UWS Medicine? (1 Viewer)

HMF

Señor CAFS Dude
HSC
Parentals are worried, when I said I was wanting to see what UWS Medical Program is like. Is The course decent, I know it's relatively new and facilities are new. But parents are more so worried about the preconceived idea that Western Sydney is "Rough and Dangerous", can anyone shed some light on this, I just want to keep my options open :D. Thanks.

P.S I'm pretty keen to do it, please don't think I'm racist or anything. :)

kickass91

HSC
sorry,
but if ur looking to do med
even at uws, where it is 'rough and dangerous"
u might wanna consider picking up some chemistry physics and Mathematics

TrueHappiness

HSC
Med is a quite prestigious course. Ill be happy to get into ANY courses, but thats even a long shot. I actually think UWS Med is quite brilliant, being a new facility and all. Plus I believe that it is 1 years shorter then UNSW Med (up for correction).

Also Kickass is wrong, Chemistry, Physics + Math are not requisites. However it is recommended that at UWS, Chemistry should be done at High school. I think its at UNSW that Chemistry is a pre-req.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Med is a quite prestigious course. Ill be happy to get into ANY courses, but thats even a long shot. I actually think UWS Med is quite brilliant, being a new facility and all. Plus I believe that it is 1 years shorter then UNSW Med (up for correction).

Also Kickass is wrong, Chemistry, Physics + Math are not requisites. However it is recommended that at UWS, Chemistry should be done at High school. I think its at UNSW that Chemistry is a pre-req.
no

kickass91

HSC
i know, just like UNSW ses ur minimum UAI requirement is 95 but u'd need a perfect UMAT score and sweet talk the interviewer.

arent chemistry + maths recommended studies?

lychnobity

HSC
Parentals are worried, when I said I was wanting to see what UWS Medical Program is like. Is The course decent, I know it's relatively new and facilities are new. But parents are more so worried about the preconceived idea that Western Sydney is "Rough and Dangerous", can anyone shed some light on this, I just want to keep my options open :D. Thanks.

P.S I'm pretty keen to do it, please don't think I'm racist or anything. :)
I went to UWS day alright. And there was this workshop called "Day in the life of a med student" - sure, they have fun, but they don't seem "rough and dangerous". All med students are at Campbelltown, in their own separate, brand spanking new, modern, fully furnished medical building. The building itself is rather impressive. Lots of glass.

From what I hear, there are the rowdy stupid useless society pests lying about (in other courses around campus), but they get filtered out during about 3rd year. And by that, I mean the rude, socially inappropriate, disrespectful type that don't recognise a widely renowned law professor giving them a speech at the Law Ball. The sort that stick their middle fingers up at him, and storm out of the hall. During his speech. And don't realise it's embarassing. That's the sort of riff raff that's going to be there.

Apparently, they constitute no more than 99% of the people there.

Last edited:

ajay098

HSC
The wogs and lebs are chasin' u now brah.
lol

UWS med is good for it's latest facilities and PBL (problem base learning) course structure however, the disadvantage is that the career opportunities for its med grads is unknown as it's a new course. This is where UNSW med gets the advantage becos they have been around for years so it has a set reputation.

btw only eng is required and chem is recommended for most med courses but not mandatory.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
reputation means nothing to a decaying health care system... they'll take doctors from the slums of India if the board believes them to be competent enough.

uws students will be fine.. their prospects are huge

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Theres alot of pro's and cons to going to UWS, but nothing serious or too concerning.

I presume ur parents are from a different culture, i can tell you now that no med students have come under any attacks, racism, etc so far. The med building is a short walk from the station and a large shopping centre which is frequented by maori/islander, uni students and those of many multicultral backgrounds so you have nothing to fear.

Also I'm sure you'll be able to find people to carpool or train with if your/parents are that concerned about safety, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)