URGENTLY NEED HELP: SOR I task! (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Research focus question:
  • Is there a prioritty of hierarchy in Jewish ethics? If so, account for such ordering
  • What are the Jewish ethical teaching regarding social justice?
Can anyone help me with this? I will greatly appreciate any comment. :uhhuh: :uhhuh: :uhhuh:

I will LOVE anyone who posts up detailed answers. :shy: :shy: :shy:

Thanks in advance. :shy: :uhhuh: :shy: :uhhuh:

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
i went great in SOR 1 last year but unfortunently we did islam and christianity not judaism.

Ask a Jew

WannaBang?

HSC
emytaylor164 said:
i went great in SOR 1 last year but unfortunently we did islam and christianity not judaism.

Ask a Jew
yeh, we did xtrianity and islam as well.

lol! that 'ask a jew' part of you answer made me laugh for some reason.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Thanks for all the help so far.

Can anyone help me more please? I still need some info.

bored of sc

HSC
This isn't explicit in the syllabus is it? :( If it was I would help you better (actually you probably wouldn't need help anyways).

Question: in dumbies terms, what does it mean by a priority of hierarchy in Jewish ethics?

As for the other question: The ethical teaching of social justice is "Tikkun Olam" which means 'repair of the world'. In order to work towards social justice, the Jewish ethics encourage adherents become actively involved in bringing God's work of creation to full completion. NOTE; "Tikkun": the spiritual movement whereby the world is restored to God. The oscillations (fluctuations, ever changing nature) between good and evil that characterise the whole condition of the world at any given time are indications of the progress of regression (backwards movement) of Tikkun and thus, how close the world is to achieving social justice. In this sense, the more good that occurs means the more progression towards Tikkun and therefore social justice and vice-versa.

It's loosely related but...

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
bored of sc said:
This isn't explicit in the syllabus is it? :( If it was I would help you better (actually you probably wouldn't need help anyways).

Question: in dumbies terms, what does it mean by a priority of hierarchy in Jewish ethics?

As for the other question: The ethical teaching of social justice is "Tikkun Olam" which means 'repair of the world'. In order to work towards social justice, the Jewish ethics encourage adherents become actively involved in bringing God's work of creation to full completion. NOTE; "Tikkun": the spiritual movement whereby the world is restored to God. The oscillations (fluctuations, ever changing nature) between good and evil that characterise the whole condition of the world at any given time are indications of the progress of regression (backwards movement) of Tikkun and thus, how close the world is to achieving social justice. In this sense, the more good that occurs means the more progression towards Tikkun and therefore social justice and vice-versa.

It's loosely related but...
Thanks for the info. But what does it mean by "hierarchy"? I really don't understand. What is the order of this "hierarchy"???

bored of sc

HSC
The hierarchy of Judaism is basically the status of the different personalities.

"There are different statuses of being of Jews, yet Jews are all one and connected. There are Rabbis who are higher and more learned then most other jews, and they are here to guide believers in the right direction. There is no real Hierarchy in Judaism. There is no pope or vatican or anything to that degree. There is a God who is above humanly limitations."

source: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Orthodox-Judaism-952/Hebrew-Hierarchy.htm

bored of sc

HSC
Maybe there isn't a priority of hierarchy in jewish ethics. Or maybe (and more probably) I misunderstood the question. I think it means are there commandments (ethic guidelines) that assume a higher importance since they are considered more important in following e.g. the first of the ten commandments "I am the Lord your God... etc" is much more important than a law/commandment (mitzvah) about agriculture.

Thus, to account for such ordering you have the TEN COMMANDMENTS and the other 613 mitzvot in that respective order of significance.

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
lyounamu said:
Thanks for the info. But what does it mean by "hierarchy"? I really don't understand. What is the order of this "hierarchy"???
does it mean like hierarchy of their sacred texts, ie which sacred text is most important and what it says about ethics

so it could be heirachy of important things that influence jewish ethics, like the talmud, rabbi etc

thats just a thought, i could be wrong

ohh just read the post before me, kinda says the same thing, my bad.

bored of sc

HSC
hollyy. said:
does it mean like hierarchy of their sacred texts, ie which sacred text is most important and what it says about ethics

so it could be heirachy of important things that influence jewish ethics, like the talmud, rabbi etc

thats just a thought, i could be wrong

ohh just read the post before me, kinda says the same thing, my bad.
yeah, true - therefore an answer would be something like: the TORAH is most important, followed by the TALMUD in the sacred texts used to determine the hierarchy of Jewish ethics - maybe

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Thanks guys. The question is too ambiguous in my opinion. I will be screwed in SOR I for the first time tomorrow. :( :( :(

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
bored of sc said:
Maybe there isn't a priority of hierarchy in jewish ethics. Or maybe (and more probably) I misunderstood the question. I think it means are there commandments (ethic guidelines) that assume a higher importance since they are considered more important in following e.g. the first of the ten commandments "I am the Lord your God... etc" is much more important than a law/commandment (mitzvah) about agriculture.

Thus, to account for such ordering you have the TEN COMMANDMENTS and the other 613 mitzvot in that respective order of significance.
You reckon? That's what I thought as well. But I didn't know Jews followed the Ten Commandments. I thought the Ten Commandments was Christians' thing.

Thanks by the way.

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
lyounamu said:
You reckon? That's what I thought as well. But I didn't know Jews followed the Ten Commandments. I thought the Ten Commandments was Christians' thing.

Thanks by the way.
no cause its in the ot jews believe in them, i think (correct me if im wrong) that they are part of the 613 mitzvot?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
hollyy. said:
no cause its in the ot jews believe in them, i think (correct me if im wrong) that they are part of the 613 mitzvot?
Yeah. I get it now. But I am still confused about the hierarchy thing. It is just confusing me. I do not know what they are referring to... can anyone help or provide any useful advices or info???

bored of sc

HSC
Sorry, can't help you there - just write on the test too ambiguous but go with the whole sacrd texts thing (see Holly and my posts on that).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)