Veterinary Science (1 Viewer)

eilyk

HSC
Just wanted some information and suggestions on veterinary.
What uai do i need to get into veterinary and if i dont get that how else can i get in? Is it true that i can do a bachelor of science and then transfer into veterinary easily?
what university is good for veterinary?

Thanks

Emma_Kate

HSC
The UAI for vet science depends on the university. Sydney is 98.5+, University of QLD I believe is around the same, and murdoch (Perth) , melbourne and adelaide all now require high UAI scores as well as the completion of a pre-vet year (normally 1st yr bachelor of science) at which point they then select students to go onto vet (so not everyone that completes the year will go through), and adelaide has a pre-vet stream of the animal science degree, which upon completion allows you to follow on with their vet science course.

The two different university's are Charles Sturt (Bathurst, NSW) and James Cook (Townsville, QLD) which require a high UAI 90+ but also require you to fill out an application form and answer questions, which is another very important part of the application process. In addition Charles Sturt also holds interviews.

Basically, you need a high UAI to be eligible. It is true that you can do a bachelor of science and transfer HOWEVER in no way would I say that it is easy! If you are unable to gain the UAI needed to get into the degree you seriously need to assess wether you could realistically obtain a distinction average in the 1st year of your science degree in order to transfer. Some students can do this, but on the other hand I know a fair few people who haven't been successful in transferring and were then stuck in a degree they didn't really want to be in. In addition to this many universities will require you to do other things to transfer, such as sit another exam for Sydney and show how dedicated you are to vet by previous and current work experience etc.

Traditionally the larger and older university's have been considered the "best" for veterinary science - Sydney, Melbourne, Queensland, Murdoch. However the newer schools, Charles Sturt, James Cook and Adelaide in my opinion are just as good. I am a bit biased as I'm in my 3rd year of vet at James Cook, but each university has its different pros and cons. The older universities have large established networks and facilities, which are always a bonus, but the newer uni's have brand new facilities and have equally talented teachers and lecturers. The biggest difference I see is that essentially the university's in the city have limited access to larger animals (you can't exactly have a whole lot of cattle in the middle of sydney!) but Charles Sturt and James Cook are able to have stockyards and a farm on the campus making a wider array of animals available for teaching purposes all the time. Hence it seems that compared to my friends at Sydney I have done more cattle/sheep work than they have and they have done more cat/dog work than I have, simply because of what's accessible at the time. HOWEVER each degree has to be accredited by the veterinary accreditation board, who ensure that the curriculums of the universities are equal - hence by the end of our degrees, regardless of what uni you go to, we all have to know the same stuff about the same animals.

Vet is an awesome thing to study at uni and its a fabulous degree, so if you are interested i'd really encourage you to study very very hard and have a look around at all the universities! Its a very tough and demanding degree, but it is really rewarding!

Hope that all helps, if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask!

HSC
The UAI for vet science depends on the university. Sydney is 98.5+, University of QLD I believe is around the same, and murdoch (Perth) , melbourne and adelaide all now require high UAI scores as well as the completion of a pre-vet year (normally 1st yr bachelor of science) at which point they then select students to go onto vet (so not everyone that completes the year will go through), and adelaide has a pre-vet stream of the animal science degree, which upon completion allows you to follow on with their vet science course.

The two different university's are Charles Sturt (Bathurst, NSW) and James Cook (Townsville, QLD) which require a high UAI 90+ but also require you to fill out an application form and answer questions, which is another very important part of the application process. In addition Charles Sturt also holds interviews.

Basically, you need a high UAI to be eligible. It is true that you can do a bachelor of science and transfer HOWEVER in no way would I say that it is easy! If you are unable to gain the UAI needed to get into the degree you seriously need to assess wether you could realistically obtain a distinction average in the 1st year of your science degree in order to transfer. Some students can do this, but on the other hand I know a fair few people who haven't been successful in transferring and were then stuck in a degree they didn't really want to be in. In addition to this many universities will require you to do other things to transfer, such as sit another exam for Sydney and show how dedicated you are to vet by previous and current work experience etc.

Traditionally the larger and older university's have been considered the "best" for veterinary science - Sydney, Melbourne, Queensland, Murdoch. However the newer schools, Charles Sturt, James Cook and Adelaide in my opinion are just as good. I am a bit biased as I'm in my 3rd year of vet at James Cook, but each university has its different pros and cons. The older universities have large established networks and facilities, which are always a bonus, but the newer uni's have brand new facilities and have equally talented teachers and lecturers. The biggest difference I see is that essentially the university's in the city have limited access to larger animals (you can't exactly have a whole lot of cattle in the middle of sydney!) but Charles Sturt and James Cook are able to have stockyards and a farm on the campus making a wider array of animals available for teaching purposes all the time. Hence it seems that compared to my friends at Sydney I have done more cattle/sheep work than they have and they have done more cat/dog work than I have, simply because of what's accessible at the time. HOWEVER each degree has to be accredited by the veterinary accreditation board, who ensure that the curriculums of the universities are equal - hence by the end of our degrees, regardless of what uni you go to, we all have to know the same stuff about the same animals.

Vet is an awesome thing to study at uni and its a fabulous degree, so if you are interested i'd really encourage you to study very very hard and have a look around at all the universities! Its a very tough and demanding degree, but it is really rewarding!

Hope that all helps, if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask!
Murdoch also has an extensive range of animals available for teaching.

sb22

HSC
I'm also interested in Veterinary Science, and I wanted to ask: on the USyd website, one of the entry requirements is "Commitment to Veterinary Science" in the form of work experience, etc.

Is this necessary? If you get the high UAI and STAT result, could you get in the course without any experience, or is it recommended that i do it?

http://www.vetsci.usyd.edu.au/future_students/undergraduate/requirements_bvsc.shtml#local

"Commitment to Veterinary Science
Applicants should demonstrate a firm and continuing commitment to the study of Veterinary Science. Evidence of such commitment could include work experience in veterinary practice or in primary animal production and membership of organisations such as WIRES. Commitment to veterinary science is to be detailed on the prescribed Faculty form."

Last edited:

Emma_Kate

HSC
Is this necessary? If you get the high UAI and STAT result, could you get in the course without any experience, or is it recommended that i do it?
From what I know/have heard this seems to be a relatively new way of assessing school leaver applications. However I doubt that they would get you to do it if it wasn't important, after all they want smart and talented people with a clear interest in vet science (shown by experience) to apply.

sb22

HSC
Decided to go ahead with the work experience. It's part of the selection criteria, and even if it wasn't, it'd be great to get to know what being a vet is all about I guess.

I've arranged to do two weeks work experience at my local vet, can't wait!!
I had to pay for insurance though - my school only covers for Year 10 work experience grrr..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)