Very, very important. Read this right NOW!! (1 Viewer)

Dashin_Dan

A place where people and cars and cats live. Whats
HSC
Hi all,

I'm doing a short story on Noir crime fiction. Yes, very exciting. All the swearing, all the flirting, and all the....... crime.
Well, my main focus is the gender swapping of the femme fatale and the PI or detective.
So, we have;
1) A hard smoking, large drinking sexy woman detective that flirts with 17 year old pizza boy (Its already in my story). and,
2) A dumb, blonde and unaware man who is thrusted into the action coz his father is a head racketeer.

Any ideas? I know where i'm going, its just that i need things in my journal.
It'll be great. Thanks all,
Sticks OUT!!!

HSC
N/A
What, this is more important than the "Important - Please Read" thread? lol...

I'd do some research on genre, genre expectations etc.

You could write quite a bit about how genre expectations can really define the direction of a story - much like the Mills and Boon novels ("you are allowed ____ amount of space for love scenes, you must not do this more than _____ and the plot must be something like this _____ and end in either ____, _____ or ______").

Right off the top of my head I'd suggest writing something that either intends to shock or amuse - you *could* have a lot of people like myself who are amused by the mention of a dumb blone - wait for it! - guy, and then at the same time you *might* also get a whole bunch of crime fiction activists who bombard you with hate mail for "defiling their eyes" by breaking traditional crime fiction roles.

Write about what you plan to do with your story - in particular, WHY you are switching gender roles, HOW and what sort of reactions you wish to evoke. Write it as if you were explaining it to somebody. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)