USYD Chatter Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwk72

HSC
Re: Semester 2 USYD Chatter Thread

Hi all,
I'm doing B Comm part time with a cadetship.
Can one do BUSS1001 and CLAW1001 in the first semester followed by BUSS1030 and BUSS1040 in the second? Or is buss1030 integral for any of the others?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Semester 2 USYD Chatter Thread

Well there is the personal statement of motivation thingy that they ask you to write, although not sure how much that affects whether you get in or not.

Regarding UC, don't you get to pick the first few campus preferences? So if you don't put Merced down, then they won't give it to you right? I didn't look into it much when I applied (knew I didnt have much chance), but I thought that's how it worked. Also another number, I heard from someone (reputable, but forgotten who) that around 55 people apply for UC.
You out in preferences but UC determine which campus you end up at, even if it isn't one of your campuses.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
By the way, the US is much more expensive than Australia, so keep that in mind. If you want to do any travelling, I recommend at least $20000 for 5 weeks of travel, dorm, food etc. When you're travelling, account $20 AUD per meal if you want to eat anywhere that's not fast food (Macca's, KFC, Subway).

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi all,
I'm doing B Comm part time with a cadetship.
Can one do BUSS1001 and CLAW1001 in the first semester followed by BUSS1030 and BUSS1040 in the second? Or is buss1030 integral for any of the others?
Unless you're planning on doing ACCT1006 during the second sem, then doing 1030 in the second sem SHOULD be fine. But you said you're doing a cadetship, and I assume in accounting? It's probably better for you if you do 1030 in your first sem if I'm right.

You out in preferences but UC determine which campus you end up at, even if it isn't one of your campuses.
Oh ok, did not know that.

By the way, the US is much more expensive than Australia, so keep that in mind. If you want to do any travelling, I recommend at least $20000 for 5 weeks of travel, dorm, food etc. When you're travelling, account $20 AUD per meal if you want to eat anywhere that's not fast food (Macca's, KFC, Subway).
Also very much agree with this. If the exchange rate was 1:1, the US would be quite cheap, but it's recently hit 0.69 USD per AUD, which hurts a lot. Recently paid for my uni housing, and even though it was only 3.2k USD, it cost me nearly 5k AUD. Next time I'll probably take into account economic conditions before choosing a country I want to exchange in haha

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Unless you're planning on doing ACCT1006 during the second sem, then doing 1030 in the second sem SHOULD be fine. But you said you're doing a cadetship, and I assume in accounting? It's probably better for you if you do 1030 in your first sem if I'm right.

Oh ok, did not know that.

Also very much agree with this. If the exchange rate was 1:1, the US would be quite cheap, but it's recently hit 0.69 USD per AUD, which hurts a lot. Recently paid for my uni housing, and even though it was only 3.2k USD, it cost me nearly 5k AUD. Next time I'll probably take into account economic conditions before choosing a country I want to exchange in haha
Even if it's 1:1, lots of things wouldn't be cheap - food would be one of them. When you get sales on things to be, it'd be affordable.

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC
Choosing law at USYD or UNSW is probably one of the hardest decisions to make :)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Choosing law at USYD or UNSW is probably one of the hardest decisions to make :)
USYD because you'll feel special since we don't give out bonus points to every applicant, their SO, their dog, and pet goldfish which allow them to do law - this also means that if you're in USYD law, you're more likely to have actually gotten 99.50 and gives you some reason to be slightly more elitist. Furthermore, USYD is in a better location - unlike UNSW which is in the middle of the city and nowhere at the same time. That is, no need to catch a train, a bus, then walk. Just a train and walk. Also, more beautiful women at USYD (ie UNSW=University of No Sexy Women).

mreditor16

HSC
USYD because you'll feel special since we don't give out bonus points to every applicant, their SO, their dog, and pet goldfish which allow them to do law - this also means that if you're in USYD law, you're more likely to have actually gotten 99.50 and gives you some reason to be slightly more elitist. Furthermore, USYD is in a better location - unlike UNSW which is in the middle of the city and nowhere at the same time. That is, no need to catch a train, a bus, then walk. Just a train and walk. Also, more beautiful women at USYD (ie UNSW=University of No Sexy Women).
The bias is real

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
If you choose USYD law, have fun with your closed book law exams [emoji16]

That being said, USYD has a beautiful law building.

sida1049

HSC
That being said, USYD has a beautiful law building.
Not a fan of sandstone, but every time I go to USYD, as I pass the law building, I take a quick glimpse at it and I feel a glimmer of hope sprouting inside me.

