Veterinary Science Help (1 Viewer)

Ajaxx

HSC
N/A
I am currently in Year 12, but one of my future considerations is veterinary science.

I have read about it and how it is a bit different to get into it at Uni, so for anyone that does it or knows about it I have a couple of questions with any help greatly appreciated.

- what is the process that happens for you to be accepted
- what ATAR do you need
- what subjects do you study for it at Uni

Once again, any help appreciated.

Thanks

FrozenSky

HSC
I remember considering this course to :p
I think you have to sit for either STAT or UMAT (not sure). I know that there's an interview, and atar wise i think you need around 90+ for sure - probably more towards the high 90s
Chemistry and Biology would be essential for this subject.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
I think there are two nsw unis that offer it undergrad, USYD and Charles Sturt. USYD does small animals, and charles sturt does large animals. sydney's cutt off is pretty high(high 90's), where as charles sturts is fairly low (i.e low 90's).

i think umat is needed for sydney, not sure about charles sturt

MysteryGenius

HSC
last time i checked the stat was only at usyd, not charles sturt
and i'm pretty sure you have to fill out a questionnaire too?
when i was looking at applying i found it on their site.. it talks about they types of experience you have had with animals etc
so yeah, get experience too lol
during yr 12 i volunteered at the local vet hospital every weekend and helped out a couple times with my friends racing greyhounds and horses
the atar for sydney is around 98, so study up!!
try doing about a weeks worth of work experience at a veterinary hospital and ask if you can volunteer for a while- i learnt a lot from that experience and it's a great way to determine whether you're actually interested in becoming a vet surgeon or simply interested in working with/ helping animals :)

the hsc subjects you need are bio, chemistry and i think 2 unit maths.. i'm not too sure about the last one..
but make sure you understand chemistry, as it will be pretty damn important throughout the uni course

Ajaxx

HSC
N/A
Thanks for all the replies, I hope you appreciate the rep points in return.

One thing I dont understand though is, do you have to have some sort of animal work experience to be accepted into veterinary science?

Can anyone that has done/is doing it offer some advice.

Thanks

MysteryGenius

HSC
maybe try calling them and ask?
i'm sure that would clear things up a lot quicker

horseluver29

HSC
Ok I have just been through this myself, so here's my offering.

I only applied for Charles Sturt as I didn't want to live in Sydney, so I know mostly about that application process, though as a rough outline for Sydney you have to sit the multiple choice STAT, as well as fill in a thingy saying what animal experience you have had. You also need to score very higlhy in both STAT and ATAR to be competitive as it is a very very very competitive course to get into. Sydney has a greater focus on small animals (those usually encountered in city clinics) however does do some large animal stuff (predominantly horses and some farm animal stuff). Charles sturt does do small animal stuff, however there is a greater focus on large animals than the sydney course as it is expected that students will graduate and then go out into rural mixed practice. Cut off for csu is 90 for city students, 85 for rural students.

Now, Charles Sturt:
In August the questionnaire is put on the csu website. It has a number of sections. You have to list all your experiences with animals such as working on a farm or doing work experience at vet hospitals or zoos. You also have to write a short essay type thing - you will be given three topics, the ones I had were the use of animals in the lab, brumby population control and intensive pig farming. You need to discuss in this essay the practical and philosophical issues surrounding your chosen topic. You then have to write a letter to the head of the school saying why you think you should be selected for the course. You also have to print our a 'predicted score letter' which you give to your principal to fill in and return to the university. The predicted score letter and your questionnaire have to be in by the 30th september.
In late october/early november you will get an email which says if you have been offered an interview. (for the sake of the explanation let's assume you get an offer for an interview"). these are usually conducted in wagga in late november/early december. Basically you are given a time, you show up about half an hour before it, and you sit in a big room with desks and vet magazines with other people being interviewed. They call you out and you get taken into a little room and you get to see the questions you will be asked and have a think about what you are going to say. Then you have your interview. There are 3 people - I had the head of the school, a senior lecturer and a local vet. The questions I was asked were along the lines of:
1) Why do you want to study vet science?
2) Why at Charles Sturt?
3) What qualities do you think are important in a rural vet?
4) What problems can you forsee a new graduate might have in their first job in a rural practice (think, isolation so reduced access to facilities as well as not knowing anyone. Look at personal and professional i.e. being a long way from where conferences are held so harder to keep up to date with current techniques)
5) What are your opinions on intensive farming?
6) Climate change is a growing problem. how can rural vets help? (a bit of a tricky question as it can be interperuted in two different ways, ie in Preventing, or in helping farmers to manage the changes such as during drought. If you take the first option, there has been some research into changing diets of cattle to reduce their methane output, but the second interpretation is far easier, such as nutrition during drought, advising farmers on when and which cattle to cull, allowing farmers to pay when they can when times are tough and so on)
After that you basically get a yay or nay when early january round offers come out.

very important though - you MUST put charles sturt as your first preference if you want to go there, as most of the places are filled in early january round rather than in main round, and if you don't have it as your first preference you won't be considered for places until the main round of offers.

Oh, and also try and get as much work experience at as many places as you can (no matter if you are trying for wagga or sydney) as having more experience will ALWAYS put you ahead of others, even if you score slightly lower! Try to get experience with cows, sheep, horses, wildlife, cats, dogs etc... and anything else you can think of. The more the better! Also I learned it is far easier to get it out of the way as much as you can earlier in the year as you don't want to be running around doing that when you should be studying for exams! (I didn't do it that way and regretted not getting more experience than I did, however i have been working at my local vets for about 3 years so I suppose that counted for something lol). Oh, and get REFERENCES from each and every person you do work experience with. It sure beats trying to chase everyone up to give you one, as you will need one to support each experience in your application questionnaires.

Anyhows hope the above was of some use to you. Good luck with your HSC, and if you need any help at all don't hesitate to send me a message on here - I am more than happy to help! :)

Last edited:

horseluver29

HSC
- what ATAR do you need
Basically the higher the better, but don't focus on the mark, focus on doing you best work!

- what subjects do you study for it at Uni
My first semester courses for this year (1st year for me) are:
Chemistry, Biology, Animal Genetics, Animal Production (similar to HSC Agriculture), and Veterinary Practice (Stuff like talking to clients, handling animals and so on)

Ajaxx

HSC
N/A
Wow ... thankyou for going out of your way to explain it all to me :)

Now it gives me alot to consider.

Thankyou again!

sa32

HSC
some very useful information has been posted already so thanks to all that have contributed.
i am appling to charles sturt for the 2012 intake into veterinary medicine and am having trouble with my admissions letter/ essay to the dean. we only have a small amount of space available and i just cant seem to get it together and find out exactly what to say.
if anyone is able i would really appreciate it if you could post and example of your entrance letter and perhaps let me know if your applocation was successful or not?
thanks heaps:rolleyes2:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)