USYD gym (1 Viewer)

coudes

HSC
How does USYD's gym stack up in terms of price/general atmosphere/facilities/all the other shit you'd look for in a gym?

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
from what I've heard, unless you live on campus (purely convenience), it's not worth it.

Scorch

HSC
It's not that bad, especially the aquatic one over near the co-op. For ~9 a week (a lot cheaper than what I used to pay) I get unlimited access to that one, the Arena complex and the pools. It's a bit of a bitch because I don't live that close to uni but during the semester it's really, really worth it.

izzy88

HSC
I think you need to live close to uni to get value for money for the usyd gym- so that you can use it during the holidays.

Unfortunately they only have like casual/3 month/6month and yearly plans, however neither of those cover a semester (ie. 3 months too short, 6 months too long), and if you do pay for the year, then you feel ripped off if you don't go during the hols. This was more annoying for me as a college kid because i got kicked out of college in the uni hols and went home (out of sydney)- for a university gym i would have hoped they would have had a 'semester' rate, but i guess then they would lose out during the holidays. In any case, it was just frustrating in terms of feeling like i was paying for a lot of time when I wasn't there...

Acidliner

HSC
Like say you wanted to use the gym on the odd occasion.. They don't happen to have a one day cost do they?

izzy88

HSC
Like say you wanted to use the gym on the odd occasion.. They don't happen to have a one day cost do they?
You have to be a member of the sports union ($55) no matter what. But once you are a member there is a casual class or gym fee of around $20 if you just want to go for a session.

bineal

HSC
Bunch of hook nosed kikes running this scam.

Don't support this membership bullshit. Seriously USYD gym is really shit and boring, you're better off with your local gym.

HSC
so does anyone know the cost for 3/6/12 month membership assuming u are union member.

adgala

HSC
http://susf.com.au/files/SydneyUni_2011.pdf

^has all the prices for casual/3/6/12 months etc

also, the usu is not associated with sydney uni sports.

there's two gyms serving different clients:

aquatic centre (darlington): lots of cardio machines and weight machines. very limited free weights, 1kg - 30kg(??) dumbells, some barbells and a smith machine. also a lot smaller than arena. weight machines are pretty new (1-1.5 years old)

arena (camperdown): less cardio than aquatic centre. machines are older. lots of free weights, 1kg - 50kg dumbells, 2 lifting platforms with chalk, a lot of benches, a smith machine and 3 power racks. also has metal and weightlifting plates.

both gyms are probably cheaper than most places. can get pretty crowded at times with most sporting teams using arena. can be a bit intimidating at first but both are good gyms.

witide

HSC
mhm I'm nearing the end of my 12 month membership and it was pretty good

usually pretty empty at the arena in the morning and during the day but gets busy after 4-5pm

good equipment too they should have everything you need

just gotta try not to go at the same time as all the rugby players

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)