vet science (1 Viewer)

izi

HSC
does anyone have a friend or knows someone doing vet science?

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
Anyone know anyone who desparately wanted to get into vet Science but missed out?

"Yes! Me!!!!and Ezmay"
ask again next year after we've tried to transfer

Ezmay

Hey if you decide to drop out, give me a yell, I'd happily take your place!

I don't sound desperate do I?

Hey Mammbomeg, check your private messages!

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
maybe in 2005?

well i'm in yr 12 this year, hoping to get into vet sci. for next year - except i'm going on gap, so i'll defer... i want to get into vetting in the country - ie. cattle/sheep/horses.. and lucky for me, apparently that's where all the demand and the $$ is!

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
i've sorta switched from interest in Medicine to interest in Vet Sci. Considering they both lead to medical professions, can someone tell me if there's any tricks to getting into Vet Sci? (like the UMAT exam for Medicine)

I was a bit shocked when I saw the UAI requirements were only 98.00 at usyd. I actually expected much higher requirements. Comment? Anyone?

Generator

HSC
N/A
98 is a high score, and it is representative of the course's popularity just as much as the desired canditure...
Plus there's everything else that has to be done to gain entry.

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
"Plus there's everything else that has to be done to gain entry."

Yes, well that's what I'm asking. What exactly must be done in addition to gain entry?!?

izi

HSC
If you "sorta switched interest" from Med to Vet Sci, then dont switch.
A lot of people that do Vet Sci do it coz they missed out on Med. And to tell you the truth, they are not that keen on the course and not doing that great either. I have wanted to be a vet since I can remember and I am loving the course. So, if you dont have a GENUINE interest in the welfare of animals and just want to do it for its "medical profession", I strongly advise you not to do it. You will regret it AND you will deprive someone else that wants to be
a vet a place in the course.

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
No, I do genuinely have an interest in vet sci. Moreso than Medicine. My parents are medical practisioners and they're pressuring me to do med. Of course I'm interested in any kind of medicine, but I'd rather help animals.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
How do you get into Vet Science? you get the mark. Thats it, thats all you can do. You cant get in through mature age, and getting in through transfer is really really hard. theres no extra tests or anything if you try and get in straight from the HSC, only if you are trying to transfer in. And belive me, I would so have worked for every spare minute I had in yr 12 if it could have saved me this year of bloody hard work doing a course I dont want to do. Last year, for transferring, they had over 300 applicants for 25 places - and its not easy to apply, you have to do a stat test, get a distinction average at uni (which is so so much harder than it sounds, especially when you have a full credit load in a science course) and show comittment to vet
(although that hardly counts in the selection process.)

so WORK YOUR ASS OFF!!!!!!!!!! ( or you'll be sorry)

izi

HSC
There are actually a few mature age students in the course. Another way to get in (if you are made of money) is to pay your way in! Only $25 000 (or something as ridiculous) a year!

kaseita

my sister is doing vet sci, and I've got a friend in first year this year.

yea, you just get the mark, and walk in. nothing to it - its not like med.

its a pretty cool course actually, but it aint me. I'm sure you'll have plenty of fun if you get in :)

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
Worried. Very worried

Ok, I would like to get into the Vet Science and am pretty damn sure there's a 100% chance I won't get 98 for my UAI...it just ain't gonna happen.

I was thinking of doing a double degree either one in my home town on education (secondary) and Arts (english, history ect)
OR one at UQ which was Animal Studies and Education (Secondary)....either one is 4 yrs....

Would I be able to get in easier to the Vet Sci with either degree as well as some work experience I have already done at school and for my Tafe, Animal Studies course?
Hope you understand

I'm really lost...

:confused:

kaseita

um....took me awhile to understand, but hehe yea I get ya

the thing is that your planning to get into vet sci as a postgrad, you pay full fees anyway.

but what you can do is do a course at uni/tafe that includes the subjects that you'll do in vet sci, so that when you go to vet sci, you can be exempted from doing some of the subjects there, so you may get through the course quicker, or easier.

but if you're really planning to get into vet sci, you can save time by just doing a 3yr degree, and then doing vet sci as a post grad. you don't really need the education part, unless you really want to be a teacher as well - or you don't plan to be a vet as a postgrad

hope that helps! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)