UWS (engineering/construction management) (1 Viewer)

dibe4

HSC
hi i was just wondering if ppl at the penrith campus, doing engineering(civil) or construction management can comment on the course, how are you finding the course? is it diffculty? interesting?

im considering to do engineering or construction management at penrith campus?? whiuch would u recommend me to do?

thanks

pottsy44

HSC
dibe4 said:
hi i was just wondering if ppl at the penrith campus, doing engineering(civil) or construction management can comment on the course, how are you finding the course? is it diffculty? interesting?

im considering to do engineering or construction management at penrith campus?? whiuch would u recommend me to do?

thanks
hey i do construction management on the blacktown campus, as i am in the last cohort to be able to study there.

i only do the course part time though as i work full time. in 06 i worked as a quantity surveyor and in 2 weeks i start as a building surveyor for blacktown council.

i believe the UWS structure for CM is very good in comparision to other universities that have the same natured course (UTS and Newcastle).

if you apply yourself you will do well. but you will probably find yourself doing what i do and most other students do in the construction management degree, which is working full time in the industry as work experience is absolutely essential to the work we do. compared to other courses we have a very high number of students that study part time and work full time, this is reflected in the fact that half the units are night classes.

anybody that has a general interest in construction will enjoy the course i believe.

as i have only completed 4 units so far i am not fully in the position to commit on the type of work. but roughly 1/3 maybe more of the units are practical units. you also have to learn about the law (business, building, environment) and there is detailed units that go through different aspects of the construction phase.

darkwaters

HSC
are you saying ur a building surveyor for blacktown council and yet uve only finished ur 2nd year of ur course, very impressive, what sort of jobs come out from construction managements degrees and civil engineering degrees, are the jobs similar...?

pottsy44

HSC
darkwaters said:
are you saying ur a building surveyor for blacktown council and yet uve only finished ur 2nd year of ur course, very impressive, what sort of jobs come out from construction managements degrees and civil engineering degrees, are the jobs similar...?
im a trainee building surveyor sorry but it is possible to get a non trainee position while stile at uni.

jobs from a construction management degree could be, quantity surveyor, estimator, builder, site manager, construction manager, building surveyor, project manager. they would be the main bunch of occupations from the degree but there is many more.

civil engineers have many job prospects as well, it would be a broader group as opposed to the construction management degree but the CM degree still has alot of options.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)