Use of the word 'gay'... (1 Viewer)

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
Yeah actually, disregard that, I didn't read the article, and given the 11 year old's mother reported "weekly pleas to the school to address the problem", the lack of response is criminally negligent.

X

xeuyrawp

Haha. Check out the articles if you want.
Um, I obviously did.

It seems like he killed himself because he was bullied.

Tangent said:
Congratulations, you clearly have missed the point.

I'm sure by banning the use of the word 'gay', everything will be fixed. /sarcasm.

To state again: Words are contextual. If you think that the word 'gay' is somehow intrinsically bad, you clearly don't understand language or anything about communication, really. This kid killed himself because of homophobia and bullying, not because of the word 'gay'.

Yes I'm sure he was called 'gay' at some point, but I also call myself 'gay'. Thus we can conclude that the first usage (the kid being called 'gay') would have been bad, and the second usage (me calling myself 'gay') is fine. The difference is context. If I call my computer 'gay' to my brother, the context makes it fine. If I said to the Queen 'your handbag is really gay', the context would make it bad.

I have absolutely no idea why people's minds are so weak to not grasp this most basic aspect of communication.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Contextually speaking, how r u using the word Queen?

Tangent

HSC
omfg are you gay? wtf?
lol

Um, I obviously did.

It seems like he killed himself because he was bullied.

Congratulations, you clearly have missed the point.

I'm sure by banning the use of the word 'gay', everything will be fixed. /sarcasm.
hmmwhat? Sorry, you misunderstood me. I never said that it should be banned, that's is ignoring the issue instead of fighting it head-on. If people realised what came out of their mouths, and saw how it was affecting others, then the world might be a better place.

To state again: Words are contextual. If you think that the word 'gay' is somehow intrinsically bad, you clearly don't understand language or anything about communication, really. This kid killed himself because of homophobia and bullying, not because of the word 'gay'.
I agree, it does matter in what context it is used. I believe this is called "use of the word 'gay'", and in this story the word was abused, as was the boy.

Yes I'm sure he was called 'gay' at some point, but I also call myself 'gay'. Thus we can conclude that the first usage (the kid being called 'gay') would have been bad, and the second usage (me calling myself 'gay') is fine. The difference is context. If I call my computer 'gay' to my brother, the context makes it fine. If I said to the Queen 'your handbag is really gay', the context would make it bad.
The last use of the word gay, in context means bad. Though this is tied with its other meanings. Gay means bad, maybe being gay is bad o_O Is this sending the wrong message to younger generations?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)