Use of religion for political gain (1 Viewer)

shady_03

Sue me....
HSC
I was watchin this doco the other day, it was how bush senior used the evangelical christians 2 win him the election, even tho he wasnt really religious. He didnt like talking about religion or (i dont think) he really practiced it alot but he sent bush junior (who was a highly devoted christian himself) wen out and he basically persuaded them that bush senior was on their side and "understood" them .....

Its really shitty how political figures can use peoples religion like that to gain something for themselves, religion shouldnt be exploited like that..... even tho these types of religious people are a bit scary....

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Yeah I don't like it either because I'm an athiest, but that's just the way it is.

L

LaraB

iamsickofyear12 said:
Yeah I don't like it either because I'm an athiest, but that's just the way it is.
yeah im agnostic and hate it too but it seems like it's always gonna happen..

i mean, it happened here - look at how the liberals used Hillsong for votes.... i live in the greenway electorate and its amazing how people around my area though that it was top stuff and that must mean that the political parties are awesome but now that they're settling in to parliament they're all wishing they didnt vote on that basis coz our MP doesn't really seem to be doing anythig apart from toke charity media spots...

i dont think its just non-religious people... my relos are devout catholics and think politics should keep away from religion and vice versa although it is quite ironic given teh history of the catholic church haha :)

shady_03

Sue me....
HSC
But theyll exploit every single type of person for votes... wen bush turned "devout chrisitian" he got a huge amount of the religious votes... tho i dont see newhere in the bible where it says that bombing and killing innocent civilians for oil is justified...

L

LaraB

shady_03 said:
But theyll exploit every single type of person for votes... wen bush turned "devout chrisitian" he got a huge amount of the religious votes... tho i dont see newhere in the bible where it says that bombing and killing innocent civilians for oil is justified...
lol yeah...

i mean... if atheism/agnosticism was more 'popular' they'd probly claim to wanna burn all religion lol

tempco

HSC
and i thought the thread starter would be flamed for stating the obvious.

shady_03

Sue me....
HSC
nekkid said:
lol at least its worse in america then it is here, over there everythings exploited lol

shady_03

Sue me....
HSC
LaraB said:
lol yeah...

i mean... if atheism/agnosticism was more 'popular' they'd probly claim to wanna burn all religion lol
wat made uz turn that way? was it that u werent really religius or just didnt bleieve in it?

Generator

HSC
N/A
Why should religion be free of this? I don't see why campaign directors and politicians should be free to play on, for example, the economic and racial fears of the masses yet give religion/s a wide berth. All is fair game, however wrong that may be.

Edit: Besides, religion (well, christianity) is more of an issue in the US than it is here and given the power of the fundamentalists, I can hardly see it as an act of exploitation.

shady_03

Sue me....
HSC
Generator said:
Why should religion be free of this? I don't see why campaign directors and politicians should be free to play on, for example, the economic and racial fears of the masses yet give religion/s a wide berth. All is fair game, however wrong that may be.
tru, theres alot of things that hsould be left alone like religion, fear, economic status etc.... thats the world of politics for ya

L

LaraB

shady_03 said:
wat made uz turn that way? was it that u werent really religius or just didnt bleieve in it?
coz i was brought up that way to start with and as i got older the more i thought that there's too much reason for religion to be untrue...

im agnostic not atheist though - so i don't think that all religion's 100% shit and all that..i just don't thikn any organised religion is so great and i think that yeah there probably is some sort of a spiritual factor in creating the earth and everything but i donn't believe there's some dude sitting up there who sets everything up and i don't believe we all evolved from 2 people in some garden or that there was a flood n some dude chucked animals in a boat or any of taht stuff....

i geuss i don't know much about other religions apart from christianity but i guess i don't believe in reincarnation or heaven n hell and stuff so i guess that rules out most religions lol

i guess its just like anything - if ur brought up with it and you experience good tsuff, you'll stick by it..

just like people brought up say,, Catholic like my parents.. they didnt agree with it, didn't have good experiences with it, didn't see it as something that they felt was worthy of devoting your life too so they are no longe rcatholic...

but had they been brought up seeing only the good of it and found it useful in their life and didn't believe in a lot of teh scientific or whatever reasons they probly would still be catholics:)

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
nekkid said:
That Americans and/or religious people are idiots?

