UWS B.comm (adv leadership)/B. laws vs UNSW B.economics (1 Viewer)

theloorloor

HSC
N/A
University of western sydney (Bachelor of business and commerce (advance leadership)/ Bachelor of law)

vs

UNSW bachelor of economics

Well basically its Prestigious uni vs prestigious course

Im interested in HRM, finance, marketing, and "prestigious"

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Really!? ...

Sounds like what you want to get into is more suited to Commerce anyway, why not B. Comm at UNSW? Or Usyd? Seems like that's where people who value prestige over all else end up going.

is a roflcopter
HSC
whats advanced leadership? sounds fluff

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
whats advanced leadership? sounds fluff
As the UWS site says it's "exclusively for high achieving students", because of that you have to get 2 whole more ATAR for it! In all seriousness though, bonus marks don't count for it so the cut off is effectively a lot higher and it seems like you have to maintian a certain GPA to stay in it.

is a roflcopter
HSC
As the UWS site says it's "exclusively for high achieving students", because of that you have to get 2 whole more ATAR for it! In all seriousness though, bonus marks don't count for it so the cut off is effectively a lot higher and it seems like you have to maintian a certain GPA to stay in it.
i dunno man, sounds just a bit fluffy.
Sorry - if my friends were interviewing you at a big6 law firm (is it still big6? i dunno everyone is being taken over by chinese firms), i think they will laugh if you tried to sell the prestige angle from "University of western sydney (Bachelor of business and commerce (advance leadership)/ Bachelor of law)"

D94

HSC
N/A
A good portion of prestige comes from a lot of people knowing and recognising the course and its authority in the field. I doubt the UWS course is a "prestigious course" compared to well known "prestigious courses", say USyd LLB.

Anyway, I would choose UNSW BEc...then you could potentially transfer to a BCom and complete a major or two in those areas of your interest.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Sorry - if my friends were interviewing you at a big6 law firm (is it still big6? i dunno everyone is being taken over by chinese firms), i think they will laugh if you tried to sell the prestige angle from "University of western sydney (Bachelor of business and commerce (advance leadership)/ Bachelor of law)"
Haha i know i was kind of making fun of it, i'm not doing law and am barely doing business lol. It's better than just the normal degree at UWS i guess. Only reason ic an thinkg someone would pick that advance leadership course is if they just scraped the minimum requirement for it and have no luck with possible bonus points at Macq or UTS.

The only prestigious course at UWS is med.
And lets be honest, even then med at UNSW or Usyd would be considered by most people as being more prestigious than med at UWS lol.

runnable

HSC
Forget the UWS course. Go UNSW B Eco, do well then transfer to the degree you want. Simple and all angles covered.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Yep still big 6.

is a roflcopter
HSC
the only good example of where you could sell advanced leadership to an employer that i thought was legitimate was this guy who worked at deutsche bank who was a marine in iraq or something

thats some hectic sht

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
University of western sydney (Bachelor of business and commerce (advance leadership)/ Bachelor of law)

vs

UNSW bachelor of economics

Well basically its Prestigious uni vs prestigious course

Well if you want to be a lawyer, you obviously have to do the law degree, so out of those two, the UWS one is the option you have
If you want to do economics, well then choose the economics degree, in which case you choose the UNSW one

Are you choosing between two DIFFERENT fields based purely on a hypothetical notion people make up so they can flaunt their social penors rather than whether or not you actually want to do one more than the other?

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
I mean you can pull out the old and much debatable "prestige is an important factor in employment" card, but you know what is actually more important for employment as a lawyer?

having an actual LAW degree. Pretty much what I'm saying is if you want to be a lawyer it doesn't matter whether or not unsw commerce is "more prestigious" than uws comm/law, in the end you need the law degree.

The thing is when you enter competitive career paths you need a crapload of hunger to get to the top. You have to ask yourself, what's fuelling that hunger?

is a roflcopter
HSC
i think these guys are saying pick UNSW b.economics
transfer to B.commerce if you keen on HRM and the other sht
transfer to B.Eco/Law if you keen on law or just do the eco degree and then do postgrad law at UNSW. takes maybe a year longer right but whatever.

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
Yeah but I think OP needs to think harder about exactly what career path he wants. Also iirc transfers are hardly a guarantee, so it would take a MINIMUM of a year longer in which case that year could have been spent out in the workforce if you had just taken the other degree.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah but I think OP needs to think harder about exactly what career path he wants. Also iirc transfers are hardly a guarantee, so it would take a MINIMUM of a year longer in which case that year could have been spent out in the workforce if you had just taken the other degree.
For BEc, you would probably need Honours, to enter workforce. That's like an additional year.

is a roflcopter
HSC
thats like for the RBA
you can get other jobs without honours

eja2000

HSC
Hmm..If you're going for HRM (me too! :cool:) then advanced business leadership couldn't hurt as an undergrad course..Have you considered just following it up with a masters at a more "prestigious" uni after you finish your undergrad course?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)