Usyd V Unsw (1 Viewer)

T

Testpilot

For engineering which university is better University or Sydney or University of New South Wales? For USYD which campus is engineering on. Thanks.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
Engineering at usyd is in the Darlington area. Unsw is pretty good in the genetic eng or sciences like i've heard that they're building some sort of artificial eye that u can implant.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Depends on your branch, neither are the best in all engineering branches.

phrred

HSC
Generally UNSW is ranked the top engineering faculty in Australia with UMelb close behind in 2nd place n USYD about 5th

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I do believe that USyd offers more vast engineering courses, or something like that. I could of course be mistaken, as I have no part in that faculty, but that's what I've heard off the grapevine.

KD

HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:
I do believe that USyd offers more vast engineering courses, or something like that. I could of course be mistaken, as I have no part in that faculty, but that's what I've heard off the grapevine.
I think you got your grapevines crossed.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
phrred said:
Generally UNSW is ranked the top engineering faculty in Australia with UMelb close behind in 2nd place n USYD about 5th
what feels like the billionth usyd vs unsw thread...

Source?

I would expect, that as with all courses, this would depend largely upon what stream of Engineering you wish to pursue.

KD

HSC
N/A
ujuphleg said:
what feels like the billionth usyd vs unsw thread...

Source?

I would expect, that as with all courses, this would depend largely upon what stream of Engineering you wish to pursue.
2005 World University Rankings. Times Higher Education Supplement. UNSW Engineering 1st in Australia and 16th in the world.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
yeh it totally depends on what stream u do. I've heard the unsw courses have a lot more hands on throughout every year, where as usyd is more of a science degree where you learn more theory. Although to be honest in my first year I built a 2 seat light sports aircraft and a remote control minature flying platform capable of carrying a video camera. Furthermore, this year we are building a satelite thats being launched into orbit next year. I admit though, some subjects have too much theory and not enough practical so there is less inclination to learn and consolidate the theory. I chose usyd cause its the only uni that offers space engineering, plus i visted both unis and liked the campus much more at usyd. So yeh, I didn;t really look into how good the courses were, because to be honest, I think both uni's will provide you with a solid degree. Those times world rankings etc have minimal impact on undegraduate studies, they focus on postgraduate work, funding, research projects etc and u get your fair share of that sitting on the engo lawns watching post grads fly/guide autonomous vehicles left right and centre.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
Does both university recommends some work experience throughout the courses?

It appears to me that at usyd there aren't much (or any) information regarding work experience. I believe this is an important aspect especially when you're not doing an extra year for "Honours".

Comparing it with years 10-12 in high school, our year advisers & career advisers would always push us to do at least a week of work exp per year (of course it's just "push" not "force"). I didn't do any lol. Though it was nice, some people went to the airport in Qantas and play with the flight sim there.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
the end of third year it is compulsory to do about 8 weeks work experience in your industry in order to go on with fourth year and graduate.
They have several programmes with companies to undertake students, i only really know of the aeronautics one where qantas takes some students each year out to the mascot base

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
all unis advise and most make compulsory practical placement, so when they say they offer it then dont go by that as being something to go by

also, dont count out uow for engineering....

i was guna go to sydney but uow offered me the money to come here so im here....but now, its actually quite good, and we have a fair few people who have come down from sydney and chose uow over them due to the location near the steelworks and other industries.....

theyll love me for this plug

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
unsw shits all over usyd for engo. usyd is quite old-fashioned in their teaching so im told by the engo people.

KD

HSC
N/A
AntiHyper said:
Does both university recommends some work experience throughout the courses?
All universities require work experience. For accreditation, the Institution of Engineers requires all Engineering undergraduates to do 12 weeks.

ioniser

HSC
Testpilot said:
For engineering which university is better University or Sydney or University of New South Wales? For USYD which campus is engineering on. Thanks.

depends in which stream you want to end up in

unsw=they dominate in most of the degrees such as chemical,biomedical,mining,enviromental,photvoltalics,electrical and there are a couple more but i cant think of them at the moment

usyd=they dominate in the space streams and aeronautical

uts= they dominate in mechanical and mechatronics ,the software and computer degrees are sought of in = strengths with unsw

NOITE this is based on the unis research and what i have listed above is what unis will dominate others in

You can see why unsw dominates and is number 1 engineering

not only that each uni has its own reputation with employers

uts have a vary good reputation with employers,as they have a 1 year engineering work practice integrated into the degree,uts has a 93 percent employment rate for graduates

usyd probably the hardest of all 3 unis, the work they study goes into extreme detail,many employers see this as a disadvantage as they have little experience in the industry and too much theory.Not only that most of the degrees usyd has to offer(the ones over 90 uai) have a very small industry in the real world which leads to their bad empolyment rate its something of about avearge of about 40 to 65 percent percent,quite often usyd grads go into the fiance industry as aerounautical,mechatronics etc has a very small industry in australia

unsw is in between both these unis,not too much theory and not too much practical experience,their graduates are not as much sought after as uts (im not sure of their statistics ) but from what i 've heard the employment rate is quite good as a percentage but if you think about it unsw accepts more students than the other 2 thus this computes to a larger number of graduates unemployed

overall unsw>uts>usyd

NOTE i go to uts

Last edited:

cccman

Banned
HSC
the latest stats on job employment on grads (on average):

USYD = 58%
UNSW = 85%
UTS = 93%

for uts when it says 5 yrs, u can actually do it in 4.5 if u do 2/4 subjects during ur interships so u would graduate faster than the typical unsw/usyd student

i kno that unsw grad salary is like 10% above average, while uts is 19% bcoz of that 1 yrs exp and sorry i dont kno usyd however if u wanna do well. pick the uni that fits you, not the uni as unsw social life is extremly shit as i keep hearing constantly.

besides at unsw, ur a number not a person

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)