shady_03

Sue me....
HSC
LaraB said:
coz i was brought up that way to start with and as i got older the more i thought that there's too much reason for religion to be untrue...

im agnostic not atheist though - so i don't think that all religion's 100% shit and all that..i just don't thikn any organised religion is so great and i think that yeah there probably is some sort of a spiritual factor in creating the earth and everything but i donn't believe there's some dude sitting up there who sets everything up and i don't believe we all evolved from 2 people in some garden or that there was a flood n some dude chucked animals in a boat or any of taht stuff....

i geuss i don't know much about other religions apart from christianity but i guess i don't believe in reincarnation or heaven n hell and stuff so i guess that rules out most religions lol

i guess its just like anything - if ur brought up with it and you experience good tsuff, you'll stick by it..

just like people brought up say,, Catholic like my parents.. they didnt agree with it, didn't have good experiences with it, didn't see it as something that they felt was worthy of devoting your life too so they are no longe rcatholic...

but had they been brought up seeing only the good of it and found it useful in their life and didn't believe in a lot of teh scientific or whatever reasons they probly would still be catholics:)
Yeah the whole debate is that no 1 can totally prove that religion or its beelifs are true, its just something u grow up with i guess. But for me, the fact that after i die i dont know where ill go kinda makes me believe in religion more - not that ppl who are atheist won't go newhere, but yeah.

L

LaraB

shady_03 said:
Yeah the whole debate is that no 1 can totally prove that religion or its beelifs are true, its just something u grow up with i guess. But for me, the fact that after i die i dont know where ill go kinda makes me believe in religion more - not that ppl who are atheist won't go newhere, but yeah.
lol yeah that's exactly why i believe the opposite,,

kinda interesting i guess that people have totally opposite beliefs from teh same stuff

coz for me i just believe you die and that's it...you don't go anywhere.. you don't go to heaven or hell or whatever, youy don't get stuck in limbo as a 'ghost' or whatever.. you don't get reincarnated you just die..

i think maybe that's why alot of people don't get this belief coz its impossible to imagine not existing i guess

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
LaraB said:
lol yeah that's exactly why i believe the opposite,,

kinda interesting i guess that people have totally opposite beliefs from teh same stuff

coz for me i just believe you die and that's it...you don't go anywhere.. you don't go to heaven or hell or whatever, youy don't get stuck in limbo as a 'ghost' or whatever.. you don't get reincarnated you just die..

i think maybe that's why alot of people don't get this belief coz its impossible to imagine not existing i guess
funny. i feel the same about this.
people need to feel that there is something at the end of life. i see no problem in having a faith, if it gets you through your day then so be it

L

LaraB

AtticusFinch said:
funny. i feel the same about this.
people need to feel that there is something at the end of life. i see no problem in having a faith, if it gets you through your day then so be it
yeah exactly,,,

like...some of my family are catholic, some are baptists, some anglicans etc...

i dont care mostly bout it except for a couple of em coz they use the religion to justify what they do and try to force it on you like...asking if i wanna come to church with them and trying to guilt trip me into going i mean, after 19 years you'd think they'd give up lol :p

but if they're good people and helping others and all that good stuff and not trying to scare people into converting or brainwashing them or whatever its all good :)

anyone see that thing on the Sunday show about Redeemer Baptist? freaky shit....

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
LaraB said:
yeah exactly,,,

like...some of my family are catholic, some are baptists, some anglicans etc...

i dont care mostly bout it except for a couple of em coz they use the religion to justify what they do and try to force it on you like...asking if i wanna come to church with them and trying to guilt trip me into going i mean, after 19 years you'd think they'd give up lol :p

but if they're good people and helping others and all that good stuff and not trying to scare people into converting or brainwashing them or whatever its all good :)

anyone see that thing on the Sunday show about Redeemer Baptist? freaky shit....
just coz i agreed with you doesnt change the fact that i think your a gronk :)

L

LaraB

AtticusFinch said:
just coz i agreed with you doesnt change the fact that i think your a gronk :)
just coz you agreed with me doesn't mean i dont still think you're an arrogant nut...

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
LaraB said:
just coz you agreed with me doesn't mean i dont still think you're an arrogant nut...
just because you can rip off my retorts doesnt make you intelligent
funny u call me arrogant when u promote yourself as the solver of everyones problems...
exalted member?
hahahhaha good one

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)