UTS or UNSW: civil engineering. (1 Viewer)

luke42

HSC
Hi,

I'm tossing up at the moment which university would be better for Civil engineering.

I am wanting to do Civil engineering, UTS has the extra year of practical work and is a lot closer to me in terms of commuting.

Just wondering which you think is the better course.

cheers,
luke.

witide

HSC
At UNSW you'll finish faster and have an extra year of real work.

I've gone for UTS because it's easier to get to.

witide

HSC
Dunno, I'm transferring from USYD. I doubt UTS vs UNSW will really affect me later in life though.

ATAR_boy

HSC
do you regret it?
It doesnt matter which University you go to. Its just alot of the Engineering companies/firms believe that UNSW has more prestige than UTS.

AND LOL, Civil Engineering is only for people who are seriously interested in the subject, as I've seen an increased drop-out rate in the 3rd & 4th year of the course. Its not easy, you gotta work for your marks. thats it :party:

ATAR_boy

HSC
Dunno, I'm transferring from USYD. I doubt UTS vs UNSW will really affect me later in life though.
exactly, it shouldnt affect anything. Its just some companies are biased towards UNSW degrees..i cant understand why though..:confused:

red-butterfly

HSC
It's probably like how law firms prefer law graduates from Usyd

i dont think it should matter too much where you go

theundefined

HSC
based on my experience ; of asking opinions from both sides of the coin. Unsw is better for civil because of it's facilities, and having the best range of teaching staff. It's experience/vocation part of the course is shorter, it's towards the end. Except it's more targeted towards you getting out there and being really involved in engineering.

At Uts there is two sets of 6 month vocation, 2nd year and around 3-4th year I think. It's longer and it may appear as the more experience the better, it may not always be the case. Because my friend a graduate from unsw, saw uts students during his vocation for this company just stacking papers. Whilst he got involved in organising 300,000 dollar contracts.

But this should not let you biased about it. Because ultimately when you do practical experience you have to find your own company to work with. There was a rumour once that Uts students always end up with council work and it's boring, I think that's just cus of the RTA scholarship and the connections with the councils to make it easier, But still like unsw you still have to go out and find your own work. And with UTS if you find a good place you will get 1 year of awesome experience, whereas at unsw if you found a shit place, or you find a place you don't like you get like a short period of shit experience essentially.

Other stereotypes is that with UTS, the students are more laid back and fun (also note that there are "less asians" at uts), so they might seem a little sloppier compared to unsw. When I went to both unsw and uts, the info lectures, stated rankings. In overal performance uts had a higher ranking for job oppurtunities, I think around 80-90% students after graduation. But at UNSW it was rated first I think for JUST civil. So it really depends on what you want. However if you just cbf to go on a bus and training it etc just go uts. It's easier. But really at the end u get the same piece of paper, both are respected institutions.

I know this may be a bit late for u. But I hope others can use this for future preferences.

Oh. Btw. I'm going to UTS, for engineering and arts, international like the person above me LOL...but long story short. I was suposed to go to unsw for engineering and commerce, But UAC screwed my perferences up so it deleted or Lost my final preferences and reinstated my old one form 2009. I'm going to call them that their system has got a malfunction. But now I cbf to change to unsw and Now I have a reason to go to uts, because originally I put unsw first before uts. So you might as say in this case, fate chose uts for me LOl but now im glad I dont have to take a 10000000 mile journey to unsw, and plus i can travel overseas now ;)

Last edited:

skyline

Proud Aurion TRD owner
HSC
N/A
uts i think is pretty crappy, the only thing making it a wow uni for engineering is that work experience, which is pretty pointless if your guna work anyway and engineering is in demand..especially civil.

without it, uts is juz another shadow of unsw and usyd, i know coz plenty of guys doin eng at usyd and unsw make fun of uts...at the end of the day, comes down to the same thing, even if you went uws or the like, same shit.

choose a uni thats best for you, and if your happy with the program they offer go for it, goodluck.

ar7

HSC
luke 42

i c u do 2u maths but dont ya gotta do ext 1 maths? aint it assumed knowledge for engineering?

im also tossing up wer i should apply for civil engineering

does nyone noe how many ruffly apply and get accepted to civil engineering? do u hav to get 95+ to get into civil engineering at usyd or unsw? btw i noe the cut off is about 90 but do heaps apply?

Last edited:

witide

HSC
luke 42

i c u do 2u maths but dont ya gotta do ext 1 maths? aint it assumed knowledge for engineering?

im also tossing up wer i should apply for civil engineering

does nyone noe how many ruffly apply and get accepted to civil engineering? do u hav to get 95+ to get into civil engineering at usyd or unsw? btw i noe the cut off is about 90 but do heaps apply?
I'm pretty sure all UNSW engineering is around 89, whereas USYD will go from 86 to 99. Civil was at the lower end I think. Although UNSW will accept you for a lot less because of the HSC plus and FEAS scheme.

There are quite a few engineering enrollments, but I'm not sure how many exactly for each discipline. You're best off checking the offers online.

http://community.boredofstudies.org/offers2010.php

It's best if you're done extension maths at school, but in the end it's not too important. I know one guy who's doing fine with just general maths (and a lot of bridging/fundamental courses), and another who did 2unit and got distinction in first year maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)