Validity and reliability of secondary sources (1 Viewer)

Munkiie

HSC
I'm having trouble answering these questions... Please help

a) identify data sources and evaluate the validity of the secondary info in relation to your chosen non-infectious disease

b) assess the reliability of your secondary info and the data that you have obtained in the relation to your chosen non-infectious disease

The disease I've chosen is Down syndrome

Thanks in advance!

Smile12345

HSC
Do you understand the words 'validity' and 'reliability'... This could help...

yasminee96

HSC
I won't give you any answers because i didn't do down-syndrome, but i'll tell you how i've learnt to evaluate validity and reliability of secondary resources.
Basically, for reliability, ask yourself "how consistent is the information with information from other sources such as textbooks, teachers etc.?" Of course, if it is at most consistency, it's reliable. If your source is a textbook, look at the publish date, and check to see if it's recent, and it's the most up to date edition of the textbook. Generally text books are checked before being released multiple times :) If it's a website, .gov or .edu are usually reliable, however .com and .org etc. aren't usually, considering they usually have biased opinions

In terms of validity, ask yourself "how did i gather this info? Does the info i've obtained from this resource answer the aims and/or relate to my hypothesis?" It is, simply put, the relevance of the data to the investigation :)

Munkiie

HSC
Ohhh that just makes it so much easier to answer these questions.
Thanks a lot! However I don't know if that would be enough to gain 4marks for a, and 3marks for b

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)