Veterinary Science Admission HELP (1 Viewer)

arky1506

HSC
Hey all,

I finished my Year 12 studies in 2012 with a final ATAR score of 89.05. I would really really love to get into Vet Science at Sydney, but I couldn't apply last year due to not sitting the STAT test. Anyway, I accepted a place at Monash in Melbourne for a double degree of Arts/Science which I have deferred, but I also received an offer for Animal and Veterinary Bioscience at USYD which I couldn't take due to not being able to move yet.

I am working full time as a veterinary nurse this year and was wondering whether this would help me in regards to getting in. I'm aware that my score is below the ATAR for the course, however I am applying for special consideration on the grounds of ongoing mental illness and difficult personal circumstances which have been pretty awful for about 3 years and really impacted on my study in Year 12. Can anyone comment on special consideration for vet at all?

I am sitting the STAT this year (hoping to get over 170,) and in regards to my commitment statement I have extensive experience in horses, cats, dogs, poultry and some exotic species, and once my current clinic closes I will be moving to a rural clinic to gain experience with cattle, sheep and pigs.

Does anyone have any idea of what the possible likelihood of me being admitted into the uni is?

I have never been more sure of what I want to do with my life and my determination has only increased with my experience with my job, please help.

Jewls

HSC
N/A
With your ATAR alone it would seem difficult to get into vet at any Australian university. There are 7 vet faculties available to you. CSU (Wagga) & JCU (Townsville) seem to prefer rural experience. Most others require Year 12 results in the 90's. Although entrance marks have been declining because vet graduate unemployment has quadrupled in the last 6 years meaning that not as many students are choosing the course. 5-6 years at university is a long time without income to end up being unemployed!

The special consideration may help.

Why did you choose Arts/Science? Straight science may be a better option for allowing you to reapply for vet (or medicine...).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)