USYD Chatter Thread 2016 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
Re: USYD Chatter Thread - Semester 1 2016

I know who the girl was, we were friends when I did CHEM2403 - maybe it was 2404.
yeah I know her too, we're mates. She was part of SURG and did the show before me :)

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC

Perhaps if somebody is ashamed by a university, regardless of whether or not those feelings are justified, that person should look elsewhere for their tertiary education?

Just a thought.....

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC

Perhaps if somebody is ashamed by a university, regardless of whether or not those feelings are justified, that person should look elsewhere for their tertiary education?

Just a thought.....
These people aren't the most logical though.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Just a thought.....
Aren't all universities in Sydney invested in fossil fuels?

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC

All the more reason not to complain. It doesn't achieve anything and shows disrespect to the university that was kind enough to provide you with an education.

Last edited:

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

All the more reason not to complain. It doesn't achieve anything and shows disrespect to the university that was kind enough to provide you with an education.
I disagree.

If anything, the fact that you paid around $9000 per year (plus your future tax money going to the university) makes you a part of the university and thereby giving you good reason to complain when the university invests in things that you don't agree with. Furthermore, divesting from fossil fuels is pretty common among elite universities now so complaining about USyd investing in fossil fuels should be nothing new.

As for the part about disrespect, it's a fucking institution that you pay for and it's their job to educate - they're not being kind by providing a service.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC

I disagree.

If anything, the fact that you paid around $9000 per year (plus your future tax money going to the university) makes you a part of the university and thereby giving you good reason to complain when the university invests in things that you don't agree with. Furthermore, divesting from fossil fuels is pretty common among elite universities now so complaining about USyd investing in fossil fuels should be nothing new.

As for the part about disrespect, it's a fucking institution that you pay for and it's their job to educate - they're not being kind by providing a service.
Just because you pay for something doesn't mean you have to be disrespectful. I wouldn't go into a restaurant and tell the waiters to fuck off just because I bought the food.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC

tbh I think it was disrespectful in that situation. I think more appropriate action could have been taken, rather than a tokenistic effort at a formal event which received a 100 word mention in the university newspaper, 200 likes on fb, and a couple of shares of the video. Sure, if the plan was to raise awareness it worked. But I really doubt anyone who saw it or clapped for it has been impacted or taken any action since.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC

I disagree.

Do you see university education as a right, or a privilege? I sense that's where we may reach an impasse.

Last edited:

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Do you see university education as a right, or a privilege? I sense that's where we may reach an impasse.
I don't think how I feel about university education can be accurately described as a right nor a privilege.

J18134

HSC

Is SCIWAM calculated from all intermediate and senior units or just ones from the science faculty?

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC

Have any of you been involved in some of the competitions they run at uni. Like Incubate, ArtSS Career Ready Program, stuff like that? Heard Univative is closing in a few days and consultancy experience could be cool.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC

crew, where we at?

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC

I'm still here! Unfortunately there just doesn't seem to be much to talk about.

Student elections are coming up though, so hopefully that gives me something to rant about again haha.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC

it's a shame this thread is pretty quiet

anyhow, how's your semester going so far?
turns up i messed up my enrollment, my candidature lapsed, and I can't hand in my thesis this semester. So you've got me for another 6 months!

I'm still here! Unfortunately there just doesn't seem to be much to talk about.

Student elections are coming up though, so hopefully that gives me something to rant about again haha.
I'm fully aware that when I ask where you're at, the answer is predominantly 'Hermanns'... as it is for me too.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC

Ah I'm actually at the Carslaw Learning Hub most of the time, but it's coming towards the end of semester and I'm pretty much over it, so spending all day drinking at Hermann's may not be such a bad idea haha.

Sucks about the enrolment issues. What's the plan for next semester then? Seeing as you were planning to finish this semester I'm guessing there isn't much more for you to do on your thesis.

UMATgurl

HSC

Hai, is it possible to review UMAT results from previous years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)