UWS or UTS Insearch? (1 Viewer)

muffintoast

HSC
Uni Grad
I didn't get a high enough atar but got accepted into both Bachelor of Engineering at UWS or Diploma of Engineering at UTS Insearch. I want to get into Bachelor of Software Engineering at UNSW but i'm not sure on which pathway to take. I can do one year at UWS and transfer into UNSW or also do the diploma at UTS Insearch and transfer after a year to UNSW. Anyone have any experiences with transferring from UWS or UTS Insearch? Thank you!

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Go down the path of uws as for UTS in search, you need to get well enough + fork out 20,000 dollars. UTS in search is a rip off and a waste of money.

muffintoast

HSC
Uni Grad
Go down the path of uws as for UTS in search, you need to get well enough + fork out 20,000 dollars. UTS in search is a rip off and a waste of money.
I just found out UWS does not offer software as a major, only civil, construction, electrical, mechanical and robotics and mechatronics. I'm not interested in any of these majors and I'm afraid if I don't do well enough the first year, I'll be stuck doing a major I don't like whereas with UTS Insearch, if I maintain at least 60%, I get guaranteed entry into the second year of Bachelor of Software Engineering at UTS and If I do even better than just a 60%, I may have a chance at UNSW a year after. Also, UTS Insearch is all under fee's help. :S

Any one know how hard 1st year Engineering can be at UWS? And what are the chances I will be able to transfer after a year to UNSW or in fact any uni that DOES offer software as a major?

http://www.unsw.edu.au/future-studen...ergraduate/upp
I have to be 20 or over for this pathway, i'm 18...

Last edited:
HSC
I just found out UWS does not offer software as a major, only civil, construction, electrical, mechanical and robotics and mechatronics. I'm not interested in any of these majors and I'm afraid if I don't do well enough the first year, I'll be stuck doing a major I don't like whereas with UTS Insearch, if I maintain at least 60%, I get guaranteed entry into the second year of Bachelor of Software Engineering at UTS and If I do even better than just a 60%, I may have a chance at UNSW a year after. Also, UTS Insearch is all under fee's help. :S

Any one know how hard 1st year Engineering can be at UWS? And what are the chances I will be able to transfer after a year to UNSW or in fact any uni that DOES offer software as a major?

I have to be 20 or over for this pathway, i'm 18...
As for UWS Engineering you do not need to even think about your major that much because all 1st year engineering units are the same if I just looked correctly.. Judging from the posts on this forum and others about UWS Engineering, I'd say all you need to do is put in some effort to get some decent results.

If you really want to be paying the amount of UTS Insearch, then go for it...

Last edited:

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
Isn't there core subjects at UWS that you can do? If so, you can count those credit subjects into your transferring year at UTS engineering.

Say if you don't reach over 60% at UTS Insearch, what will happen then? You don't want to have to repeat that risk and pay double the HECS if you don't reach that. Insearch is not even owned by UTS in anyway and is 100% independent from each other, they just have the rights to use the UTS name and have slight connections to each other (aka. library access, student general services etc.), thus explains why Insearch costs a fortune since its made for International Students, not domestic. Don't listen to their cheesy marketing schemes & strategies and/or student "alumni" reviews, they're just there for your $$$$$$.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
If so, you can count those credit subjects into your transferring year at UTS engineering.
Not neccesarily, and definitely not at UNSW (who are pretty harsh with transfers from a non Go8).

I knew a guy who had transferred to UTS eng from UWS (mechanical) and had to do an electrical core subject at both, he wasn't credited for the UWS one. He actually came pretty close to failing it too.

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
Not neccesarily, and definitely not at UNSW (who are pretty harsh with transfers from a non Go8).

I knew a guy who had transferred to UTS eng from UWS (mechanical) and had to do an electrical core subject at both, he wasn't credited for the UWS one. He actually came pretty close to failing it too.
I've thought they will count some, I'm not sure then. Guess it's very specific for all unis. I can't even credit transfer Economics for Business here at new south.

Still, I would spend one extra year in engineering than to spend 2x or 3x the HECS than going to Inserach.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Yeah, UWS then transfer is economically the better option for sure. I'm just saying some things won't be credited. If you wanted to transfer into ICT engineering at UTS from UWS you'd have to either do a different stream of engineering at UWS or the ICT course at UWS which is closer to a Bsc IT at UTS (i.e. you won't have any engineering core at UWS, and therefore wont get it credited)

muffintoast

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't like the ICT course at UWS. It's really different to software engineering. :( If only UWS provided software, I would definitely choose UWS over UTS Insearch then. It would also be great if I could get my subjects could get credited. But then again, UTS is reallyyy costly..I just gotta think about it for a while, I have until this Friday to choose cause that's when I have to give my TFN to UTS Insearch. Thanks everyone for the replies! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)