USyd Chatter Thread 2017 (3 Viewers)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Nope. You'd think that's the most obvious solution to avoid a server overload, but it's the end of 2018 and still not a thing here
Well at least the guys at Macquarie are smart enough to figure that much out. How long does it typically take to access results?

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Anyone do Dalyell Scholars for Engineering, is it worth it.

Is USYD really garbage compared to UNSW when it comes to engineering.
Would think it depends on the engineering major you are considering

sida1049

HSC
Well at least the guys at Macquarie are smart enough to figure that much out. How long does it typically take to access results?
Usually I just access the website on the day and it's fine, though we've never received a warning email about server-side bottlenecking though - that's new.

FrequentBF4

HSC
N/A
How is Software Engineering at USYD, I already got an offer for it, I am waiting for a UNSW offer since they didnt participate in the last round.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Usually I just access the website on the day and it's fine, though we've never received a warning email about server-side bottlenecking though - that's new.
Macquarie also had a server/IT outages the other week so maybe Universities need to think about upgrades.

sida1049

HSC
Macquarie also had a server/IT outages the other week so maybe Universities need to think about upgrades.
lmao the site wouldn't load at 11pm last night and crashed at 12am

was fine after 7am this morning though, so it wasn't too bad

sida1049

HSC
How is Software Engineering at USYD, I already got an offer for it, I am waiting for a UNSW offer since they didnt participate in the last round.
From what I've heard, it's pretty good. You get more choices among units for software engineering compared to the other engineering streams. I've had experience with the comp sci units here, and they're pretty good.

The only thing you might consider is whether you're might be more interested in comp sci. I know a lot of students who switched over from software engineering to B. Science majoring in comp sci, because of much higher flexibility (more electives and a second major/minor elsewhere, e.g. maths or statistics), and you get to avoid the arguably worthless core units like 'professional engagement' and 'integrated engineering' (there aren't a lot of this kind of units, but most people who prefer to spend their credit points on more useful and directly relevant courses).

FrequentBF4

HSC
N/A
From what I've heard, it's pretty good. You get more choices among units for software engineering compared to the other engineering streams. I've had experience with the comp sci units here, and they're pretty good.

The only thing you might consider is whether you're might be more interested in comp sci. I know a lot of students who switched over from software engineering to B. Science majoring in comp sci, because of much higher flexibility (more electives and a second major/minor elsewhere, e.g. maths or statistics), and you get to avoid the arguably worthless core units like 'professional engagement' and 'integrated engineering' (there aren't a lot of this kind of units, but most people who prefer to spend their credit points on more useful and directly relevant courses).
Is it better than UNSW, but if you had the choice

UNSW Software Engineering or USYD Software Engineering with Dalyell Scholars.

sida1049

HSC
Is it better than UNSW, but if you had the choice

UNSW Software Engineering or USYD Software Engineering with Dalyell Scholars.
I'd pick USYD only because 1. it's more convenient for me to commute to, and 2. I already like it here, so I have a bias for it.

I think UNSW is a good option too. I don't really think it matters in the end, personally. You should have a look at the course structures of the different degrees (e.g. which units they offer, trimesters vs semesters, et cetera), and factor in non-academic aspects too, like which uni is convenient for you personally.

sida1049

HSC
Has everyone gotten their re-enrolment emails? I know friends who have received their's, but I haven't heard anything yet.

sida1049

HSC
Not sure if anyone still frequents this place, but:

Has anyone done MATH3977 Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Dynamics?

Though I don't have to, I'm down for another senior maths unit before honours. MATH3977 gives me the best (predicted) timetable, but is it worth doing if I have almost no background nor interest in physics? I've heard from lecturers that it's an excellent ("life-changing") course.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Not sure if anyone still frequents this place, but:

Has anyone done MATH3977 Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Dynamics?

Though I don't have to, I'm down for another senior maths unit before honours. MATH3977 gives me the best (predicted) timetable, but is it worth doing if I have almost no background nor interest in physics? I've heard from lecturers that it's an excellent ("life-changing") course.
Yeh I've taken it, albeit many many years ago. It was my favourite math course and I absolutely loved it, primarily because it was the only math course in uni where you used direct straight forward calculus to solve problems with none of the side baggage that's present in the other courses. Depends what type of math you like. I'm an applied math/phys/engineering guy, so it definitely suited me.

From what I recall, you don't need a background in physics.

sida1049

HSC
Yeh I've taken it, albeit many many years ago. It was my favourite math course and I absolutely loved it, primarily because it was the only math course in uni where you used direct straight forward calculus to solve problems with none of the side baggage that's present in the other courses. Depends what type of math you like. I'm an applied math/phys/engineering guy, so it definitely suited me.

From what I recall, you don't need a background in physics.
That sounds pretty sweet actually. Do you think I can get by with no background in physics?

Also, did you have Holger as lecturer? Were the assessments hard?

My favourite maths course so far as been measure theory, but unfortunately the only course in sem 2 that is tangentially related is financial maths, which I have mixed feelings about.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
That sounds pretty sweet actually. Do you think I can get by with no background in physics?

My favourite maths course so far as been measure theory, but unfortunately the only course in sem 2 that is tangentially related is financial maths, which I have mixed feelings about.
I had to look back at my files since it's been so long.

So, I took it in 2012, with Holger Dullin as my professor. Don't ask me if he's any good because I wouldn't know - I barely attended any math lectures during my undergrad. The one thing I do remember for this course was that I attended one lecture throughout the whole semester, and that was for the in-class quiz lol.

It wasn't hard. Tbh I found it to be the easiest math course in my undergrad, even easier than first year since it's all just straight forward calculus, nothing else.

I can send you some of the content material, including the UoS outline when I took it which states all the assumed knowledge. How do I attach files here?

blyatman

HSC
N/A

And yes you can get by without a background in physics, so I wouldn't worry about that.

sida1049

HSC
I can send you some of the content material, including the UoS outline when I took it which states all the assumed knowledge. How do I attach files here?
Oh actually yeah, that'd be fantastic! I'll pm you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)