Vertical integration(business) (1 Viewer)

dr.nitin

HSC
Can someone please explain to me what vertical integration is in business studies??
ive tried to read definitions but still dont get it

pabzieee

HSC
its a simple concept really.

Horizontal : a business takesover/purchases another business within the same production level. e.g Woody Furnitures buying over Cheeky chairs ltd.
(same industry)
- both an intermediary/wholesalers

Vertical: if Woody furnitures decided to to purchase a timber yard (lumber yard). this would be known as vertical integration. because it is acquiring another business in a different stage in production.

any problems ask... =]

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Vertical integration is the process of joining together of businesses that are involved in different but related activities or processes which assist the business' original prime function.

E.g. a fruit store can purchase a truck company to assist in distribution.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Yeah, basically buying above or below you, in terms of how things are supplied. Hence, vertical.

nimssyk

Captn
HSC
Hey.. i just copied this outta my notes..i hope this helps

• Vertical Integration is the expansion of a business’s production in different but related areas

--> Eg. when a computer assembly company buys the silicon chip making factory

--> Vertical integration is the degree to which a firm owns its upstream suppliers and its downstream buyers.

--> typified by one firm engaged in different parts of production (e.g. growing raw materials, manufacturing, transporting, marketing, and/or retailing).

• Good example is the oil industry where Companies such as ExxonMobil, Royal Dutch Shell, and BP and national often adopt a vertically integrated structure.
--> active along the entire supply chain from locating crude oil deposits, drilling and extracting crude, transporting it around the world, refining it into petroleum products such as petrol/gasoline, to distributing the fuel to company-owned retail stations, for sale to consumers.

Eddykungfu

HSC
here is a pic I used in my notes of one of my case studies GE vertically/horizontally integrating.

hope that explains the concept.

xDell

HSC
-Backward vertical integration is when businesses 'make' their components for e.g. Footlocker produces its leather and cotton thru having their own cotton fields, leather factories.
-Forward vertical integration is when businesses use facilities to deliver their finished products to the public e.g. Footlocker store.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)