass through? - If so, what units would they be so I can be prepared. (If some credits don't pass through, is it possible to overload and still finish in 3 years)?
4. Would a Bachelor of Arts or Economics have more relevant units to Commerce?
5. Can I do an internal transfer after 1 semster or do i have to wait 1 year and complete 48 credit points?

I would really appreciate a quick reply from anyone with relevant knowledge and any advice for the next round offers!

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Questions.

1. I've seen my friends' finals/tests for commerce, they are definitely not harder for the most part. Internal transfers are easier as you are already an enrolled student within the university and the university has greater knowledge over grading/units offered or studied at their own institution.

2. Aim for a distinction average and you should be able to transfer without any issues.

3. USYD has summer and winter school but doesn't appear to have much choice when I looked at it. (Unlike Macquarie when I would've said it was possible...) but that could change in the next few years. You are looking at minimum of 3.5-4+ years I suspect.

4. Arts has a lot more flexibility in terms of what subjects you can select.

What are you wanting to major in for commerce?

ninjamonkey

HSC
N/A
[BLIT2014]

Hey,

Thanks for the quick reply!

In regards to 3, I'm planning to major in finance/banking OR finance/accounting for the commerce course, and I REALLY want to still finish in 3 years. I had a look at the shared pool for both arts/economics with commerce, and I'm not sure which one would be more relevant to pick if I wanted to study commerce units and make sure they transfer! Any suggestions as to whether arts/economics would be a better choice?

Both of you guys are saying I'm looking at a minimum of 3.5 - 4 years and is this because some arts/economics credit points would not transfer into a commerce course? If so, is it still POSSIBLE to finish in 3 years if I overload at some point. - If so, what are the procedures regarding overloading?

[si2136]

In regards to 5, what WAM will be competitive in transferring to commerce within 1 semester with a 94.1 ATAR? Am I looking at getting a HD at least?

Side question: My friend also wants to follow my path but he also got an atar of 92.5 and is looking to transfer to USYD commerce ASAP as well. What WAM would he also need to transfer successfully after 1 semster?

I know these questions might seem a bit retarded but I honestly really appreciate the help!

Thank you!

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
A lot of people end up underloading or failing subjects so do not complete a three-year degree in the three years that are stated. Not to mention if you are looking into getting into certain graduate programmes require a distinction or higher wam for consideration, and I would suspect that you would not find it possible to do so if you are doing 6 units per semester.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Especially as people struggle with three or four units.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)