Ununoctium

Che barba
HSC
Not a fan of sandstone, but every time I go to USYD, as I pass the law building, I take a quick glimpse at it and I feel a glimmer of hope sprouting inside me.
I personally prefer the UNSW Law building to the USYD Law building. The USYD library just feels badly designed, and I just don't architecturally understand why they've elevated the building. And the huge glass wave thing that sticks out jars with me for some reason. Idk, just my opinion.

USYD because you'll feel special since we don't give out bonus points to every applicant, their SO, their dog, and pet goldfish which allow them to do law - this also means that if you're in USYD law, you're more likely to have actually gotten 99.50 and gives you some reason to be slightly more elitist.
USYD Bonus Point Schemes (incl. Law):
- E12 (reduces ATAR to 95.00 if you can prove some financial disability and/or are located in a "under-performing" school
- Dux Scheme
- Elite Athlete and Performers (you can get the ATAR down to 97.70 if you're eligible)
- EAS (you can get the ATAR down to 97.75 if you're eligible)
- Indigenous Entry Schemes
- Mature Age Entry Schemes

Next year, UNSW will only consider LAT and EAS for Law. So, ironically, USYD will be the bonus point giver for Law next year. :)

Furthermore, USYD is in a better location - unlike UNSW which is in the middle of the city and nowhere at the same time. That is, no need to catch a train, a bus, then walk. Just a train and walk.
Randwick is HARDLY the middle of no where. Seriously, this isn't even a good point.
In fact, if you ask Google:
USYD to Sydney CBD: 13 minutes.
UNSW to Sydney CBD: 13 minutes.
And sometimes USYD can take longer because of traffic density.

sida1049

HSC
I personally prefer the UNSW Law building to the USYD Law building. The USYD library just feels badly designed, and I just don't architecturally understand why they've elevated the building. And the huge glass wave thing that sticks out jars with me for some reason. Idk, just my opinion.
They've elevated the USYD law building just so we get a better reflection of the sunset. If this doesn't stop you in your tracks and make you forget your lectures, I don't know what will.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Randwick is HARDLY the middle of no where. Seriously, this isn't even a good point.
In fact, if you ask Google:
USYD to Sydney CBD: 13 minutes.
UNSW to Sydney CBD: 13 minutes.
And sometimes USYD can take longer because of traffic density.
You're joking right?

UNSW is so much harder to get to than USYD.

To whoever asked the question, both uni's are basically equal in terms of law imo, I'd just choose whichever culture you like best.

RealiseNothing

HSC
Also looks like I'm deferring for a year (July 2016 - July 2017). Kinda sad since I won't get to do honours with my mates :(

Oh and I applied for a mathsy-finance subject through special perm and got rejected lol.

RealiseNothing

HSC
So I'm doing:

MATH3961
MATH3962
MATH3963
STAT2911

Does anyone know if doing STAT3911 would be too hard seeing as I'm just doing STAT2911 now? (so I'd be doing them at the same time)

J18134

HSC
Not that Im complaining but whats with the change to release timetables in early feb as opposed to oweek?

egress

HSC
So I'm doing:

MATH3961
MATH3962
MATH3963
STAT2911

Does anyone know if doing STAT3911 would be too hard seeing as I'm just doing STAT2911 now? (so I'd be doing them at the same time)
Ooh stochastic processes sure sound interesting. Since it looks like 2911 is a prereq, did you manage to get that waived?

RealiseNothing

HSC
Ooh stochastic processes sure sound interesting. Since it looks like 2911 is a prereq, did you manage to get that waived?
I will try get it waived (science is pretty lenient from experience), but I'm wondering if it's a good idea first before I try.

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
I managed to get a full day clear in my timetable, and it's a Friday—I can continue to work, so this is good. Every other day is 11–6 or 9–4, though, which is making me pout a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)