UTS, UNSW or USYD (1 Viewer)

micuzzo

HSC
ok before people start jumping down my throat i no that i have made several threads similar to this one ... but now thing are different..

ok... to cut the story short I have won 3 scholarships: Co-op at UTS for Mechanical Engineering, Merit at USYD for the faculty of Engineering and IT and Co-op at UNSW for Business Information Technology (BIT).

ok i want some advice/opinions on to help me to decide what to choose... I always wanted to do something with computers but i found that cos so many ppl do it already, i shuld choose engineering as my career path. However i am also interested in business and hence, i guess i wouldnt mind BIT. Although i do believe that i would like practical hands on sort of work more than being in an office all day.

IM NOT ASKING YOU TO MAKE A DECISION FOR ME... so to the ppl who think this, please dont post 'make up ur own mind' I hoping that someone on here has done some of these courses n can tell if they are what they think their meant to be.

Also if someone culd give me some advice on the possiblity of future work with such course that would be great.

Again ill say this: please be serious with your replies... dont waste my time and yours by comenting on things like spelling and that others cannot make up my find for me bcoz thats not what im looking for.

THANK YOU:spin:

Cazic

HSC
What courses did you do during your HSC, how do you rate them, and why do you rate them that way?

micuzzo

HSC
Adv Eng, Physics, Chem, Business Studies, 3U Maths, Industrial Tech,

I did like maths n science.. however i would say that Business Studies was one of my favourite subjects... I wasnt too fond of english, however i did not hate it...

i guess i like maths n science becoz i like to solve problems...

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
UNSW is one of the best universities for engineering, from what I've heard.

It really just depends on what course you want to do though. UTS, USyd and UNSW are all relatively high quality universities.

micuzzo

HSC
yes i was planning to go to unsw for engo, but now that uts has offered me a scholarship i will go ther if i choose engo...
well the course are basically Engineering or IT at USYD, Engineering at UTS and BIT at UNSW...

EDIT: im prepared to go to any of the 3 so regarding things like prestige or watnot i dont really care... i just want a good education with chance of a good job wen i finish.

Last edited:

Cazic

HSC
Adv Eng, Physics, Chem, Business Studies, 3U Maths, Industrial Tech,

I did like maths n science.. however i would say that Business Studies was one of my favourite subjects... I wasnt too fond of english, however i did not hate it...

i guess i like maths n science becoz i like to solve problems...
BIT is going to be light on the problem solving and heavy on the "English" side of things, but if business was your favourite subject in the HSC then maybe this is your thing. If solving problems was really your thing, then obviously engineering.

LordPc

HSC
BIT is a business degree, not a computing one. if you were to compare it to a pure computing degree (comp sci, comp eng), they share 1 course in common. just think of commerce, but instead of majoring in finance, you major in info systems

so if you like the sound of that, then unsw. if you want to do mech eng, uts, otherwise, usyd

ok i want some advice/opinions on to help me to decide what to choose... I always wanted to do something with computers but i found that cos so many ppl do it already, i shuld choose engineering as my career path.
more people do mech eng than computing

untouchablecuz

HSC
financially speaking:

UTS Co-op Mech = (12k) + (1 year of paid internships at around 250 per week) ~ 25k for 52 weeks work
UNSW Co-op BIT = 75k + (72 weeks unpaid work) ~ 75k for 72 weeks work which equates to 54k for 52 weeks work
Usyd Merit = 6k for 4 years = 24k for 0 weeks work

in terms of courses, you decide mate :)

personally, if i was set on mechanical engineering, i would choose Usyd and find paid vacation work on the holidays (which wouldn't be hard for you as evident from 3 scholarship offers)

micuzzo

HSC
BIT is going to be light on the problem solving and heavy on the "English" side of things, but if business was your favourite subject in the HSC then maybe this is your thing. If solving problems was really your thing, then obviously engineering.
hmm i dont no if i wuld like that...

BIT is a business degree, not a computing one. if you were to compare it to a pure computing degree (comp sci, comp eng), they share 1 course in common. just think of commerce, but instead of majoring in finance, you major in info systems
oh ok that makes it a bit clearer...

micuzzo

HSC
financially speaking:

UTS Co-op Mech = (12k) + (1 year of paid internships at around 250 per week) ~ 25k for 52 weeks work
UNSW Co-op BIT = 75k + (72 weeks unpaid work) ~ 75k for 72 weeks work which equates to 54k for 52 weeks work
Usyd Merit = 6k for 4 years = 24k for 0 weeks work

in terms of courses, you decide mate :)

personally, if i was set on mechanical engineering, i would choose Usyd and find paid vacation work on the holidays (which wouldn't be hard for you as evident from 3 scholarship offers)
Y USYD, just curious...

Actually BIT is 4 yrs so $60000, but its not for the money... i dont care for it... problem is i was told today that i have been offered Coop at UNSW and i need to make a decision by 2moro lol...hard ppl haard... prolly better if i never applied lol...

untouchablecuz

HSC
(1) many have told me once you get into an engineering course, no employer cares which uni you went to
(2) just as easy to get to Usyd as UTS (transport)
(3) you don't have to do 1 year of work experience at Usyd (i'm very lazy :p)
(4) you get paid 1k more at UTS for 1 year more of work. in this year, you could be working as a graduate earning 40k

so basically, you get more for less at Usyd

i personally turned down a 48k civil RTA scholarship at UTS for 75k electrical co op at UNSW

superdan7

HSC
What's the social difference between ANU and USYD?

Which one is better for international law / politics?

What about UNSW? What is it's law reputation like?

SIT

HSC
N/A
You should also consider the five year BIT/BCom combined degree at USYD. The BIT degree is very flexible and you can either major in computer science or information systems. In BCom you can major in Finance, Economics etc. One of the key skills you will learn in BIT in USYD is how to design and analyse algorithms. Much of engineering and finance are now heavily dependent on the use of algorithms -google the phrase "Algorithmic Trading."

For example, the new government initiatives of a National Broadband Network (NBN) and the Carbon Emission Trading Scheme(ETS) will rely extensively on the use of algorithms for implementation. USYD has some of Australia's leading researchers in Algorithms.

If your interests are more in Business then you can do an Information Systems major in BIT. Most BIT students have no problem finding high end jobs with leading consulting companies and software companies like Google and Microsoft. Many also stay on further to do a PhD.

micuzzo

HSC
just incase ppl wanted to kno.. im gonna go for engo... i think i wuld like BIT but i'd probably enjoy engo more.... scholarship decisions are more stressful than HSC!!!

snorlaxx

Banned
HSC
just incase ppl wanted to kno.. im gonna go for engo... i think i wuld like BIT but i'd probably enjoy engo more.... scholarship decisions are more stressful than HSC!!!
well if your considering engineering for UNSW then go for it. I would only consider BIT @ Usyd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)