Values and attitudes? (1 Viewer)

lordesf

HSC
Hey all. howdonering if anyone could ofer me a hand, by defining what values and attitudes are? i dont even understand what they mean...

in my inner journey assesment i need to " identify and discuss values and attitudes in text" - what does this mean?

FLYHAWK14

HSC
N/A
Yeah, I have the same problem too, except it isn't for AOS. For Hamlet/R&G, what we have to do for Module A later is that we have to, I guess a Drama task(I have no idea why our teachers would set such a thing!) where we have to assume the role of Rosencrantz and talk about attitudes and values. It would be really nice of someone could help both of us, meaning the other guy who started the thread.

kuroneko

HSC
I'll give it a shot:
Values and attitudes refer to the characters' outlooks and opinions, what they hold high in society...
Eg's. values- 'I value equality'
attitudes- ignorance or acceptance toward minorities

But anyway, you know you can just ask your teachers...!

lordesf

HSC
hmm wierd stil not quite getting it but yeh have a little pic now , thx

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
Don't quote me on this, but I would say that:

Value: what society/and individual sees as important in life/the world around them, especially morals and ideals. It could be something intangible like honour and truthfuless or material like wealth and technology.

Attitude: the way that society/the individual behaves due to the values they hold. Society/the individual can be hostile/hospitable/indifferent to other individuals or "minorities" (to quote kuroneko) based on whether the others have the same values.

The attitude comes from the values that society/the individual holds.

For example: The text clearly depicts that honour is a characteristic valued by society. Society believes that everybody should be honourable (the value) and therefore, is hostile towards any individual that isn't (the attitude).

lordesf

HSC
wow thx alot! brilliantly explained! *claps*

im starting to get it now

Rythmic

HSC
Don't forget Context, very important to discuss along with both values and reception.

lordesf

HSC
i am often confused when peopple say "context" always not sure what really it means..

my eng isnt tht god can anyone like write an example setence talking about context?

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
Context is the "setting" in which society has its certain values and attitudes. It is the combination of all the factors which influence the values/attitudes of society/the individual. Thus, context encompasses the time period, culture, location, major events (especially political), etc., etc. of the text.

Eg: One of the beliefs society has about women in the 18th century England (the context) is that women are not as good as men (the value). Therefore, their treatment of women is inferior to their treatment of men (the attitude).

However, in the 21st century (the context), society believes that men and women are equal (the value) and treat thems as such (the attitude).

Context also varies depending on the culture. An African person will have different values and attitudes to an American because of their culture/the way they were raised.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)