Usefulness of finance major vs. math/stats (1 Viewer)

RuffWoof

HSC
Hi,

next year I'm starting a big 4 cadetship so that means I'II be majoring in accounting.

However, I'm having trouble considering which other major would be useful in terms of career prospects. What I have in mind is either majoring in finance or math since I have an interest in both fields.

I've heard that finance is sort of a 'bs' course which dosen't teach you anything because its all too theoretical whilst a math/stats major would be much more useful in the field of accounting or anywhere else, yet it may be difficult to manage the workload. However, will this matter at all if I intend to get a CA?

Any advice which major is 'better'?

Thanks

Last edited:

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
I'd assume maths/stats would only help you in risk management/operation risk which I'd assume is covered in the CA&/CPA program. There are quite a few risk management jobs which require the use of SAS, SQL and R which you'd get out of stats.

Heres some examples from Seek.com.au

Risk Manager: You will have very strong SAS skills
Head of Risk Analytics Reporting: SAS experience useful.
Perhaps accounting could assist with operations research style optimization though I've allways viewed maths/finance as USING accounting information so I'm not sure how the accounting could supliment that.

Have you had a look at computer science?

dvse

HSC
N/A
Hi,

I've heard that finance is sort of a 'bs' course which dosen't teach you anything because its all too theoretical whilst a math/stats major would be much more useful in the field of accounting or anywhere else, yet it may be difficult to manage the workload. However, will this matter at all if I intend to get a CA?

Any advice which major is 'better'?

Thanks
You will definitely learn a lot more from a science major, maths/stats/computing are all much more challenging than finance. With accounting and science background you can easily pick up undergrad finance by reading a couple of books (e.g. Hull, Luenbereger).

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Yea

tbh the only practical use of a finance major is financial planning, even then you can just do a grad DPS, but i find planning interesting so meh

it is all theoretical + statsy

maths...well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)