• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

UWS Medicine academic requirements, non-school leaver. (1 Viewer)

grundo

HSC
Hi,

I'm just wondering exactly what the entry requirements are for Medicine at UWS, considering I completed the HSC last year (ATAR: 99.50). I am going to do the UMAT this year and am currently enrolled in B.Psych at USYD. I know that UNSW uses a 50:50 ratio of HSC:Uni marks, but is UWS the same? I have been told that they take whichever is better, but I haven't found much definite information on this online.

I'm just a little worried because whilst I'm sitting on about a D average for my subjects at uni, they won't be as high as my ATAR, so I would prefer to use that only.

I'm also a GWS applicant, so my marks can be a little lower than non GWS people.

Dream Meteor

HSC
Hey Grundo,

I am pretty sure that UWS weighs your interview performance most. What happens is they look at your academic performance first, and if that is above a cutoff (ATAR 95 for non greater Western applicants, dunno about WAM though), they dont take it into consideration anymore, only the interview score and UMAT score are used to calculate your ranking once you achieve the academic threshold. The weight of interview:UMAT is 2:1.

Hope this helps!

Moldy81

UWS Course Info
HSC
Hello,

When applying for Medicine at UWS there are three stages to the application process.

- First your academic qualifications, if you have an ATAR and a GPA (for students who have completed a degree or have completed a minimum of one year’s full time study in a degree course) we take whichever is your highest rank. This rank must reach a minimum threshold of either an ATAR of 93.55 for GWS applicants, or a GPA of 5.5 on the 7 point scale.
- Second, if your academic rank meets the threshold we then consider your UMAT results.
- Third, those applicants with the highest UMAT scores are invited to attend a multi-station interview. The final decisions are made based primarily on your performance at the interviews. They may also consider your UMAT results however this has a less emphasis.

For more info regarding UWS Medicine applications, visit the School of Medicine website: http://www.uws.edu.au/medicine/som/courses/applying_for_medicine/application_information

Hope this helps and good luck!

grundo

HSC
Okay so I can simply take my ATAR?
Lovely.

Thank you!

badquinton304

HSC
Does anyone know if the application form for last year had a field for both 2008 and 2009 umat scores because im not sure if it is like unsw where they consider both scores and choose the highest.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
nope. iirc all other unis take the most recent score. only UNSW takes the highest out of the 2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)