Victorian Cop Sacked For Not Being A Prick (1 Viewer)

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Cop sacked for handing out small fines

A soft-hearted Victorian policeman has been sacked for using discretion to 'go easy' on speeding drivers and handing out smaller fines than he was supposed to.

Sergeant Mark Ashton, an officer with more than 30 years experience, was dismissed by Deputy Commissioner Ken Lay this week.

While Sgt Ashton might have been popular with the motorists he crossed paths with, Victoria Police accused him of "bringing the force into disrepute".

The police union says the Avondale Heights officer is believed to have booked about 500 people over two years with only two or three of them having re-offended, police data shows.
Article speaks for itself really. No need for commentary.

will-anal

Banned
HSC
Only two or three reoffending.

Good odds.

Revenue raisers, etc blah blah yeah it sux for this guy

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
he shouldn't have been sacked for bringing the police into disrepute
but he should have been punished officially for using his own discretion i guess idk

poor dude

HSC
He did the wrong thing. People speeding are putting their own lives and others' in danger. It's not that hard to leave the house a few minutes early so you're not late.

He deserves what he got.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Policemen have a level of discretion. That is to say they don't have to be assholes. Considering the police are having enough PR problems as it is cutting down on a few speeding tickets, and letting a few people off with warnings is not going to hurt. In fact, the opposite it'd do a lot of good for their public image. A good cop is not one that'll turn the other way, or bend the law, but rather exercise their discretion to match the needs of the society.

will-anal

Banned
HSC
So it's totally okay to speed? Umhm.
Yeah, I don't actually recall saying that. You can read?

The police union says the Avondale Heights officer is believed to have booked about 500 people over two years with only two or three of them having re-offended, police data shows.
He didn't exactly encourage them all to go back out and speed, did he?

HSC
Yeah, I don't actually recall saying that. You can read?

He didn't exactly encourage them all to go back out and speed, did he?
Yeah, only 2 of them got caught. People who've never been convicted, speed on a nearly daily basis.

If you're going to commit a crime, fine. But everyone's fully aware of the law, and they should understand the basic concept of "cause and effect".

will-anal

Banned
HSC
Yeah, only 2 of them got caught. People who've never been convicted, speed on a nearly daily basis.

If you're going to commit a crime, fine. But everyone's fully aware of the law, and they should understand the basic concept of "cause and effect".
Fuck up spastic, how old are you... 4? Pretty much everyone on the road speeds, regardless of whether they've had a ticket or not. This guy was picking up minor speeding infringements and using his discretion to give the driver a bit of a warning/wake up call.

He wasn't giving them the green light to speed. I don't understand how you link his actions to condoning of speeding.

Oh hi I'm sophistikahtee and I can come up with stupid black and white responses to life because I'm 4.

HSC
Fuck up spastic, how old are you... 4? Pretty much everyone on the road speeds, regardless of whether they've had a ticket or not. This guy was picking up minor speeding infringements and using his discretion to give the driver a bit of a warning/wake up call.

He wasn't giving them the green light to speed. I don't understand how you link his actions to condoning of speeding.

Oh hi I'm sophistikahtee and I can come up with stupid black and white responses to life because I'm 4.
Wake up call? A wake up call is the exact opposite of what this guy was doing. He took the law into his own hands, when he shouldn't have. "Pretty much everyone on the road speeds" is a pissweak argument because that doesn't make it right. If everyone else jumped off the harbour bridge etc etc.

Oh hi I'm will-anal and I cuss and use insults because I think it makes me seem badass and smart.

will-anal

Banned
HSC
Wake up call? A wake up call is the exact opposite of what this guy was doing. He took the law into his own hands, when he shouldn't have. "Pretty much everyone on the road speeds" is a pissweak argument because that doesn't make it right. If everyone else jumped off the harbour bridge etc etc.

Oh hi I'm will-anal and I cuss and use insults because I think it makes me seem badass and smart.
You can't read, obviously.

It quite clearly says that officers are allowed to use discretion when dealing with these matters. This includes warnings instead of fines, etc. Read the article. He didn't break the law really, he just used his "discretion" too much and has apparently put the force into disrepute.

READ THE ARTICLE TWAT.

No you're not :confused:

HSC
You really need your mouth washed out with soap.

If a motorist was caught driving 80km/h in a 60km/h speed zone, the sergeant allegedly falsely increased the speed limit to 70km/h so the driver would be fined less and receive one instead of three demerit points off his licence.

He lied.

will-anal

Banned
HSC
You really need your mouth washed out with soap.

If a motorist was caught driving 80km/h in a 60km/h speed zone, the sergeant allegedly falsely increased the speed limit to 70km/h so the driver would be fined less and receive one instead of three demerit points off his licence.

He lied.
wah wah wah, get over the swearing, it's annoying as shit having a whiney kid in NCAP crying because they;re seeing naughty words.

you're proposing a ridiculous, juvenile, black and white argument indicative of someone still in the womb.

Go and get some life experience and come back with a bit more than "lol speeding is wrong u guyz"

HSC
wah wah wah, get over the swearing, it's annoying as shit having a whiney kid in NCAP crying because they;re seeing naughty words.

you're proposing a ridiculous, juvenile, black and white argument indicative of someone still in the womb.

Go and get some life experience and come back with a bit more than "lol speeding is wrong u guyz"
Kind of hard to take someone seriously when they swear in an argument.

Anyone who doesn't do what they're supposed to do, unless it's a matter of life and death, deserves the consequences.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)