Veganism (1 Viewer)

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Why should a police officer even bother stopping a robbery ? It's not going to stop all crime?

You avoiding meat DOES do something. One less animal is killed.

Another thing is, more and more people are going vegan, and I'm sure this collective increase has done something indeed (coupled with the overall increased awareness of individuals to become health consious in general)
One less animal isn't killed. They're not like "oh no guys someone went vegan, spare this cow". They'll kill the same amount, and it's just more meat for the rest of the world.

Plus you're killing plants too which leads to less photosynthesis so in the end you're killing humans by reducing the quality of the air

Patterns3

HSC
One less animal isn't killed. They're not like "oh no guys someone went vegan, spare this cow". They'll kill the same amount, and it's just more meat for the rest of the world.

Plus you're killing plants too which leads to less photosynthesis so in the end you're killing humans by reducing the quality of the air
You are paying them money, which supports the animal agricultural industry

I can give a $100 donation to ISIL. Surely they won't kill an extra person because of it.
However the action is still immoral

Next point

1. Plants are not sentient. They do not feel pain

2. Let's suppose that plants are sentient and we are killing humans by eating more plants

This SUPPORTS veganism --} FAR less crops will be needed to be consumed (The majority of crops grown is to feed animals)

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
You are paying them money, which supports the animal agricultural industry

I can give a $100 donation to ISIL. Surely they won't kill an extra person because of it.
However the action is still immoral

Next point

1. Plants are not sentient. They do not feel pain

2. Let's suppose that plants are sentient and we are killing humans by eating more plants

This SUPPORTS veganism --} FAR less crops will be needed to be consumed (The majority of crops grown is to feed animals)
Why does the fact they don't show visible pain take away from the fact that God made plants as well as animals? Plants are still life

Patterns3

HSC
Why does the fact they don't show visible pain take away from the fact that God made plants as well as animals? Plants are still life
Plants cannot feel pain. They do not have a nervous system to send pain signals or a brain to perceive them.

BUT
Let's assume they DO feel pain
This supports veganism .
Far less plants are 'killed' though a vegan diet :)

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
This is exactly why I've at least considered being a vegan, because I don't like seeing animals suffer before death. But apparently this isn't really an argument to change someone's opinion about this matter, and I thought as well that by avoiding meat, what is that actually gonna do? They're not going to stop killing animals. So what's the point?
The point is that the blood is not on your hands

"What's the point" mentality essentially kills any movement/protest. There's always going to be people that don't give a shit. But I have slowly changed my mind about a lot of things. So it's possible for open minded people to change.

I beg to differ. You kill one plant but u plant another. Also, it's probably the paper/toilet paper/paper towel industry that is the biggest killer of trees.

Hopefully technology outdoes paper in the next few decades.

They don't have a nervous system

jackyjack96

HSC
I'm not a vegan. I think the movement is amazing! But a lot of people just get involved for the "personal health" and "diet" aspect as opposed to actually caring about animals.

I also wish people spent as much time wondering what underpaid persons human rights were violated making PLENTY of their other products clothing, technology etc...this really needs more time and attention in public sphere

Deadboxes

HSC
Veganism is a bit tricky, well I guess I think it is, on one hand, you're not contributing to the slaughter of animals directly but you are hurting animals one way or another indirectly. I don't know if its possible for everyone to go vegan, I mean, the lack of food distribution is the cause of most famine now a days. There's also a couple grey areas tbh, with things like Honey, and how fish don't feel pain.

Humans are also biologically omnivorus, and have evolved to eat plants and animals (by definition), but you could argue that there isn't a NEED for us to in our current society. I can sorta agree with that, but that's relative to the individual and where they are. There's also the argument that veganism would also remove many jobs which are neccessary for the survival of some people, like farming (farming cows and livestock, not plants), or working in a slaughterhouse.

It's also a bit odd as to how some humans would proudly advocate for veganism, but still consume and use products and services that exploit humans.

All in all, I don't know. I'm an omnivore, I eat both, before I advocate for veganism and stride for it, I should focus on advocating for the poor standards of life for most humans in the world.

But that's just my 2 cents.

sida1049

HSC
There's also the argument that veganism would also remove many jobs which are neccessary for the survival of some people, like farming (farming cows and livestock, not plants), or working in a slaughterhouse.

It's also a bit odd as to how some humans would proudly advocate for veganism, but still consume and use products and services that exploit humans.

All in all, I don't know. I'm an omnivore, I eat both, before I advocate for veganism and stride for it, I should focus on advocating for the poor standards of life for most humans in the world.

