UWS as a uni? (1 Viewer)

Lara1986

HSC
Demandred said:
Out of a few dozen lecturers/tutors, I only had 3 really crappy lecturers/tutors. Lara would agree with me for Admin Law :)
Haha definitely :) fortunately Admin was one of those classes where you learnt more from the textbook and your own research and common sense than the teacher lol :)

Che08

HSC
UWS is a fair uni, i mean its penny-pinching like all unis and sometimes a little unorganised but that will happen anywhere. And im a little more understanding when you think about the size of the uni. Mostly i just love the people there (no they are not all westies) but they are a little more genuine, a little more friendly and yeah makes it more of a pleasant experience.

Ive only ever had an issue with one lecturer (because shes so darn quiet you cant actually hear her) and another tutor that well is FOB and teaching a subject that she just doesnt seem to know anything about (considering its on Australian Communities )

Lara1986

HSC
Che08 said:
the people there (no they are not all westies)
That's actually really true - of the people i've been in classes with at uni, few are 'westies' - a lot live in the Hills district or heading towards Strathfield direction or in Northern suburbs and the people who act like "westies" are not all necessarily from the west.

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
The law school had some great ones though.

Are Katrina and Scott still there? and did Simon come back.

I had one or two law ones that were crap (one who was also teaching at one of the city uni's cant rember which one but he 'had to leave' after we all complained in the middle of the semester from teaching law foundations) and some terrible Arts ones but the majority were good.

The same thing happens at MQ and all uni's though because they are hired based on their research and not their ability to teach a class which means they might know their stuff but cannot get it across very well.

*Buttercup*

HSC
katie tully said:
The chick I know is doing Psychology.
Yeah, I do psych at uws too, and I know what lecturer she's probably thinking of - there is one in particular who is very hard to understand and pretty bad at teaching. I wouldnt say that "most" lecturers have trouble speaking english though. I've only had trouble with that one.

My main problem with UWS is the crappy admin. cos im a control freak and it bugs me when they dont know what they're doing...

natstar

HSC
N/A
Hey peoples, I have not been here for ages, but I thought I'd sign back in once again for the benefit of current and future UWS'ers to let them know how it is for a graduate of UWS.

As some of you know I did a Business degree, majoring in marketing. I graduated with a credit average. I did 2 internships as part of the UWS Coop program, one being at small sized PR company, and the other at a Sydney council working in economic development.
I now have an excellent job as a marketing assistant/coordinator in entertainment and hospiatlity marketing at a club. I dont live in Sydney and I live on the mid north coast and receive a 45k salary package, which is excellent money for where the job is located.
I am one step down from Marketing Manager, and my duties include coordinating and designing all of the marketing communications (posters, banners, LED screen advertising, in house Television advertising, (lots of graphic design involved which is good), promoting and running events (bands, acts, shows etc), coordinating and designing internal communications to staff, managing a strategically important membership data base, collecting data ect.
Its a fucking awesome job and I love it....its everything i hoped it would be.

Anyway, the point of this is just to show that UWS grads do get good jobs, despite what people say. It may not be a top tier major international company, but its awesome money, excellent conditions, great employers, and what I enjoy doing, which is what a job should be.

skyline

Proud Aurion TRD owner
HSC
N/A
natstar said:
Hey peoples, I have not been here for ages, but I thought I'd sign back in once again for the benefit of current and future UWS'ers to let them know how it is for a graduate of UWS.

As some of you know I did a Business degree, majoring in marketing. I graduated with a credit average. I did 2 internships as part of the UWS Coop program, one being at small sized PR company, and the other at a Sydney council working in economic development.
I now have an excellent job as a marketing assistant/coordinator in entertainment and hospiatlity marketing at a club. I dont live in Sydney and I live on the mid north coast and receive a 45k salary package, which is excellent money for where the job is located.
I am one step down from Marketing Manager, and my duties include coordinating and designing all of the marketing communications (posters, banners, LED screen advertising, in house Television advertising, (lots of graphic design involved which is good), promoting and running events (bands, acts, shows etc), coordinating and designing internal communications to staff, managing a strategically important membership data base, collecting data ect.
Its a fucking awesome job and I love it....its everything i hoped it would be.

Anyway, the point of this is just to show that UWS grads do get good jobs, despite what people say. It may not be a top tier major international company, but its awesome money, excellent conditions, great employers, and what I enjoy doing, which is what a job should be.

exactly in conclusion uws is one of the best institutions in the world...no seriously it is, its in the top 4000 unis on the planet and from what i saw in the figures its ranked 1034 world rank, thats pretty good considering there is around 10-20,000 unis in the planet, not sure exactly, but yeah people keep that in mind, uws is only a new university, a baby to its fellow counterparts like usyd and unsw etc... but some day it will be juz as good as them, ill probably be dead by then, but to be in the top 4000, now thats impressive :haha:

redlebor

HSC
N/A
white ferret said:
by social life, do u mean clubs and societies? i cant seem to find any on their website... uni would just be dull if u dont get to join anything!
It's true, there aren't many clubs at UWS - so why not join an existing club or start your own one!!

