URGENT: Was Gitta Sereny a historian? (1 Viewer)

bunnie

Was Gitta Sereny who wrote 'Albert Speer: His Battle with Truth' a historian, or merely a biographer? Thanks in advance. :D

rama_v

HSC
A historian. At least Bruce Denett talks of her like that, and he must be right :)

alex176

HSC
well i think it might be too late now, but i'm pretty sure she wasn't originally a historian..she wrote albert speers journals for him, and when they were needed as evidence in the trials, she altered them to get rid of any evidence that albert speer knew about the holocaust and stuff, so i think she was an assistant of his kinda, but then they had a falling out and she ended up disliking him and producing evidence after his death , with his original journals, that proved that he did if fact know all about what was happening to the jews and what not...and obviously from her experience, wrote the books she wrote and things..

circusmind

HSC
alex176 said:
well i think it might be too late now, but i'm pretty sure she wasn't originally a historian..she wrote albert speers journals for him, and when they were needed as evidence in the trials, she altered them to get rid of any evidence that albert speer knew about the holocaust and stuff, so i think she was an assistant of his kinda, but then they had a falling out and she ended up disliking him and producing evidence after his death , with his original journals, that proved that he did if fact know all about what was happening to the jews and what not...and obviously from her experience, wrote the books she wrote and things..
Dude...no...that was Wolters.

.K.

HSC
My history teacher said that anyone who studies history can be called a "historian." Apparently its a very broad term.

!R3VOLUTION!

HSC
Gitta sereny never wrote the wolters chronicle alex176 it was Wolters Speer's friend but they were friends till Wolters revealed information that he cut out from da original chronicles that could get Speer in to trouble, Speer wanted Wolters to destroy it, but Wolters didnt want that, Speer and Wolters relationship was strained from then on. Wolters promised Speer that after he dies he will release the original chronicle to the public and he kept his promise.

Gitta sereny i knew she was definitely a Journalist who extensively interviewed speer but u can have her quotes on Essay cos i believe she would be a valid opinion.
what is really the definition of a historian really????

-pari-

HSC
N/A
you can use her opinions as historiography =) as a "historians" perspective, because, in relation to speer - she did study the history of speer and therefore would in that respect be a "historian"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)