vet science! (1 Viewer)

>monkey<

HSC
hey there ive wanted to do vet science for a while but heapsa ppl told me that vets dont get payed very well and that made me re consider career options coz i dont wanna go to uni for 5 years and then not get paid very well..
ne one know about the pay of vets??...and even if it is low should i be disheartened by this?

Olsen

Hates cold mornings..
HSC
U do vet science cos u love it and that's a fact. Money comes with it afterwards.

stainmepink

HSC
>monkey< said:
hey there ive wanted to do vet science for a while but heapsa ppl told me that vets dont get payed very well and that made me re consider career options coz i dont wanna go to uni for 5 years and then not get paid very well..
ne one know about the pay of vets??...and even if it is low should i be disheartened by this?
if you are choosing a career based on a figure salary, you are going to be sorely dissapointed.

yvonne_710

Don't Lie
HSC
i think vet science will have a good future, u just need to get more and more experiences..........experience is quite important~!

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
partially agrees on wut above pplz have said...

money is not everything in choosing a degree, however, not taking into account of future career options can and will be one deadest mistake ever as well.. esp u are not in a wealthy family and u need to earn ur living later on, a degree which gets u no job or job with little salary can get u fairly bitter...

oh btw, vet got paid very well from memory... even better than medical practitioners...

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
If you cant spare the thought of going to uni for 5 years and not getting paid "well", then i am sorry you are going to be very very disapointed. I agree with Olsen, the only reason why you plan to study something for five years is for you to come out with satisfaction in your job. Pay should not motivate you to do anything, especially in the veterinary profession. The link hsc4life posted in my opinion, is an overestimation of what vets get. I am sure that there are vets that get that amount of money, but like any other job, not many people make it there and it comes with many years of work, experience and luck (in terms of meeting the right people at the right time).
I am not having a go at you, but you need to be realistic about choosing vet, so many people underestimate it. If you are looking for a career that involves devoting to your whole life to animals, dont forget you need to deal with their excretera, behaivoural problems, diseases, surgery, smells and other unpleasant situations you may come across, then this is the option for you. What i can tell you is that i beleive it is worth the blood, sweat and tears to be working with animals :)

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
nicely put kimmeh!

vets earn shit all in Australia, less than all other professionals who undertake as much study as we do, much less than doctors, lawyers, engineers etc. Our starting salary is $36,000. Average for a practice owner is - female - $55,000, male - $75,000. Keeping in mind that practice owners, like all small business owners, work crazy hours, its not really adequate remuneration.

In England and the US, vets earn heaps, as in $100,000 per year, but here in Aus, the average for vets with experience would be more like $60,000, full time, including after hours (ie- getting up at 3 in the morning to go deliver a calf etc)

So yes the pay sucks, but if you really want to be a vet (as most ppl in the course do) you will deal with it because its definately worth it to be doing something that makes you happy, where you feel like you are making a difference, no matter how small, and improving an animals wellbeing.

Btw - kimmeh howd you go in your exams? hope you did well!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)