• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

UWS Reputation (1 Viewer)

Jonathan A

HSC
Cape said:
I think that they are in debt by about $14 million or something, this is why theres changes to many of the courses and subjects to reduce costs.
I don't think that uws didn't want to rise hecs cause it would put university out of the question for many people who attend uws.

UWS is still the cheaper alternative to many universities.

Jonathan A

HSC
Rayanaldo said:
8 of my 9 preferences are for UWS. All my prefered courses are Business related.
I hear a lot of talk that UWS is shit, but if end up going there, do well, like the course im doing and like the environment i am in, then whats the point of going to UTS, UNSW or USYD?

PS - Do any of you people know what the Business faculty is like at UWS? My career adviser said it is pretty good.

Trust me, I work across the road from USyd, and half the students I deal with can't even operate a photocopier. Not to bag the students, but the uni doesn't make the student, its the student who needs the commitment.

UWS Business faculty or the College of Law and Business is a very good and organised faculty with a good reputation. My dealings with them have been quite pleasing. They are prompt and provide the relevant assistance needed.

Rayanaldo

HSC
N/A
Ok thanks people.

I have heard some say that it is a good uni, but i hate it when some people think that UTS, USYD and UNSW are the only unis you should aim for.

I also hate those who think they're so good just because they go to UTS, USYD or UNSW.

Jonathan A

HSC
Cape said:
Theres gonna be 2 new campuses opened up???

Apparently so. The rumour I heard was (and I don't want to misrepresent the University, this is only what I have heard off the record), is that Liverpool is the Med School and the other (in Randwick or that area) is for the College of Law and Business. There was also something about a name-change.

Jonathan A

HSC
Rayanaldo said:
Ok thanks people.

I have heard some say that it is a good uni, but i hate it when some people think that UTS, USYD and UNSW are the only unis you should aim for.

I also hate those who think they're so good just because they go to UTS, USYD or UNSW.

LOL, I know exactly what you mean. If you go to those unis and you start a degree, heaven help you if mid-degree you want to change. USyd for example has a once and for all policy that stuff up many students. At UWS, we have an Internal Transfer Scheme allowing any student with above credit average to transfer into any degree and recieve the appropriate credit.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I know someone who was doing a b of arts (tourism) who had transfered like 5 times cause he couldn't decide what he wanted to do ... lol ... now i feel sorry for him cause its costing him so much money.

Jonathan A

HSC
Cape said:
I know someone who was doing a b of arts (tourism) who had transfered like 5 times cause he couldn't decide what he wanted to do ... lol ... now i feel sorry for him cause its costing him so much money.

lol, imagine his transcript in the end though? Wont cost you as much as finishing the whole degree and doing another, or like many students do, drop out.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
you don't go to university to guarantee you a high paying successful job. You go to university for further education in a specific area of your interests.

klh

HSC
i know a dude who did a usyd degree and couldnt get work so he works at a bakery. it deosnt depend on the school but the person. if your good then it can guarantee work.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
michelleanne said:
Hi!

I can understand that you are hesitant about coming to UWS because of all the bad reputation nonsense. Please don's listen to this, it is a fantastic university with a great teaching staff.

I have just completed (in the last few weeks) a bachelor of health science and a bachelor of laws degree at the Parramatta campus. I have found my experince of the university fantastic, and I recommend the university.

Of course, a few students experience administration problems. But you can't tell me which other uni doesn't have admin issues. They all do!!

Apart from that, Studying Law at UWS is great. From your post, it looks as though that you may be considering law. There are a great number of electives that you can choose from that are taught by expereinced lecturers.

Also, the teaching style at UWS (within the law faculty) is a more conducive learning style for many students. Most subjects are Seminar based and not lecture and Tutorial based. This means that is more like a workshop with about 20-30 people and there is more time spent on discussion and group work. Also, there is more of a chance to stop the lecturer and ask questions and debate certain facts. This is extremely important in law.

The facilities at UWS are great. The library resources are current and you can always request the books that you need from other UWS libraries to your home camps. Journal databases are all current, and you have access to basically all of the jounral eithier on-line or in print form. This is the same with law. All law resources for law, case law( Australian and international) , statutues, journals, books, on-line dataabases are all current and quite extensive. Resources are also archived.

There are also, a number of moot courts at both Parramatta and Campbelltown that are all equiped with the modern conveniences. The teaching staff are always there for guidance and help, all you need is ask.

The Law course at UWS is of a very high standard and it a renowned law course accross the board. The law faculty promotes mooting competitions against other univeristies, and UWS does very well and ha infact won many of them.

Other courses from what I hear, are also excellent- and a course at UWS is exactly like studying at another university. The content, and the actual degree you would graduate with is exactly the same.

I have also found from Health Science an excellent excellent course!!

At UWS, you also have the option to choose the times of your classes. This helps arranging class times around your own needs, especially if your going to be working.

So please keep UWS in mind, I cant praise it enough. If you have any questions, please just ask.

Just remember, UWS is still a young uni compared to sydney that is over 100 years old. Therefore, UWS is still building on its reputation and from all reports, UWS had a high graduate employment rate and well respected courses.

Hope this helps,

Michelle....
This post absolutely rocks! :)

Among other things, it's the student who lands the job not the university.

Jonathan A

HSC
bearpooh said:
You also end up unemployed after doing Criminology.
My dad's secretary has a sister who did Crim at UWS.

She is waitressing at the local pub.
She has decided to retrain and become a teacher.

My father did the old Criminal Justice degree (Criminology equivalent) and is a sergeant in the NSW Police, 24 years service and is in charge of a highway patrol unit in the Inner West. Another workmate of mine who also did crim is currently employed with the Department of Corrective Services, and is working with prisoners on parole, her boyfriend also did criminology and is now doing Master of Psychology to further improve his skill and this being gov funded.

Jobs include:
-Academic roles;
-Police;
-ASIO;
-ASIS;
-ONA;
-Customs
etc...

What one person has done, or hasn't done, does not represent all graduates.

Jonathan A

HSC
flyin' said:
This post absolutely rocks! :)

Among other things, it's the student who lands the job not the university.

Michelle certainly knows what she is talking about and I should thank her for sharing her experiences with us.

And thank to all for the defending our criminology degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)