Well you gotta start somewhere. And if someone thinks veganism is the ethical thing to do, then they should do it, especially since not eating meat is much easier than solving entrenched poverty in contemporary societies as a whole. So the whole "yeah but what about this..." argument falls flat on veganism pretty quickly.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Veganism is a bit tricky, well I guess I think it is, on one hand, you're not contributing to the slaughter of animals directly but you are hurting animals one way or another indirectly. I don't know if its possible for everyone to go vegan, I mean, the lack of food distribution is the cause of most famine now a days. There's also a couple grey areas tbh, with things like Honey, and how fish don't feel pain.

Humans are also biologically omnivorus, and have evolved to eat plants and animals (by definition), but you could argue that there isn't a NEED for us to in our current society. I can sorta agree with that, but that's relative to the individual and where they are. There's also the argument that veganism would also remove many jobs which are neccessary for the survival of some people, like farming (farming cows and livestock, not plants), or working in a slaughterhouse.

With the jobs thing, you could say the industry could be pushed elsewhere, like farming lab grown meat. Obviously it's not commercially viable right now, but it's a future consideration.

Personally I would be more than happy to pay extra for lab grown meat if available.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
even if lab grown meat becomes available i would still probably eat "normal meat"

i don't understand why vegans get up ur ass for eating it.

like yea sure it is a healthier, etc but i guarantee some of them still eat chips/soft drinks etc

like i remember at unsw there was some protest that was like "give me a reason to eat meat"

and im like nigga u don't need a fucking reason, u have a choice weather u want to or not. kinda like religion everyone has their own beliefs but no one is more right or wrong than someone else. there was some muslim thing at unsw slamming people why they didn't believe in allah. i didn't hesitate to slam their beliefs either and offer to sell them magic beans if they believe in some random thing in the sky

wanted to throw a kebab in the malnutrition vegan cunts face

sida1049

HSC
even if lab grown meat becomes available i would still probably eat "normal meat"

like yea sure it is a healthier, etc but i guarantee some of them still eat chips/soft drinks etc

like i remember at unsw there was some protest that was like "give me a reason to eat meat"

and im like nigga u don't need a fucking reason, u have a choice weather u want to or not. kinda like religion everyone has their own beliefs but no one is more right or wrong than someone else. there was some muslim thing at unsw slamming people why they didn't believe in allah. i didn't hesitate to slam their beliefs either and offer to sell them magic beans if they believe in some random thing in the sky

Fair point. Although I think the whole "vegans are obnoxious" is an exaggerated meme against vegans though. I haven't met a vegan shaming me yet (and I go to USYD), meanwhile you see your friends on Facebook tagging vegans/vegetarians friends on those trashy passive-aggressive/pussy-footing memes fairly often (although thankfully it's died down). I don't doubt that there are asshole vegans out there, but they're rare enough that once you're out of uni, you'll probably never have to talk to one.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Fair point. Although I think the whole "vegans are obnoxious" is an exaggerated meme against vegans though. I haven't met a vegan shaming me yet (and I go to USYD), meanwhile you see your friends on Facebook tagging vegans/vegetarians friends on those trashy passive-aggressive/pussy-footing memes fairly often (although thankfully it's died down). I don't doubt that there are asshole vegans out there, but they're rare enough that once you're out of uni, you'll probably never have to talk to one.
yea that is true. after uni you're pretty much in your own circle with like minded people so unless if someone converts to vegan you probably won't come accross it unless in the workplace or something.

I do however think when someone converts it just makes the whole relationship much more harder. like for example, my sister did and continuously reminds my mum when she's cooking dinner that an animal died, and how you can get protein from veggies, and that there are meat alternatives etc. it's just annoying to hear it literally everyday especially when she is trying to help save animals but still uses things like plastic straws and nonreusable things.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

Ya as I said when it becomes viable aka u can afford it

Also r u okay

sida1049

HSC
yea that is true. after uni you're pretty much in your own circle with like minded people so unless if someone converts to vegan you probably won't come accross it unless in the workplace or something.

I do however think when someone converts it just makes the whole relationship much more harder. like for example, my sister did and continuously reminds my mum when she's cooking dinner that an animal died, and how you can get protein from veggies, and that there are meat alternatives etc. it's just annoying to hear it literally everyday especially when she is trying to help save animals but still uses things like plastic straws and nonreusable things.
yeah that sounds kind of awful

I hope grows out of her phase

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)