Urgent Request For Uni Bos Site! (1 Viewer)

Lainee

HSC
I think uni notes would be a great idea! I don't really know about whether that's spoon-feeding or not, but if an avenue exists for making study easier why not give it a spin?

Understandably it might be more difficult to organise the submitted notes, but Tim's idea about categorising it by area of study sounds good. When there's a will, there must surely be a way!

And as for the increased costs... erm... *scratches head* I wouldn't mind chipping in at all but I don't suppose that'll help the long term costs very much. Isn't there a get rich scheme we can do or something? Cause it sucks if it can't go ahead because of financial reasons. :(

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Personally, I don't think its a good idea. You're not at high school anymore, .'. will not be spoonfed. Additionally, theres MAJOR plagarism issues involved. Plus as others have said, each uni teaches each course differently, from year to year, semester to semester.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with hipsta_jess, there are too many negatives to this idea than positives, and one major negative is plaigarism. At uni, if you're caught plaigarising, you can be suspended from uni up to 2 years. A site such as the one proposed would, I feel, encourage copying, and sooner or later, universities will start writing letter to the admins asking them to shut it down.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
All my subject have the lecture notes posted on the website, so for my subjects it would be pretty useless.

krisk85

Random
HSC
N/A
im up for it.. hell even post up the lecture recordings! (and tutorials i guess) ive got mine recorded for 4 different classes.. (thank u onenote) and good quality 2.. 320kbps..

also dont post up essays then lol.. just notes..

stazi

Nightman
HSC
so, if you plagarise, the other person gets in trouble. No one is asking you to plagarise. Anyone could plagarise hsc stuff, but due to the chance of getting caught they didn't.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
1) If you knowingly let other people view your work, and they choose to plagiarise, you're just as guilty as they are
2) Technically, it would be theft (of academic's work)
3) Plagarism detection at uni is much stricter than school (god bless Turnitin)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
ok then notes and not essays are sufficient.
and natstar, stop bitching about everything. Every time I see your name in a thread its a whinny coment trying to disagree with someone. Would it be beneficial for there to be a uninotes site?
Yes. No one can disagree with me.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
1Time4thePpl said:
Would it be beneficial for there to be a uninotes site?
Uh, have you even read this thread? There are plenty of people disagreeing with you, many of which have been at uni longer than a few weeks (or not even that in some cases)

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
I disagree. It would be nice, but the costs out weigh the benefits.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
krisk85 said:
im up for it.. hell even post up the lecture recordings! (and tutorials i guess) ive got mine recorded for 4 different classes.. (thank u onenote) and good quality 2.. 320kbps..
it would be a very serious breach of copyright if BOS allowed the storage of lecture recordings on the site.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
1Time4thePpl said:
ok then notes and not essays are sufficient.
and natstar, stop bitching about everything. Every time I see your name in a thread its a whinny coment trying to disagree with someone. Would it be beneficial for there to be a uninotes site?
I believe Asquithian just posted a link to a site similar to one you proposed.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yes i know he did.
I'm saying would it be beneficial to have uni notes. I've agreed to that, not essays or assignments.
People aren't disagreeing that they're benificial or not, they're going off on tangents.
"The costs would be too high".
What if we donate to it?
"I ate a red candle"

Yes. If we had access to notes would it benefit uni students or not benefit uni students? Purely from a social perspective.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Beneficial?
No.

Why?
1. Part of the learning process is to sit through a lecture and take your own notes (and to work out your own way of catching up on missed lectures), and if notes are not provided then the lecturer is sure to have valid reasons for this being the case.
2. As much as you may not like this, take note of what hipsta_jess had to say.

Edit: 3. It's your life, so get off your arse and learn for your own sake. If you happen to miss a lecture that was not accompanied by a page or two of brief notes, then a) tough shit, b) start talking to other students and borrow a book and photocopy the relevant pages, or c) talk to the lecturer and plead your case (with documentation if necessary). It's time for you to grow up and realise that even though there are many who are willing to help you through, nobody is willing to do the work for you :).

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Ok, lets close the hsc notes site.
1) Part of the learning process is to sit through a class and take your own notes (and to work out your own way of catching up on missed classes), and if notes are not provided then the teacher is sure to have valid reasons for this being the case.

Generator said:
Beneficial?
No.

Why?
1. Part of the learning process is to sit through a lecture and take your own notes (and to work out your own way of catching up on missed lectures), and if notes are not provided then the lecturer is sure to have valid reasons for this being the case.
2. As much as you may not like this, take note of what hipsta_jess had to say.

Edit: 3. It's your life, so get off your arse and learn for your own sake. If you happen to miss a lecture that was not accompanied by a page or two of brief notes, then a) tough shit, b) start talking to other students and borrow a book and photocopy the relevant pages, or c) talk to the lecturer and plead your case (with documentation if necessary). It's time for you to grow up and realise that even though there are many who are willing to help you through, nobody is willing to do the work for you :).

Generator

HSC
N/A
Part of the learning process... Sorry, perhaps I should have said 'part of the tertiary learning process'? I would have thought the 'time to grow up' phrase would have implied as much (even though it was under a different point), but then again I'm not aware of any schools that provide lectures rather than classes, so my point should have been quite clear without the edit or the tertiary qualification. If not, my mistake.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
You do realise that university education is primarily individual study? Your responsible to do everything yourself, turn up for lectures, take notes, do your homework and assignments.

There are significant differences between the HSC and university. Maybe, you really should take some advice from people who have been to uni for longer than a week. I completely agree with everything hipsta_jess has said.

And as for plagarism, if one person gets caught and they copied off someone else, both people get in trouble and usually have to repeat the subject cause its an automatic fail. I know, cause this happened to a friend on mine last year.

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
Cape said:
It wouldn't work. There are too many different courses, and each year and even semester to semester subjects change. What happens to people who don't do your subjects let alone go to your uni? Uni students should be able to decide for themselves if they want to attend lectures or not. And if they miss lectures - unis have websites which post up lectures. Your not going to be spoon fed for the rest of your life.
got a point here...

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yes, it is a lot to do with individual study, but is sharing notes really so against that?
Hell, if a mate wants to compare notes for one of my subjects I wouldn't object.
If someone wishes to get notes to help them excel, its their problem. I've been typing up notes for the subjects i do in the usyd business and eco forum for all to see.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)