Using an English Ext. 1 text for discovery (1 Viewer)

tlv6554

HSC
After writing and perfecting my essay for discovery, I just realised that my related text for discovery, William Wordsworth's, The World Too Much With Us, is a prescription for the ext course. Will they mark me down for this? I really can't afford to change it but I'm concerned that I might get marked down.

andrew12678

HSC
Don't risk anything my friend, the HSC English Exam is a high stakes exam where 1 mark out of 105 is equivalent to 1 External Exam Mark out of 100, imagine if you lost significant number of marks (anywhere from 5 to 10) because the marker doesn't look favourably towards this of behaviour-which although there is no rule in the syllabus against it, there can be personal vendettas by markers against this who deem it either as lazy or disadvantageous to other students.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd recommend that you don't for externals, as it may well result in unconscious/conscious marking of your paper down.

For internals, check with your English teacher + the English Department.

MrSir

HSC
N/A
As an HSC marker we don't care if the text is in the syllabus somewhere . It's how you use it that we are marking it . How it links to your module\AOS is what matters . Check FAQ on the BOSTES web site under related texts . There is no rule concerning use of ORS

Orwell

HSC
My friend posed the same question - teacher said it was absolutely fine.

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
I did this and got a band 5 in English adv, my worst subject so i was pretty happy. I actually used Frankenstein from my 3u! (yay romanticism) I dont know how much they marked me down for it, seeing as I didnt manage to finish other essays in paper 2...

duck4

HSC
My extension 1 teacher is a HSC marker for Advanced and while we're doing texts in extension she encourages using them for discovery and module C. As in "This would actually be a really good text for Discovery, because you have he transition from the negative mindset to the positive one using an imaginative medium from which he realises the ability of nature to heal mankind" (Not exactly like that, but pretty much). That was for 'This Lime Tree Bower My Prison' by Coleridge by the way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)