Values (in Genre) (2 Viewers)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Many people have asked about values, and how they fit into a genre course.

As I did Crime Fiction I wil be using examples from the core texts from that genre, but the ideas apply to all genre texts.

A Value is something in a text which displays an idea held by either the author, or the society of the text, or the society of the author. In "Snow Falling on Cedars" a value that the islanders hold is that of Racism (although it is usually below the surface).

To disscuss values in an essay it is best to look at what the author is trying to say by including refernces to these values. In "The Big Sleep" the values of violence in society are higlighted to stimulate the audience to question the violence of their own society.

Feel free to add your own ideas/comments.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I'll add some more, using I&S examples. My English teacher had a mantra which stated that themes imply the values of a text. For example, one of the themes in Pride and Prejudice is marriage. Through the text, Langton implies the value that marriage for convenience or mercenary gain does not constitute happiness.

It is also important to discuss how composers project their values through the text e.g. Robert Browning's poetry criticizes conservative Victorian ideology, such as autocratic power based on wealth and status, by creating sympathy in the responder for the personas of his dramatic monologues by highlighting how these personas are moral victims of capricious systems of control. He evokes this sympathy through the use of language... (go on to give some examples).

As McLake said, values can be those projected by the author, or those held by characters in context. For example, in P&P, Lady Catherine's values are those of aristocratic pretension and conformity to the Regency social hierarchy. However, through his text Simon Langton attacks these values by various methods (such as caricature, visual techniques shooting Lizzy eye to eye with Lady Catherine to show they are equals and to undermine Lady Catherine's power).

I hope this helps!!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by McLake
A Value is something in a text which displays an idea held by either the author, or the society of the text, or the society of the author. In "Snow Falling on Cedars" a value that the islanders hold is that of Racism (although it is usually below the surface).
or you can twist that to an attitude. they have bad attitudes towards different cultures

also, what has been done with the text, to make it 'valued' by its audience. often to do this the text shows particular values and attitudes. for example, snow falling on cedars shows racism is not valued (is that NOT what you were saying mclacke? i'll just put my thoughts here....)i think it's saying racism is not valued, because it is because of the racism that the court case comes about, that kabuo is almost sent to gaol, that his life is almost ruined.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by iambored
for example, snow falling on cedars shows racism is not valued (is that NOT what you were saying mclacke? i'll just put my thoughts here....)i think it's saying racism is not valued, because it is because of the racism that the court case comes about, that kabuo is almost sent to gaol, that his life is almost ruined.
I'll clarify what I meant.

The township in the text values Raciscm (ie: the township is racisit), but the author is using this to show that Racism should not be valued in his own society, or the readers socitey.

sammeh

mmm i always assumed values as being ideals of the author being expressed through the text, not the values of the characters in the text itself. i think that one must be very careful in looking at values vs themes - to me values implies a greater depth of "message" ie a more definite opinion. i dont know, that doesnt sound very clear.

i always think of values as part of the terrible twins "context and values" as one is as often as not a reflection of the other and they're almost always relevant to one another and also your understanding of the connection between the two is almost always assessed in exam questions. its easier, i think to consider them together as often one will give you a starting point for your approach to the other.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
sammeh said:
mmm i always assumed values as being ideals of the author being expressed through the text, not the values of the characters in the text itself. i think that one must be very careful in looking at values vs themes - to me values implies a greater depth of "message" ie a more definite opinion. i dont know, that doesnt sound very clear.
But the author may use the characters in the story to project his/her values, giving them his/her values. This point must not be overlooked ...

sammeh said:
i always think of values as part of the terrible twins "context and values" as one is as often as not a reflection of the other and they're almost always relevant to one another and also your understanding of the connection between the two is almost always assessed in exam questions. its easier, i think to consider them together as often one will give you a starting point for your approach to the other.
But make sure you do seperate them, they are after all, quite distinct.

littlelyce

HSC
weve always been told that a value can only ever be positive. You can never have a negative value, so Im not exactly following your example. I would have classified that as a theme rether than a value

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
To me:

Value - is something that people think are important and follow it (or in other words VALUE it).

