UTS Vs UNSW for engineering .. (1 Viewer)

pacman911

HSC
unsw is renowned for its engineering, ranked better then UTS too (or so they say). work is more difficult, comparing some of my math+phys to those in both UTS and USYD

nutting

HSC
UTS is near the city centre, train stations...UNSW is far away from these amenities

HSC
u penks

no one has attended both those courses, no one knows which is "better"

choose the one that is easiest on you: i.e. accomo, transport, course structure, prac exp. whatever. Get the one you like most, do well at it, network like a boss and you'll be right. The only reason why unis like UNSW etc are "gr8" is because they have a good campaign of pulling top students because of the "prestige". It's the same as ruse. Do you honestly believe that going to ruse, you will get access to some hidden tome of knowledge given to you by the top teachers of australia? No. Ruse does well because the kids are hardworking and azn.

so the moral of the story, I guess is, be azn.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
UNSW has more options. At UNSW for Civil Engineering for example you can branch into Structural, Water, Roads and Highways, Geotechnical and Constructions while at UTS you can only do Structural and Construction. Also imo the course for civil engineering is structured better imo in that they teach more fundamental background theory first before going into practical applications in later years for UTS they get into design to early imo.
u penks

no one has attended both those courses, no one knows which is "better"

choose the one that is easiest on you: i.e. accomo, transport, course structure, prac exp. whatever. Get the one you like most, do well at it, network like a boss and you'll be right. The only reason why unis like UNSW etc are "gr8" is because they have a good campaign of pulling top students because of the "prestige". It's the same as ruse. Do you honestly believe that going to ruse, you will get access to some hidden tome of knowledge given to you by the top teachers of australia? No. Ruse does well because the kids are hardworking and azn.

so the moral of the story, I guess is, be azn.
You never hear of UNSW engo students transferring out to UTS, but I have met plenty of UTS students that have transferred to UNSW.

andyunderpants

HSC
UNSW has more options. At UNSW for Civil Engineering for example you can branch into Structural, Water, Roads and Highways, Geotechnical and Constructions while at UTS you can only do Structural and Construction. Also imo the course for civil engineering is structured better imo in that they teach more fundamental background theory first before going into practical applications in later years for UTS they get into design to early imo.

You never hear of UNSW engo students transferring out to UTS, but I have met plenty of UTS students that have transferred to UNSW.
The reason a lot of UTS engineering students transfer to UNSW is because it is mandatory for students at UTS to complete a 6 month full time internship before they reach their 3rd year of study or a certain amount of credit points (don't remember the specific number) and when they reach a certain stage of study and still haven't found an internship yet they are forced to completely withdraw from their studies and look for a internship full time. Hence, the reason why most students transfer to UNSW or USYD is to avoid withdrawal.

Engineering is the same everywhere, i don't think it really matters where you learn it. I choose UTS because when i graduate, i'll have a years experience under my belt and experience is what most employers look for.

Beaconite

Banned
HSC
The reason a lot of UTS engineering students transfer to UNSW is because it is mandatory for students at UTS to complete a 6 month full time internship before they reach their 3rd year of study or a certain amount of credit points (don't remember the specific number) and when they reach a certain stage of study and still haven't found an internship yet they are forced to completely withdraw from their studies and look for a internship full time. Hence, the reason why most students transfer to UNSW or USYD is to avoid withdrawal.

Engineering is the same everywhere, i don't think it really matters where you learn it. I choose UTS because when i graduate, i'll have a years experience under my belt and experience is what most employers look for.
does uni help in finding the internship? or we have to find by ourself?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)