UTS engineering (1 Viewer)

andrewlol

HSC
Alright so I want to get into civil engineering but I didn't do so well, atar estimate 76.
I get some bonus points for disadvantaged school and shit but still wont pass the cutoff. So I was wondering would I be able to get in the course with the uts questionnaire with an atar in the 70s?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Yes, it's definitely possible. Heres a story which will hopefully reassure you lol. There was a weird branch of ICT Engineering with no major that hardly anyone chose, because of that the cut off for it became 96 (with vacancies) which meant the lowest person who got in had an ATAR of 96 - including disadvantaged stuff + bonus marks and questionnaire. I know someone who had that as his first choice but got an atar in the mid 70s - he can actually justify 20 bonus marks through the questionnaire, school he went to and subject bonus points.

So it's possible that you might end up getting a lot of bonus points added and get in, but you really need a back up. Maybe Macq or UWS, but keep UTS first as you do have a chance.

andrewlol

HSC
wow, nice to know its possible. Yea I'll probably keep it as my 1st choice and see what happens. Do you know if a lot of people get in through the questionnaire?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
wow, nice to know its possible. Yea I'll probably keep it as my 1st choice and see what happens. Do you know if a lot of people get in through the questionnaire?
I'm not sure if they even tell you if its been succesful. I filled in one last year though and day ATAR's came out (i got exactly the cutoff for the course i'm doing without any bonus marks) i got a call and was told i was going to get an early offer from UTS if i made it first as my questionnare responses were good. Quite a few people got them calls, a friend of mine from school also got one and he didn't even properly attempt one question as he couldn't think of anything he had made which showed Engineering design. So if your question was "Are they super strict?" - i'd say no.

mhrumman

HSC
I'm not sure if they even tell you if its been succesful. I filled in one last year though and day ATAR's came out (i got exactly the cutoff for the course i'm doing without any bonus marks) i got a call and was told i was going to get an early offer from UTS if i made it first as my questionnare responses were good. Quite a few people got them calls, a friend of mine from school also got one and he didn't even properly attempt one question as he couldn't think of anything he had made which showed Engineering design. So if your question was "Are they super strict?" - i'd say no.
I just got the call this arvo for early entry to eng and business it's already my first preference mission accomplished. When do they give the offers out though in early jan or main round?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I just got the call this arvo for early entry to eng and business it's already my first preference mission accomplished. When do they give the offers out though in early jan or main round?
Congratulations! It's early january - was on the 14th this year which was the same day as info day and two weeks before main round.

mhrumman

HSC
Thanks :) Does the B Engineering/B Business degree include the diploma of engineering practice?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Thanks :) Does the B Engineering/B Business degree include the diploma of engineering practice?
Nope, not through UAC. You can apply after first semester into it as an internal transfer. So simple, i did it last semester.

andrewlol

HSC
Just got the offer for B engineering B business ! cheering haha.

What's the diploma of engineering practice? and do I need it?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Just got the offer for B engineering B business ! cheering haha.

What's the diploma of engineering practice? and do I need it?
Congratulations! As a combined student, you dont need it. It's optional. Basically it extends the course a further year but it means you get to do two 6 month paid (unless you choose a charity or something) internships during your course. I dont understand the process fully but after you graduate you are also closer to becoming a chartered engineer by Engineers Australia.

andrewlol

HSC
Oh yea I mainly wanted UTS for the work experience. So 6 years all up? If i didn't do the diploma in eng prac would I still be recognised by Engineers Australia?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Oh yea I mainly wanted UTS for the work experience. So 6 years all up? If i didn't do the diploma in eng prac would I still be recognised by Engineers Australia?
Yeah 6 years. You'll still be recognised by Engineers Australia when you graduate, but to graduate without the diploma you will need to get 2 weeks industry experience as a prerequisite. Same thing at any uni but the 12 months of experience that you get with the diploma obviously overrides that.

andrewlol

HSC
oh i see, might as well do 6 years then. Also, I'm trying to enroll in subjects atm but i don't get how this works. I picked civil engineering and finance, so do i tick the enroll box on all of the subjects and pick Autumn cit campus?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Pretty much, then you have to go to the mysubjects site and pick the lectures/tutes you want to attend. I also suggest enrolling in Spring subjects and maybe doing the timetables for that now too. Also you dont need to pick your major for business for awhile, and why finance? No offence but finance and civil are quite different lol.

andrewlol

HSC
I don't know tbh, I just thought i had to pick right now and it somehow doesn't let me undo it atm. When i tick the enroll boxes i could pick autumn or spring, while some subjects are just spring so I should just enroll in all of them and do autumn?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I don't know tbh, I just thought i had to pick right now and it somehow doesn't let me undo it atm. When i tick the enroll boxes i could pick autumn or spring, while some subjects are just spring so I should just enroll in all of them and do autumn?
Look at the reccomended course plan on the site.

andrewlol

HSC
Yea should be all sorted now, just one last question. How many subjects am i suppose to enroll in in a semester? Atm I've got 5, Integrating Business Perspectives, Mathematical Modelling 1, Engineering Communication, Introduction to Civil, and Physical Modelling. Seems like a lot is it possible to do 4?

suani

HSC
hey,
I filled out the questionaire as well and my atar was in mid 80s...

Then i got a early Jan offer...in Biomed Eng so... you will be fine. :D

Gigacube

HSC
Yea should be all sorted now, just one last question. How many subjects am i suppose to enroll in in a semester? Atm I've got 5, Integrating Business Perspectives, Mathematical Modelling 1, Engineering Communication, Introduction to Civil, and Physical Modelling. Seems like a lot is it possible to do 4?
You're supposed to be doing 4 subjects per semester unless you plan on overloading. Make sure you check the Handbook for what subjects you should be enrolling in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)