URGENT-need info on essay question! (1 Viewer)

Zeina_omo

HSC
I’m having great trouble finding info on this essay question: "Have religious groups influenced political debate and the awareness of issues within Australia?" where i can refer to two ethical areas such as abortion, euthanasia, divorce law, gambling, indigenous right...and so on...
Its worth 10% of my HSC mark, so it needs quite a lot of info......does anyone have any info regarding this question?! plzz suggest any websites, books...anything!?

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
The best place to look is on the resource section of this site, also macquarie book is pretty good. There is also another thread similar to this in this same sub forum.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Click on search in the top toolbar and then click on advanced and type in some keywords and click to find posts in the studies of religion forum

Jacks

HSC
by religious groups are we talking different denominations within christianity itself or can that include different religions as well. There should be plenty of info on these topics, have you chosen two ethical issues yet...?? I can help you do that when I know what religious groups can be included in your discussion...:)

kittycat552

Abortion is an excellent one to do because there is a shitload of information! last year i did abortion and found tonnes in christianity, judaism, islam, etc. and their variants.

You should look in the Catechism Of The Catholic Church because they contain lots of relevant quotes to support their viewpoint on abortion - this looks good in essays.

Also Islam is really interesting to do for abortion because there is many a quote which is useful which could be found in many libraries - look up books on world religions and search for abortion (a good quote is "no severer of womb-relationship ties will ever enter paradise" - sheikh muhammed al shamsuddin)

I hope my rant has been helpful... if it's only christianity u r doing, just disregard the other info i gave

Also, have you tried google?, i.e. "abortion + christianity"

GOOD LUCK

Zeina_omo

HSC
When I asked my teacher about what she meant by ‘religious groups’ she said just talk about religious groups in general…soo I guess I’ll have to mention all the various religious groups but mainly focusing on Christianity… would that be o.k? or are there any other good suggestions on how it should be set out? I’ve decided to do abortion and probably euthanasia….thanx for all the advice pplz! its all good...

Jacks

HSC
that sounds like a good plan...try to compare and contrast the viewpoints...that is try and find a religious group that is extremely conservative and say pro-abortion, one that accepts it under certain circumstances (e.g. when the pregnancy endangers the mother) and one that isn't all together against it - for instance catholics are usually fiercy against it as a religious group, though some other denominations aren't as strict. Then you have many Jews accepting abortion because Jews do not believe that a baby has a soul until it breathes its first breath of air, at which time it inhales its soul etc. Of course compare othodox jews to reform...but try and look at all of these viewpoints and make a case that it is these differing viewpoints that create controversy and cause the issues to become political. I hope this makes sense but use what I've said as a sort of springboard and if you need any help just ask :)

Last edited:

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
syllabus states religious groups=world religions but better answers will talk about variants where applicable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)