• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Uts jd / unsw jd (1 Viewer)

PashaMon

HSC
N/A
Hi all,

As a precursory note, I am a graduate from the University of Sydney with a BEd (Hons 1M) and BArts (Hons 1).

After 18 months of disenchantment in the secondary education profession, I am considering undertaking a J.D at either UNSW or UTS.

Succeeding much investigation into the UNSW JD and UTS JD, which suggests that UNSW is at the forefront of law studies, in terms of both compulsory and elective offerings and distinguished academic staff, it seems almost irrational to be debating these two options. Notwithstanding this, it is the following piece of information that drives my debate: UTS has the highest graduate employment rate of any law school in NSW. Admittedly, this information is derived from the UTS website.

I have consulted Barristers widely on this topic; they have, informed by their own admitted loyalties and allegiances, suggested either Sydney or UNSW. One, in fact, remarked that ‘UTS is about twenty years behind in reputation’.

I suppose what I’m seeking is a number of responses offering advice about the reality of both the ostensible gap between the universities and the employment prospects upon graduation at each institution.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Best regards,
P.

DeVenne

HSC
N/A
The JD at UNSW is one semester longer than the UTS JD. This is because the PLT at UTS is built into the degree, which means you don't have to enrol in the College of Law. For me this was a significant selling point, I am in my 7th year at uni and the thought of spending an extra semester at uni, and then another doing a grad cert does not appeal.

I am unsure of the employment prospects of both universities. I have read that USYD, UNSW and UTS are on par in terms of percentage employed after graduation.

UNSW do Criminal Law and Contracts over two semesters, I believe. Whereas UTS conduct these subjects in just one.

This is all I know in regards to your question sorry. Why UNSW appears to have a good reputation is beyond me, besides the fact they employ Michael Kirby.

miaowsha

HSC
The JD at UNSW is one semester longer than the UTS JD. This is because the PLT at UTS is built into the degree, which means you don't have to enrol in the College of Law. For me this was a significant selling point, I am in my 7th year at uni and the thought of spending an extra semester at uni, and then another doing a grad cert does not appeal.

I am unsure of the employment prospects of both universities. I have read that USYD, UNSW and UTS are on par in terms of percentage employed after graduation.

UNSW do Criminal Law and Contracts over two semesters, I believe. Whereas UTS conduct these subjects in just one.

This is all I know in regards to your question sorry. Why UNSW appears to have a good reputation is beyond me, besides the fact they employ Michael Kirby.
UNSW has a good reputation because they cover more content. UTS = cereal box vs UNSW. Even look at undergrad... What undergrad FIRST YEAR COURSES at UNSW cover in 1 week, UTS smears it into 3-5 weeks... The fact that UTS covers something in 1 semester and UNSW in 2 simply means that UTS does a basic surface understanding of the topics and UNSW goes into great depth immediately, pwns UTS in 3-4 weeks then develops further knowledge that the deadbeats at UTS will never get.

:) Clearly, you should go to UTS if you don't understand that ^_^ Stay the fuck away from UNSW, hell even put "UTS PRIDE" on your resume... it'll only help me get the better jobs ;)

spence

HSC
UNSW has a good reputation because they cover more content. UTS = cereal box vs UNSW. Even look at undergrad... What undergrad FIRST YEAR COURSES at UNSW cover in 1 week, UTS smears it into 3-5 weeks... The fact that UTS covers something in 1 semester and UNSW in 2 simply means that UTS does a basic surface understanding of the topics and UNSW goes into great depth immediately, pwns UTS in 3-4 weeks then develops further knowledge that the deadbeats at UTS will never get.

:) Clearly, you should go to UTS if you don't understand that ^_^ Stay the fuck away from UNSW, hell even put "UTS PRIDE" on your resume... it'll only help me get the better jobs ;)
So when UTS takes longer to do something, its because it's shit, but when UNSW takes longer, its because UNSW 'goes into great depth'? Awesome argument there

miaowsha

HSC
So when UTS takes longer to do something, its because it's shit, but when UNSW takes longer, its because UNSW 'goes into great depth'? Awesome argument there
Hah, they do the homework in lectures at UTS. UNSW relies on students being self-sufficient and doing their own work :) That's how they fill up their lecture times at UTS, no joke. UTS don't go into any more depth than UNSW. UNSW goes into a lot of depth in their subjects straight away in 99% of cases. You should really do an English course before you attempt to pluck straws from my posts :)

HBK_9

ThE sHoWsToPPa
HSC
hahaha miaowsha, you deluded individual, you won't get very far in life

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)