USYD Strike (1 Viewer)

zxreth

HSC
Maybe I'm more organised than you and care about my education. Perhaps you should learn some maturity and become educated by your surroundings.

I'd also like to add that mocking someone because of what their studying is ridiculous and petty. Arts subjects teach you how to think and incredible analytical skills.
lol k whatever helps you get to sleep at night

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
uhhh dude by teachers you mean lecturers?....., and i believe its more about general staff not lecturers, there's not exactly a point in making teaching staff casual, since that would screw themselves over on a year to year on the basis in curriculum. Due note your from the science faculty, a lot of them get money from grants so i'd be very surprised if they do participate in the strike, if they are lecturers. But sure if they are cutting academic teaching staff and not general staff as a whole they'd be ranting at the beginning of each lecturer to support the cause but i don't see that

RishBonjour

HSC
I'm passionate because I care about my education and the people who teach me. It IS about future education. It would be amazing and effective if we had 10k students protesting in support of the strike.

But what about the student protest? Does no-one care that as a result of the Gonski report, millions of dollars will be taken from universities and we'll end up having to pay for more. That's DIRECTLY impacting us, so I don't understand how people can remain so apathetic while simultaneously complaining about everything that's going on.
I'm not really affected, none of my comm teachers go on strikes, they are all paid high enough. Although some are crap and don't explain shit properly, uni IS self study + consulting with peers etc, can't expect every lecturer to be amazing, I don't.

From the little information I know, the funding (well at least most of it) is just being directed away from uni to schools. That is still education really, you can't expect the government to pull money out of no where.

And who is complaining ? No one sane. And its not like higher pay always = more passionate and enthusiastic lecturers.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
... because better teachers = better future for students so having teachers with job security (their rights) equals better academics being attracted to teaching positions and therefore better teaching
yes because obviously smarter teachers = better teachers, right

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Honestly, I don't see how having "better academics" is a good indicator of teaching quality. If anything, they'd be more concerned with they own work anyway. That's the truth about tertiary studies - why do you think teaching quality will change if they get more job security? If anything, it will have the opposite effect.

Don't call me naive but if there's no dire consequences if you don't do your job, you won't do it. In this case, doing a shit job without any consequences is a recipe for carelessness. Honestly, pay and job security is VERY GOOD at USyd - casualisation of jobs is NOT unfair. Sure, you don't get sick days and annual leave but you get a good 25% casual loading. Is that not enough?

Don't tell me that it's fighting for my future - that's a load of shit. There's reasons why teachers here don't give a fuck and it's because there's no benefits in their undergraduate students perform well.

Right now, striking further has proven that this is more of a problem to education at USyd than what you want. We have missed around and 5% of our time and we are paying for these actions.

This striking is not about students education quality, it's about personal benefit of USyd staff. Stop wasting our time and do your job - if you don't like your working conditions, find a new job.

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
Honestly, I don't see how having "better academics" is a good indicator of teaching quality. If anything, they'd be more concerned with they own work anyway. That's the truth about tertiary studies - why do you think teaching quality will change if they get more job security? If anything, it will have the opposite effect.

Don't call me naive but if there's no dire consequences if you don't do your job, you won't do it. In this case, doing a shit job without any consequences is a recipe for carelessness. Honestly, pay and job security is VERY GOOD at USyd - casualisation of jobs is NOT unfair. Sure, you don't get sick days and annual leave but you get a good 25% casual loading. Is that not enough?

Don't tell me that it's fighting for my future - that's a load of shit. There's reasons why teachers here don't give a fuck and it's because there's no benefits in their undergraduate students perform well.

Right now, striking further has proven that this is more of a problem to education at USyd than what you want. We have missed around and 5% of our time and we are paying for these actions.

This striking is not about students education quality, it's about personal benefit of USyd staff. Stop wasting our time and do your job - if you don't like your working conditions, find a new job.
+1 well said!

RishBonjour

HSC

good point on the finding the new job.

But for casualisation it depends, it could be beneficial (lecturers try their best to explain everything and make sure students like their lecture --> positive feedback and they stay in the job). But it can be place unnecessary stress on them, which can actually adversely affect their teaching. They should have more permanent staff and a few casuals (younger ones).

but yeah no one gives a fuck about the strikes in business faculty.

yes because obviously smarter teachers = better teachers, right
Aren't you the one who keeps spouting how high IQ is pretty much the best predictor of everything
fuark, so much tension here

Last edited:
HSC
Aren't you the one who keeps spouting how high IQ is pretty much the best predictor of everything
Wasn't that hayafucktardboston?

And tomorrow's strike is the national student protest in response to the 2.8bil cuts from uni's to schools, and for convenience I guess they piled on another employment rant onto it...

I'm supporting the strike about the stupidity of moving money from unis to schools (who the what).

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
Wasn't that hayafucktardboston?

And tomorrow's strike is the national student protest in response to the 2.8bil cuts from uni's to schools, and for convenience I guess they piled on another employment rant onto it...

I'm supporting the strike about the stupidity of moving money from unis to schools (who the what).
Im willing to bet my left nut that the strike will have no effect on the budget cuts to unis; not that i agree with the cuts. its really just an attempt to get students on board by saying they are 'protesting against the budget cuts' yet its a disguised attempt to complain about the working conditions again.

unfortunately both parties are gonna make the cuts, you cant win

Tasteless

HSC
ITT: Reinforcing Australia's place as both the heart and the home of unyielding apathy.

Not that that's always a bad thing I guess.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
Supported the strike by having a ripper of a wank this morning instead of going to uni.

#hashtag

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Socio-economic outcomes, yes

but Nicola et al would obviously make better teachers than me

because high IQ =/= necessarily passionate teacher

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC

zxreth

HSC
Yeah strike was pretty shit today, but then again it always is shit that's why they keep failing to get what they want.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-14/strikers-clash-with-police-at-sydney-university/4688000

*** says he was not doing anything wrong when a police officer put him in a headlock.

"I was grabbed by the neck, it would be hard to say but maybe for a minute, I felt like I was going to pass out," he said.

Mr innocent praying to baby Jesus, or maybe, just maybe, he was being an asshole and refused to cooperate with the cops.
What do the strikers expect? lol
It's Tom Raue, his own brother got on his status about it saying him to stop over reacting about everything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)