Using a different Maths textbook? (1 Viewer)

Freyo

HSC
Hi, I'm starting Year 11 this year and I've been searching a little bit about the different textbooks and what works best. My school uses Maths in Focus which from what i read, isn't that good. I tried using it for a while and then switched to Cambridge and it was much much better than the other one that my school uses. I was wondering if I could use the Cambridge textbook for school instead of Maths in Focus but I've noticed that the chapters are not the same, maybe they have the same content (do they?) but just in a different order? And so the problem is that I wouldn't be doing the same thing as my class and more importantly, topic tests throughout the year are going to be different. So what should I do?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi, I'm starting Year 11 this year and I've been searching a little bit about the different textbooks and what works best. My school uses Maths in Focus which from what i read, isn't that good. I tried using it for a while and then switched to Cambridge and it was much much better than the other one that my school uses. I was wondering if I could use the Cambridge textbook for school instead of Maths in Focus but I've noticed that the chapters are not the same, maybe they have the same content (do they?) but just in a different order? And so the problem is that I wouldn't be doing the same thing as my class and more importantly, topic tests throughout the year are going to be different. So what should I do?
You don't have to go through a textbook from beginning to end.

Examine

same
HSC
You don't have to go through a textbook from beginning to end.
^

Just use MiF at school/while learning the concepts (it's not that bad it just has pretty basic questions) and once you feel like you understand that section do the questions in Cambridge which corresponds to that topic (although they are not the same chapters they deal with the same topics so you'll be able to find said topic easily).

Last edited:

Freyo

HSC
Just use MiF at school/while learning the concepts (it's not that bad it just has pretty basic questions) and once you feel like you understand that section do the questions in Cambridge which corresponds to that topic.
That's what I thought of doing but I wanted to study Maths on my own and go ahead of the class and so Maths in Focus doesn't even explain anything and on top of that gives questions that are too easy to test my abilities and so I don't think i'll have time to study both the classwork and Cambridge on the side

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
That's what I thought of doing but I wanted to study Maths on my own and go ahead of the class and so Maths in Focus doesn't even explain anything and on top of that gives questions that are too easy to test my abilities and so I don't think i'll have time to study both the classwork and Cambridge on the side
If you want to work ahead, then ask your teacher or subject coordinator what the lesson plan will be for the year. If they think you're capable enough, I'm sure they would share.

Freyo

HSC
If you want to work ahead, then ask your teacher or subject coordinator what the lesson plan will be for the year. If they think you're capable enough, I'm sure they would share.
That's actually a great idea, and then I could study from Cambridge while covering what they're doing in class at the same time. Thanks a lot!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)