Theme- is like the moral of a fable. "Don't open doors to strangers"

But sometimes a Value can be a Theme and vice versa.

Like in Mystic River or in most Revenge Tragedies. There's the theme "Never take the law into your own hands"

But in today's context it's also a VALUE.

So i guess Values and Themes are different but can be the same. If that makes sense.

NellyBelly89

HSC
Can anyone help me with Values in Revenge Tradegies (with eg from set texts)? I was lead to believe they was usually positive however i am struggling to grasp them without taking a handful of themes with me.

blooddrop

HSC
I got told by my English Extension teacher to never use the word themes in any of my speeches or essays in extension. Can anyone tell me why?

loveforever

HSC
I need some help!!! We have our first assessment task (listening and viewing) on Wednesday. One of the four points we will be assessed on our ability to do is: distinguish and evalute the values expressed through texts.
What exactly are the values shown in The Big Sleep? I really have no idea and don't think we've ever talked about values in class.
Any comments are appreciated!

j a c k i e

HSC
i think the values primarily seen in 'the big sleep' are loyalty, hope and romance.
eg.
-marlowe's unwavering loyalty to harry jones,
-the romance between marlowe and vivian,
-the witty sexy dialogue between these characters in a sense created optimism and hope for the audience as the two characters are eventually rewarded with each other.

i believe that values are partially to do with the composers own thoughts and feelings, but also a lot to do with the context the text was created in and for.
hope this helps!

-pari-

HSC
N/A
we study values relating to: social hierarchy, law/justice, gender roles.

ie what does the text portray about each and what does this reflect about the values held in society?

i'm having problems however, integrating this whole thing with conventions + the values portrayed + the way texts are valued + techniques.

:( confusion. any help?

Arsenic

Rogue Assassin
HSC
Values are what is UPHELD. For speculative fiction, the author's values can be incorporated into the text, or left out completely, and then, therefore, the society within the text would have different values. For instance, in "The Handmaiden's Tale" those without freedom, such as Offred, VALUE freedom because they remember it from 'the time before'. Atwood, the author, values freedom in society by portraying a dystopian world with the consequences of what will happen if our society continues as it is [which makes it, effectively, a warning]. It's the same with Huxley's satire of individuality in "Brave New World."

Sangfroid

HSC
-pari- said:
we study values relating to: social hierarchy, law/justice, gender roles.

ie what does the text portray about each and what does this reflect about the values held in society?

i'm having problems however, integrating this whole thing with conventions + the values portrayed + the way texts are valued + techniques.

:( confusion. any help?
Well, the values that the text portray would be what you've outlined earlier in your post, what they portray about society, whether it's a reflected value or a promoted value.

The value of the text, however, I believe is the 'value' of the text in what it brings to the mix - what contribution it has to the genre of which it is a part of.
Does it challenge conventions, play with them and turn them around? Does it do something very very different that causes a new direction to be taken by other authors as well, forming a sub-genre of say, crime fiction? (e.g. the legal thriller as a result of combining conventions of both the thriller, strong legal elements and crime fiction).
The value of the text is basically what causes the text to be valued above others, what unique quality does it possess that enables it to be considered to be more significant.

Hope it helps. :/

celestial-nymph

HSC
our teacher has taught us that values are always positive ideals upheld by the text.

in Revenge Tragedy, for example, some central values are:
honour
justice
integrity
duty

you then explain what this reflects about the context, and relevance to contemporary responders

annacogs

HSC
celestial-nymph said:
our teacher has taught us that values are always positive ideals upheld by the text.

in Revenge Tragedy, for example, some central values are:
honour
justice
integrity
duty

you then explain what this reflects about the context, and relevance to contemporary responders
loyalty and passion are other important values in RT think (medea)

Abbatha

HSC
annacogs said:
loyalty and passion are other important values in RT think (medea)
but is passion a value? I was told it was something positive, like the others, and is passion really positive? i think it is just there...
i thought Euripides was using Medea's passion to warn against letting the primal passions get the better of you.. which may or may not end in you killing your own children.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)