Can they hurry pls??

egress

HSC
What are you all enrolled in next semester? I've decided to enrol in:
* ECOS3902 - Advanced Macroeconomics Honours
* ECMT3120 - Applied Econometrics
* MATH3969 - Measure Theory and Fourier Analysis
* MATH3977 - Lagrangian and Hamiltonian dynamics

I'm not sure at this point whether I will regret not enrolling in ECOS3904 (Applied Macroeconometrics), since my understanding of time series statistics is a bit lacking at present. :/

sida1049

HSC
What are you all enrolled in next semester? I've decided to enrol in:
* ECOS3902 - Advanced Macroeconomics Honours
* ECMT3120 - Applied Econometrics
* MATH3969 - Measure Theory and Fourier Analysis
* MATH3977 - Lagrangian and Hamiltonian dynamics

I'm not sure at this point whether I will regret not enrolling in ECOS3904 (Applied Macroeconometrics), since my understanding of time series statistics is a bit lacking at present. :/
Nice! You have the legendary Dr Daners next semester! I envy that. I really hope his MATH3969 still runs in two years time so I can take it.

I'm taking
- ECOS2902 Intermediate Macroeconomics Honours
- MATH2965 Introduction to Partial Differential Equations (Advanced)
- MATH2970 Financial Mathematics and Optimisation (Advanced)
- STAT2912 Statistical Tests (Advanced)

You've done ECOS2902 right? How was that...? And how was ECOS3901 (assuming you've done that too)?

sea-r-du

HSC
N/A
Guys got a question. Results day is just days away, and when I logged into Sydney Student just now, there's this one particular unit that I took during the semester that does not match with the number of completed units of credit that I did during that semester (i.e. I took 4 units = 24 UOC, but it only appears as 18 UOC), does that mean I failed that unit?? Admittedly, I wasn't doing that great in that unit so I probably did, but can anyone confirm this?

sida1049

HSC
Guys got a question. Results day is just days away, and when I logged into Sydney Student just now, there's this one particular unit that I took during the semester that does not match with the number of completed units of credit that I did during that semester (i.e. I took 4 units = 24 UOC, but it only appears as 18 UOC), does that mean I failed that unit?? Admittedly, I wasn't doing that great in that unit so I probably did, but can anyone confirm this?
I don't think it necessarily implies that you failed the unit. You should probably try ring them on this issue.

oht

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey man, this happened to me last sem and it was just because one unit was slow and hadn't finalized results yet. I wouldn't worry until after results are released :)

engineering

HSC
N/A
You also previously posted on another thread that you had missed an exam due to illness, so presumably you had a deferred exam (if you had applied for special consideration). Wasn't the deferred exam only a couple of days ago? Do you think possibly the lecturer hasn't marked that exam yet?

sea-r-du

HSC
N/A
You also previously posted on another thread that you had missed an exam due to illness, so presumably you had a deferred exam (if you had applied for special consideration). Wasn't the deferred exam only a couple of days ago? Do you think possibly the lecturer hasn't marked that exam yet?
That's a different unit of study that I did, and it still appears as normal on Sydney Student.

blakeeie

HSC
N/A
I have done INFS1000 in 2015, when Barney was teaching it. It was alright but there was a group assignment

blakeeie

HSC
N/A
Can confirm: the ECMT1020 lectures are recorded, and as long as you've done some kind of statistics (e.g. MATH1X05), it's a piece of cake (I'm in the course right now).

Good luck!

Edit: Also, no compulsory attendance for tutorials are labs either.
Sorry but do you know anyone who have done ECMT1020 this sem? Coz I have heard from a friend's friend that the unit's difficulty has increased this sem? Can you please confirm?

sida1049

HSC
Sorry but do you know anyone who have done ECMT1020 this sem? Coz I have heard from a friend's friend that the unit's difficulty has increased this sem? Can you please confirm?
I did ECMT1020 during semester 1 this year. I think the difficulty of the unit depends on how well you cope with statistics. If you have studied a good statistics unit or two, ECMT1020 will seem like a piece of cake, but if you've only done ECMT1010, then ECMT1020 might not be the easiest course for you. If you're not too comfortable with statistical theory, you may have to rote-learn some parts of the course, but overall it's not considered a WAM-destroying unit.

