vet science =D (1 Viewer)

oranGez

King Jeremy the WiCKED++
HSC
hi!!~

i got a late round offer into vet science (i am sooo thankful.. i swear God must be watching over me or something) and was just wondering.. how necessary is it to know 2U maths and physics??

ahhh im so happy..

thanks for your help =D

HSC
By my knowledge, you don't use maths at all, just some problem solving, and physics is irrelevant.

oranGez

King Jeremy the WiCKED++
HSC
are you surprised?? i totally wasnt expecting it.. it took me 15 secs of staring at the screen for me to register that it was vet science O_O;

oranGez

King Jeremy the WiCKED++
HSC
GoodSirLancelot said:
You bastards. I swear I'm going to make the transfer to vet next year.
you will dont worry ^^ that's what i was planning to do as well.. just volunteer in heaps of stuff and get good marks and you'll be fine.. if u want some ideas about where u can volunteer just email me and ill tell u where i'm volunteering =]

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Congrats guys! I got an offer in the late round and i was damn stoked :)

Maths and physics? I dont see where you will need them in first year. though for some reason chemistry used a bit of physics but you can get by without doing it. The only "maths" related thing i see so far is biometry in second year. Im sure if you have science background then you'll be fine :)

Good luck with first year!

HSC
oranGez said:
you will dont worry ^^ that's what i was planning to do as well.. just volunteer in heaps of stuff and get good marks and you'll be fine.. if u want some ideas about where u can volunteer just email me and ill tell u where i'm volunteering =]
Yeah, I was thinking of joining RSPCA, WIRES and getting heaps of work experience.

What course where you going to do if you didn't get the vet offer?

oranGez

King Jeremy the WiCKED++
HSC
i enrolled in bachelor of science but doing all advanced units.. its really hard to volunteer with rspca because they have sooo many volunteers already and the waiting list is so long.. u should go volunteer at a smaller place.. sydneydogshome.com.au needs volunteers, and theres heaps of programs at taronga zoo which are great (you get an awesome uniform as well hehe).. also im sure if u went down to a local vet clinic and asked to volunteer, they wouldnt mind, coz theres nothign wrong with free labour haha

..:''ooo

HSC
wow, Orangez thats same case as me
i enrolled for science advanced and was about to spend my time doing work experience at vet clinics and zoos this month

i just checked my offer without any hope last night, and the offer was there :)
im now wondering if i got offered for fee paying....

oranGez

King Jeremy the WiCKED++
HSC
haha i was wondering that too! i checked it like minimum 7 times to make sure it wasnt fee paying..i still cant believe it..im waiting for my mail to be delivered so that i will have concrete evidence in my hands haha.. but my mind will seriously be screwed if no letter ever arrives.. =| enrolment day is tomorrow.. such short notice

..:''ooo

HSC
i enrolled today, but dont think i did it properly
the lady at the 'great hall' didnt even check i paid fees and when i got home i had the university copy of the receipt (the one im suppose to pay)
but i already paid at main round

and when i wanted to withdraw from science degree the dude there told me the database crashed so he'll do it later, but who knows if he forgets to do it

fking hell i dont wanna go there again takes me 2 hrs to get there

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
hey guys, congrats and welcome to vet science! This degree will probably be the hardest thing you will have done in your life so far, but believe me, when you deliver your first animal, and are holding a squirming, wet, screeching baby animal in your hands, it is so worth it!

Just some tips... \in general, Dont buy textbooks until after lectures have started, and when you are looking for textbooks, be quick on the e-mail because lots of e-mails go around offerring 2nd hand textbooks for sale. Also look online for textbooks because in some cases it is cheaper to order them from overseas than to buy them at the medsoc bookshop. Most of the books are american or european anyway.

When you go to the medsoc bookshop, buy everything you need at once - the lines are long, especially early in semester. You will need
a vet dissection kit,
a bunch of scalpel blades ( the more you buy, the less you have to go back and buy more...)
gloves ( although dishwashing gloves are just as good, and you can wash and reuse them).
Subject handbooks (i think the first year ones are all green covered)
A stethoscope ( get a cheap one, really, it doesnt matter)

In terms of textbooks, the ones you need for 1st and 2nd year are..

Cunningham - Textbook of veterinary Physiology ( it has a red cover, Saunders)
Dyce, Sack and Wensing - Textbook of Veterinary Anatomy (Black cover, Saunders)
Dellman and Eurell - Textbook of Veterinary Histology (Purple cover, Lippincott, williams and wilkins)
Alberts et al - Essential Cell Biology (White cover, Garland).

I also recommend Evans - Millers Anatomy of the dog ( big red book, Saunders, costs about $300).

You might also need a chem text book, but i'm not sure which one.

If you are short on cash, dont get the cell biology one, but the others you will use for both 1st and 2nd year, so you may as well get them in 1st year to get full use out of them. They are all available in the library, so if you are really short on cash, you can use them there, but remember that there are ver few copies for over 100 students, so you might have a fight on your hands.

If you are really enthisiastic (or your parents are paying...), also get
Bacha and Bacha - Colour atlas of veterinary histology (Blue cover, Lippincott, williams and wilkins)
Budras et al - Anatomy of the dog, an illustrated text ( Greeny / grey cover, Schlutersche)

If you are buying 2nd hand books, the editions dont matter that much... anatomy doesnt really change over time.

If i think of anything else, i will post it, but i will be away until uni goes back (on a vet trip to africa! hurrah!) so if you have questions, ask kimmeh, she know everything!

Enjoy the rest of your hols, and good luck to all those trying to transfer into vet, it is possible! (i did it, as did a few of my friends).

>monkey<

HSC
thanks very much for ur advice mambomeng!!
enjoy ur holiday!.....by the way whats this vet trip to africa ur going on? i would LOVE to go to africa!

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Its a joint trip with the University of Pretoria (OMG meg! IM so jealous of you!!!!!!!!!) where you spend i think two weeks with them doing prep stuff for wildlife medicine like how to catch a giraffe safely. First preference goes to third years so i missed out :( But im sure there'll be enough space for me then :D You had to apply like early in the year but due to the popularity im sure it'll be offered every year

>monkey<

HSC
ohh wow, that sounds awesome, ill definately be interested in that considering im interested in wildlife medicine :D

Emma_Kate

HSC
Congrads all! I'm soo jealous! Well if all goes ok hopefully (fingers crossed!) I will be doing vet next yr at syd.

I'm kinda new here, so if im butting in sorry, but I was just wondering, if you want to share, what UAI you got to get a late offer? Like how close was it to the cut-off?
Hope you're all enjoying uni! whilst we are still stuck at school!

Thanks!

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
I dont think the cut off changes very much in the late round for vet since thered still be a high demand for it. So im going to assume that these guys got higher than the cut-off for the main round.

>monkey<

HSC
the cut off for the main round was 98.5 and for the late round was 98.3...so ne one who got an offer in the late round obviously got a uai between 98.3 and 98.5! but if u go in as a fee paying student (approx 30K a year) then u can get in with a uai of about 93.5!!
all the best in ur HSC emma!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)