The old 'student association' is kaput so their website doesn't have any helpful leads. I've tried to list the ones I can think of below - you might like to get in contact with them before uni starts up.

www.mycbm.org.au Christian student club on every campus - awesome!

www.jauws.org Japanese animation (based at Penrith)

www.uwslsa.com for law students (website under reconstruction)

www.uwshawkesbury.rugby.net.au for rugby union supporters (based at Hawkesbury)

There are also some Muslim clubs (I couldn't find a website) and the old student association had people involved in fighting for the environment, women's rights etc.

'Connect' looks after some sporting clubs - they also run plenty of one-off social events across the year. Welcome to the uwsconnect website

I hope that helps!

redlebor

HSC
N/A
white ferret said:
by social life, do u mean clubs and societies? i cant seem to find any on their website... uni would just be dull if u dont get to join anything!

It’s true, there aren’t many student clubs at UWS – so why not join an existing one or start your own!!

The old ‘student association’ is kaput so I’ve tried to list some of the clubs that I can think of below. You may want to get in contact before uni goes back:

www.mycbm.org.au an awesome Christian student club (on every campus)

www.uwslsa.com for law students (based at Parramatta)

There are also some Muslim clubs (couldn’t find a website) plus the old student association had people involved in fighting for the environment, women’s rights etc.

I hope that helps!

skyline

Proud Aurion TRD owner
HSC
N/A
redlebor said:
It's true, there aren't many clubs at UWS - so why not join an existing club or start your own one!!

The old 'student association' is kaput so their website doesn't have any helpful leads. I've tried to list the ones I can think of below - you might like to get in contact with them before uni starts up.

www.mycbm.org.au Christian student club on every campus - awesome!

www.uwslsa.com for law students (website under reconstruction)

There are also some Muslim clubs (I couldn't find a website) and the old student association had people involved in fighting for the environment, women's rights etc.

'Connect' looks after some sporting clubs - they also run plenty of one-off social events across the year. Welcome to the uwsconnect website

I hope that helps!

why do you care about clubs and all that bullshit anyway? Are you choosing a uni based on the number of clubs they have and not the course itself that will hold your future?

Hahahaha, people like you are so easily misunderstood by other idiots, i don't see any point in it, you go to uni so you can finish your studies, earn your degree, then piss off and work and earn a real salary and gain experience, uni is for work, not stupid club societies.

Besides after seeing the few clubs and other shit associated with uws they tend to bore me and really get on my nerves at times.

For example, they got some real pain in the ass activists over there formed by groups of students, so annoying that when your walking minding your own business, they jump out of nowhere and throw a pamphlet right at your face, and your like huh? wtf?

Sometimes i feel like rubbing it in their faces and yelling, i couldnt give a shit, or they pull you over and try to force you to answer some dumb questionare or quiz thing, so what i do now is when any of these fools spot me walking and they want to say something, i run like there is no tommorow hahaha, but ohh god they are annoying as hell, stupid uni actvists and student groups, dammm you all i say, dammm you!!!

the only thing i like is when they have the free BBQ's at orientation week, now thats something to think about before picking a uni hahaha:p

did i say free BBQ? hahaha, no but at times, it can taste shit, but yeah thats what you would expect from something being free...

ehh sorry for the rant, enjoy lol. :D

leon4u

HSC
skyline said:
why do you care about clubs and all that bullshit anyway? Are you choosing a uni based on the number of clubs they have and not the course itself that will hold your future?

Hahahaha, people like you are so easily misunderstood by other idiots, i don't see any point in it, you go to uni so you can finish your studies, earn your degree, then piss off and work and earn a real salary and gain experience, uni is for work, not stupid club societies.

Besides after seeing the few clubs and other shit associated with uws they tend to bore me and really get on my nerves at times.

For example, they got some real pain in the ass activists over there formed by groups of students, so annoying that when your walking minding your own business, they jump out of nowhere and throw a pamphlet right at your face, and your like huh? wtf?

Sometimes i feel like rubbing it in their faces and yelling, i couldnt give a shit, or they pull you over and try to force you to answer some dumb questionare or quiz thing, so what i do now is when any of these fools spot me walking and they want to say something, i run like there is no tommorow hahaha, but ohh god they are annoying as hell, stupid uni actvists and student groups, dammm you all i say, dammm you!!!

the only thing i like is when they have the free BBQ's at orientation week, now thats something to think about before picking a uni hahaha:p

did i say free BBQ? hahaha, no but at times, it can taste shit, but yeah thats what you would expect from something being free...

ehh sorry for the rant, enjoy lol. :D

about time someone on this site talks with common sense :spin:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)