ECMT1020 this semester had a couple of differences:
- no computer assignment, and
- 4 multiple choice quizzes you do in your own time throughout the semester, but no multiple choice in the exam.

I personally found this easier, since I didn't really want to bother with learning STATA, but a lot of people may actually prefer having an easy computer assignment and multiple choice in the final, so they might have found it harder.

Overall, I think all the changes balance out, and ECMT1020 shouldn't be more difficult compared to previous semesters.

blakeeie

HSC
N/A
I did ECMT1020 during semester 1 this year. I think the difficulty of the unit depends on how well you cope with statistics. If you have studied a good statistics unit or two, ECMT1020 will seem like a piece of cake, but if you've only done ECMT1010, then ECMT1020 might not be the easiest course for you. If you're not too comfortable with statistical theory, you may have to rote-learn some parts of the course, but overall it's not considered a WAM-destroying unit.

ECMT1020 this semester had a couple of differences:
- no computer assignment, and
- 4 multiple choice quizzes you do in your own time throughout the semester, but no multiple choice in the exam.

I personally found this easier, since I didn't really want to bother with learning STATA, but a lot of people may actually prefer having an easy computer assignment and multiple choice in the final, so they might have found it harder.

Overall, I think all the changes balance out, and ECMT1020 shouldn't be more difficult compared to previous semesters.
Thanks a lot. I have only done BUSS1020 in my first year which I did quite okay in, and I also did 3U maths when I was in high school. Do you reckon that will be sufficient? Otherwise do you know any easy unit for commerce as an elective that is a wam booster (junior or senior units).

Also with ECMT1020 is textbook necessary?
THANKS

Last edited:

sida1049

HSC
Thanks a lot. I have only done BUSS1020 in my first year which I did quite okay in, and I also did 3U maths when I was in high school. Do you reckon that will be sufficient? Otherwise do you know any easy unit for commerce as an elective that is a wam booster (junior or senior units).

Also with ECMT1020 is textbook necessary?
THANKS
You'll probably find ECMT1020 okay. It won't be a WAM booster, but it won't be a WAM destroyer either.

The lecturer goes through the basic probability and statistics you need anyway (although one thing I noticed was that our lecturer didn't spent that much time on conditional probability and the law of total probability, which some exam questions tested us on), so you should be fine. But a lot of this stuff may seem unfamiliar to you, so while an HD isn't that difficult, you'd have to put a reasonable level of effort into it.

I don't think the textbook is necessary. Our lecturer's slides rendered the book especially unnecessary during revision for exams and whatnot. Although if you really want an HD, the textbook may help you understand digest the lectures if you commit yourself to doing pre-readings for each week's material.

Unfortunately I don't study commerce, so I can't really help you with choosing WAM boosting subjects, but I'm sure there are others here who have more experience with commerce than I.

Best of luck!

egress

HSC
Nice! You have the legendary Dr Daners next semester! I envy that. I really hope his MATH3969 still runs in two years time so I can take it.

I'm taking
- ECOS2902 Intermediate Macroeconomics Honours
- MATH2965 Introduction to Partial Differential Equations (Advanced)
- MATH2970 Financial Mathematics and Optimisation (Advanced)
- STAT2912 Statistical Tests (Advanced)

You've done ECOS2902 right? How was that...? And how was ECOS3901 (assuming you've done that too)?
ECOS2902 is good fun--Yunjong's a great lecturer. Most people seem to regard it as easier than 2901. 3901 is fantastic, it moves away from consumer and firm theory that makes up first and second year and instead gives a rigorous treatment of cooperative and non-cooperative game theory, Bayesian games, auction theory (and mechanism design more broadly), and social choice theory.

sida1049

HSC
ECOS2902 is good fun--Yunjong's a great lecturer. Most people seem to regard it as easier than 2901. 3901 is fantastic, it moves away from consumer and firm theory that makes up first and second year and instead gives a rigorous treatment of cooperative and non-cooperative game theory, Bayesian games, auction theory (and mechanism design more broadly), and social choice theory.
That sounds fantastic!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)