UWS Medicine UMAT Weighting Question (1 Viewer)

zocdae

HSC
So I've heard recently that UWS does not even regard section 3 in how they weight the UMAT, i.e. only section 1 and 2 are considered. Is this true? If not, is section 3 only weighted like half or what? Thanks for any help!

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
So I've heard recently that UWS does not even regard section 3 in how they weight the UMAT, i.e. only section 1 and 2 are considered. Is this true? If not, is section 3 only weighted like half or what? Thanks for any help!
They don't weigh section 3

zocdae

HSC
Oh wow is that confirmed anywhere or is it just word of mouth? If so, does that mean I should focus all my UMAT study on section 1 and 2?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Oh wow is that confirmed anywhere or is it just word of mouth? If so, does that mean I should focus all my UMAT study on section 1 and 2?
It's confirmed I think. Also no that's not a good idea because there's still other unis which do medicine that weigh all sections.

A1P

HSC
Does WSU mean you need at least 64 percentile in s1 and s2?
You need 64/100 each, or 60+68 or 70+58 etc

Within each section 60/100 is around 90%ile, 64 around 95%ile, 70 100%ile.

Last edited:

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Can you do the UMAT in by different sections? For ex, section 2 first?
Yes you have to flick through and find all s2 questions and then go back then do s1 sections then s3 and so on if you want to do it in sections.

zocdae

HSC
When it says that s3 is used as a tie breaker does that mean it's used for people who get right on the cutoff (128)? Does this also mean that an applicant in 2016 who got 129 was guarenteed a spot? Thanks for the help!

A1P

HSC
Does this also mean that an applicant in 2016 who got 129 was guarenteed a spot?
That was the cutoff to get into the interview round. The interview is not a pass/fail test, its score contributes to one's final ranking. For WSU interview counts more heavily than Umat (but they don't say exactly how much). Unsw Monash count Atar Umat Interview 33/33/33, Adelaide UWA Curtin 40/20/40, JMP 0/0/100 etc. These weightings are shown in the table on MSO.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
That was the cutoff to get into the interview round. The interview is not a pass/fail test, its score contributes to one's final ranking. For WSU interview counts more heavily than Umat (but they don't say exactly how much). Unsw Monash count Atar Umat Interview 33/33/33, Adelaide UWA Curtin 40/20/40, JMP 0/0/100 etc. These weightings are shown in the table on MSO.
lots of random info in this thread

Wsu offers are given based on interview
GPA/ATAR is a hurdle
UMAT is a hurdle
Interview is the basis of the offer

I've never heard of a tiebreak being needed tbh.

A1P

HSC
I've never heard of a tiebreak being needed tbh.
Last year two guys were on S1+S2=128, the one with higher S3 got an interview the other didn't. WSU may not say anything about tiebreak specifically but in the end it worked out that way.

As for UMAT a hurdle and Interview is all the basis of offers, WSU website currently shows
"Applicants who meet both academic and UMAT thresholds are subsequently invited to interview. Final rankings for offers for the MBBS will be based on interview performance, plus UMAT scores (with a greater emphasis being on the interviews)."

So please check with facts first before calling out random info.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Last year two guys were on S1+S2=128, the one with higher S3 got an interview the other didn't. WSU may not say anything about tiebreak specifically but in the end it worked out that way.

As for UMAT a hurdle and Interview is all the basis of offers, WSU website currently shows
"Applicants who meet both academic and UMAT thresholds are subsequently invited to interview. Final rankings for offers for the MBBS will be based on interview performance, plus UMAT scores (with a greater emphasis being on the interviews)."

So please check with facts first before calling out random info.
hi.
"with a greater emphasis being on the interviews" means that UMAT is tiebreaking

as i said, they don't let students on the admissions board to review who enters,
but all of this info is told to us at committee meetings
so it is 100% interviews
Hence
"academic and UMAT thresholds"

you can believe what you want though
i'm just telling you the truth of the situation as someone who is graduating from that program this year. lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)