UTS makes compulsory math subject for undergraduates (1 Viewer)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Note - if the link isn't working for you, just google it up.

A good initiative for most courses, especially for degrees such as Business (although Business Statistics, which is a 1st year UTS Business subject, already covers concepts such as probability, averages, etc.) or Science.

Not so much Engineering or Actuarial Studies (not offered by UTS though) students because those courses demand a much higher level of mathematics.

It'll be of little use for Arts or Law students. However, a foundational mathematics subject can be useful to an extent for any degree.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
It's not even really 'Maths' anyway. It's knowing how to interpret statistics correctly, which even some of the best mathematicians can't do properly. I might consider making a thread on everyday misconceptions in probability in statistics in the EC section of the Maths forum because it is quite a common problem unless you are well trained in understanding statistics and probability.

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
It's not even really 'Maths' anyway. It's knowing how to interpret statistics correctly, which even some of the best mathematicians can't do properly. I might consider making a thread on everyday misconceptions in probability in statistics in the EC section of the Maths forum because it is quite a common problem unless you are well trained in understanding statistics and probability.
I would read that!

Yeah its a good move I think.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
It'll be of little use for Arts or Law students. However, a foundational mathematics subject can be useful to an extent for any degree.
I think that's the exact type of people who would benefit the most from this - people with courses with no math subjects. Based on the article, this subject seems to be about teaching the basic mathematical skills useful in every day life that should have been learnt in school that a lot of people dont understand.

It might be hard for the average BoSer to comprehend, but i've seen a lot of first year business students struggle or epic fail with the simple maths involved in figuring out how many marks you need in a final to pass. (yes, I realise the article mentions stats - but wouldnt be surprised if it also boosted peoples memories about basic maths haha)

Confound

HSC
higher level mathematics and problem solving units should be made compulsory imo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)