UTS networking essentials vs networking fundamentals (1 Viewer)

astroman

HSC
Hey guys,

Is there any difference between these two subjects, I'm in IT so i'm not to sure on which of these I am supposed to be doing. I'm enrolled in networking fundamentals but some sources say this is for engineering students as opposed to IT students?

30june2016

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys,

Is there any difference between these two subjects, I'm in IT so i'm not to sure on which of these I am supposed to be doing. I'm enrolled in networking fundamentals but some sources say this is for engineering students as opposed to IT students?
Yeah I'm pretty sure that IT students, especially those who want to major in internetworking are advised to choose network essentials ):

the_matrix

HSC
I did essentials and it was very chaotic in the first half of the session. From what I heard from my friends who did Fundamentals, there are slight differences such as essentials use packet tracer to make networks whilst fundamentals use Wireshark and python. Essentials use the Cisco NetAcademy CCNA 1 for their lecture/tutorial notes, I'm not sure what Fundamentals use.

I quote my friend: "Both courses are hard but you hear less whining and frustration from fundamentals kids as opposed to essentials kids"

If you decide to do essentials it's quite interesting but ain't easy at all (I was 3 marks off distinction), although your understanding of networks will be so much greater than the average IT student who didn't take networking. If you need notes for essentials I can send you some.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
You can do whichever one you like, they are anti-requisites of each other.
This split is a carry over from when the IT and engineering faculty were separate. A long time ago there were even separate subjects for programming fundamentals etc.

When I did them (~6 years ago), they were identical and had the same coordinator. The only difference was that the final exam in fundamentals had a hurdle mark to pass (40%), and essentials didn't.

They may have diverged further since then however, it appears the assessments are now different and the current essentials is closer to what both were like when I did them.

Even back when I did them, I recall the IT students whinging more about networking ;P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)