USyd Science Vs UTS Medical Science (1 Viewer)

dixie12345

HSC
I am aiming to complete an undergraduate degree in science or medical science and then go on to graduate medicine. Two degrees I am having trouble deciding between are Usyd science and UTS Medical science.

The Usyd one has great electives, but i'm worried that I won't be able to do all the subjects that a medical science course offers? I originally applied to Usyd medical science but fell 1/2 a mark short with bonus points so that's out.

If anyone who has done these courses could tell me anything about the electives (good or bad), "hands on" factor, etc. Or if you go to one of these campuses could you let me know how you find it?

Thanks!

FrozenSky

HSC
I am aiming to complete an undergraduate degree in science or medical science and then go on to graduate medicine. Two degrees I am having trouble deciding between are Usyd science and UTS Medical science.

The Usyd one has great electives, but i'm worried that I won't be able to do all the subjects that a medical science course offers? I originally applied to Usyd medical science but fell 1/2 a mark short with bonus points so that's out.

If anyone who has done these courses could tell me anything about the electives (good or bad), "hands on" factor, etc. Or if you go to one of these campuses could you let me know how you find it?

Thanks!
I do a B Medical science & Business at UTS, so i can tell you a bit about medical science :)
The campus at UTS is decent, not too shabby nor impressive. People always have an image that UTS students only studies in that hideous tower. That is not true, most of the building is located in different places around the city. In fact, if you study anything that is not engineering or IT you will mostly haves classes in other buildings. The clear advantage of UTS is that it is located in the city, so the transport is easy and you can even go watch a movie with your mates or something (if your break is really that long lol).

Now back to the "hands on" factory, I think if you were to do any science degree in Sydney then there would be plenty of lab lessons which is essentially "hands on" - so really there's nothing to really comment about the "hands on" factor. UTS also frequently promote external lab research to students, and sometimes during lecture they would relate the course materials back to current research that is happening in UTS - so essentially everything here in UTS is quite practical.

However, to be quite frank, some of the compulsory labs that you attend are very useless... For example, the labs that you have to attend for Cell Biology & Genetics does not in any way relate back to your course materials (heck it's not even included in the exam). Furthermore the non-lecturers aka tuts who run these labs are oblivious, so they really can't teach you much...
That's not to say that every lab lesson is useless, the chem lab is highly relevant to your course materials and it does actually further your knowledge in chemistry (and the tuts actually know their stuff).
So yeah, this is my 2cent based on the three science subjects I've taken i.e. chem 1 & 2 and CBG.

I cannot comment on the electives as I haven't participated in any :p

I would also like to mention about UTS' support system that is available. I honestly don't think any other UNI have as much support as UTS, if you're struggling with any subject UTS is always here to help e.g. book a one-on-one lesson with lecturer, upass (extra tutorial lessons) etc... And since our UNI doesn't rake in thousands of students like UNSW/USYD, our lectures are actually quite small in contrast to other unis (this excludes first week of uni and exam periods for obvious reasons...), so you actually get a chance to ask questions during lectures or even develop a relationship with the lecturer.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)