UWS as a uni? (1 Viewer)

lind27

HSC
Thanx for ur post. So wats cool about UWS, What course are u doing. It's that all of my mates say its good a bad rep but im not sure if thats just the northern beaches attitude.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
It depends what your doing, most courses are alright. It does have a crap reputation due to us being westies, but yeah the social life is also lacking.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I think the crap reputation has more to do with the calibre of the lecturers. From what I've heard, barely any of them speak le anglais

G

Gavvvvvin

Well from my experience I would rate the quality of all my lecturers/tutors as being good - excellent. Just because lectureres at other unis may have more experience in their respective field, doesnt mean this is relevant to what they are teaching or their abilities as a lecturer. I would rate all the lectureres I had at USNW as being poor (with the exception of one). Most of them cant speak English either.

jess-i-k

HSC
People talk down UWS because its for the westies
but they do jsut as well
or they better because i put an application in there:p
but theres 5 bonus points involved so i dont see anything wrong with it lol :lol:

Lara1986

HSC
katie tully said:
I think the crap reputation has more to do with the calibre of the lecturers. From what I've heard, barely any of them speak le anglais
Well, then, at least in my experience - what you have heard is wrong.

I have only had from memory 3 lecturers in 4 years with 'accents' and only one was a bit difficult to understand.

Gavvvvvin said:
... Just because lectureres at other unis may have more experience in their respective field, doesnt mean this is relevant to what they are teaching or their abilities as a lecturer. ...
Not so - apart from the fact that the lecturers don't necessarily have less experience that at other unis, a lot of the lecturers at uws ARE the lecturers at other unis as a lot teach at more than one place :)

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Well no, it doesn't mean what I've heard is wrong, it just means in your experience you haven't had many international lecturers.

My friend has. And has stated to me, the biggest issues she has with UWS are the lecturers.

Not saying it's a shit uni, just saying I've heard there seems to be a lot of lecturers of whom English is not their native language ;)

white ferret

HSC
Wooz said:
It depends what your doing, most courses are alright. It does have a crap reputation due to us being westies, but yeah the social life is also lacking.
by social life, do u mean clubs and societies? i cant seem to find any on their website... uni would just be dull if u dont get to join anything!

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Wooz said:
Both, there are a few events organised by the universities own company uwsconnect, but there isn't any real appeal to students.

Their is a lack of clubs and societies because of the multi-campus nature of UWS.

www.uwsconnect.com.au
http://uwssa.org.au/Clubs and Societies.htm
katie tully said:
Well no, it doesn't mean what I've heard is wrong, it just means in your experience you haven't had many international lecturers.

My friend has. And has stated to me, the biggest issues she has with UWS are the lecturers.

Not saying it's a shit uni, just saying I've heard there seems to be a lot of lecturers of whom English is not their native language ;)
Their are alot of casuals, casualistion is a huge problem for UWS, also alot of them are at UWS since they couldn't get employed by other univerisities.

I always get atleast one fob lecturer every semester. It really sux.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
CSU got one last semester. He was really. Really bad.

Subsequently fired.

Had him for Chem. Really bad.

Lara1986

HSC
Wooz said:
Their are alot of casuals, casualistion is a huge problem for UWS, also alot of them are at UWS since they couldn't get employed by other univerisities.

I always get atleast one fob lecturer every semester. It really sux.
Out of curiosity - what course do you do?

I agree with the casualisation aspect to an extent, although family members at other unis doing different degrees have complained about the same thing so i don't know how much of that is a UWS thing or just a general trend.

Just curious as I have done a Business (HRM and IR) degree and am doing a law degree and form speaking to lecturers/tutors - i am yet to hear of any who are working at UWS because they couldn't get work elsewhere.

Seems from my experience that a huge number of them teach at UWS because they want to, eg because they don't agree with the UWS stigma and want to help fix the problem I guess, or they teach at a number of places because they're passionate about a particular subject so teach that area at a few unis etc

I know a fair few used to teach elsewhere and are pretty experienced but chose to teach at UWS or other 'non city' unis because of the different approach to teaching and all those kinds of things.

Last edited:

Lara1986

HSC
katie tully said:
Lol i don't mean to sound rude but, duh :p - that is why i said that in my experience that isn't true :p and for clarification sake my experience = lecturers from the School of Law, School of Management, School of ER and School of Eco and Finance

Others may be different, but in my experience it's no worse than any other uni or school or tafe etc.

Also - so that people don't have any misconceptions, international doesn't = bad teacher with bad accent, sometimes they are the best ones for units that focus on international issues etc because of the first hand experience :)

Last edited:

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Lara1986 said:
Out of curiosity - what course do you do?

I agree with the casualisation aspect to an extent, although family members at other unis doing different degrees have complained about the same thing so i don't know how much of that is a UWS thing or just a general trend.

Just curious as I have done a Business (HRM and IR) degree and am doing a law degree and form speaking to lecturers/tutors - i am yet to hear of any who are working at UWS because they couldn't get work elsewhere.

Seems from my experience that a huge number of them teach at UWS because they want to, eg because they don't agree with the UWS stigma and want to help fix the problem I guess, or they teach at a number of places because they're passionate about a particular subject so teach that area at a few unis etc

I know a fair few used to teach elsewhere and are pretty experienced but chose to teach at UWS or other 'non city' unis because of the different approach to teaching and all those kinds of things.
PM'd

The academics that tend to have problems are usually in lesser roles as demonstrators and tutors, I've recieved dozens of student complaints in regards to a few of them. Their are only a handful of 'poor' unit co-ordinators and lecturers though.

There are some great lecturers, but they seem to be in the minority now.

Last edited:

Lara1986

HSC
Wooz said:
PM'd

The academics that tend to have problems are usually in lesser roles as demonstrators and tutors, I've recieved dozens of student complaints in regards to a few of them. Their are only a handful of 'poor' unit co-ordinators and lecturers though.

There are some great lecturers, but they seem to be in the minority now.
PM'd back.

I was mainly pointing out i suppose the more 'positive' side as the way most people in these forums seems to view debate as to UWS is to ignore any positives and believe the negatives offered, so it was valid to offer them.

As i said in my PM - in my experience having finished one degree and completing another with units from various different schools, it seems that these kinds of problems are not prevalent in these schools.

I am aware that certain colleges/schools have experienced significant problems - but, others have not and it's important to separate them as although all part of the one collective uni, they shouldn't be lumped with the same criticism that others validly receive :)

Yes UWS does have a crap load of problems but there are schools within the uni that are taking positive steps to overcome these things :)

Last edited:

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
lizziegirl said:
btw wooz i think i saw one of ur posters advertising a forensics club on several noticeboards @ hawkes campus ;) hows that going?
Their not mine.

The problem with forensics club is that most students don't live in the local area, and the ones that are members cbf'd doing anything or helping.

Apart from that, the movie night event on the poster got had about 12 or so people going.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
I have had problems with teachers and English at UWS. However, these guys were exclusive to the School of Economics and Finance - law school was fine.

My first year Microeconomics tutor was utter crap at English. Then there are those who can speak English fine but because of their accents you just have no clue what they're saying.

Demandred

HSC
Out of a few dozen lecturers/tutors, I only had 3 really crappy lecturers/tutors. Lara would agree with me for Admin Law :)

Heya Ari, you didn't have Mamta did you? She was really boring and so hard to understand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)