Vietnam War HELP!! (1 Viewer)

daniel.wee

HSC
i was wondering if u guys could like state facts about australia in the vietnam war era.. coz i havnt listened in class and i rkn its gonna be in the test

p.s thanks in advanve to everyone!! and good luck for tommorow

Last edited:

HoboPanda

HSC
ummm... wat? 3 Vietnam Wars?!? well if there is even three, i think the one u should be concerned abt is the 1962-1972 one.
Australia joined the Vietnam War due to the communist threat and its links with the USA. Australia believed in the communist threat and the idea of the domino theory that one by one the nations will fall to communism and will eventually spread to Australia through South-east Asia. Australia had also signed the defence treaties ANZUS and SEATO which had strengthened Australia's links with the US. Over the years the Australians/US 1st sent advisors to teach the Vietnamese how to fight... then it escalated till the US were drawn into the war and Australia followed....

HoboPanda

HSC
umm... hope that helps...
....did Vietnam War in my trial, BSed my way through it

maiying.n

HSC
N/A
Australia was involved in the vietnam war for these reasons
to strengthen our alliance with the US
to fight the spread of communism
to apply the theory of forward defence
to show support for collective security organisations

the menzies government introduced conscription i think in 1964..
we sent troops in 1965
august 1966 was the battle of Long Thanh (our largest conflict in vietnam)
1970 were the moratorium rallies which demanded 2 things... 1) the immediate abolition of conscription 2) full withdrawal of troops
1972 whitlam abolished conscription and brought troops back. that was the end of our involvement in the war.

some groups who were conscientious objectors- Save Our Sons and Youth Against Conscription.
i dont kno how much detail u need but hope this helped.

iEdd

HSC
maiying.n said:
conscientious objectors- Save Our Sons and Youth Against Conscription.
-Some considered it to be more of a civil war issue South vs North

Returned vets:
-Received no support
-No thanks
-No counselling
-No Congratulation or meeting
-Medal in the mail
-High levels of depression, some committing suicide

HSC
iEdd said:
-Some considered it to be more of a civil war issue South vs North

Returned vets:
-Received no support
-No thanks
-No counselling
-No Congratulation or meeting
-Medal in the mail
-High levels of depression, some committing suicide
+ drugs easily available in vietnam, therefore drug addictions
+ exposure to dangerous chemicals, e.g. Agent Orange

ronnknee

Live to eat
HSC
krazedrealitii said:
+ drugs easily available in vietnam, therefore drug addictions
+ exposure to dangerous chemicals, e.g. Agent Orange
- Received little or no treatment
- "Welcome Home" parade for veterans was in October 1972 I think

kc-ok-la

HSC
hahahaha@ year 10'ers

you guys are probably asleep! but ill write what i remember,
from what some of you have posted seems like your doing the SECOND INDO CHINA WAR!.

ill work my way in ascending order of post and briefly expand on what they've written. btw, i did this same part for my hsc however we focus on vietnam/america rather than australia(? i think thats what u guys are doing?)

more on "HoboPanda"'s comment

The spread of communism began in greece pre WW2, and moved around with stalin until hitler took over that part of europe but Russia had been communist since after WW1 by now in which China also followed shortly, the DOMINO THEORY was when one country falls it would continue to affect its neighbouring countries to do the same, and VIETNAM being north of australia it seemed as it it would eventually spread down to australia. ALTHOUGH, Ho Chi Minh was more of a nationalist, he used communism as a spring board and a way to unify and benefit the people because the majorty were peasents, Ho Chi Minh was not purely a communist, if anytihng he was a genuine Nationalist. Neverthe less, American and Australian propaganda used this domino theory to state that eventually australia's way of living would be reformed to the extreme lefts(communism) in which caused AUSTRALIA TO COMPLY!. Australia was one of the only countries to send their troops and fund themselves, where as america had paid many other nations to fight hteir war at the same time. Also, Many Vietcong(PLAF) and the Army of North Vietnam (also known as the PAVN) stated that AUStralian troops were the most effective during the war.

maiying.n
this person sums that part up and anyway i dont know much about this so i wont confuse u all

iEdd:
Most vietnam vets , both australia and america, did not receive their " parade " after returning. Because President Johnson used the Gulf Of TOnkin Resolution to send troops to vietnam there was no actual formal declaration of war,
the gulf of tonkin resolution gave johnson a " blank cheque " in order to do whatever he wanted,
thus, so when the troops went back from what they perceived as a " war" it was stated it was NOT a war and more of a " police action " and they were merly policeing another conutry in need. this debate of weather it was a war or not still exists today.
what iEdd is all true, to sum it up you can say, the troops that returned were not recognized as war veterans and hence , did not comply with the experiences and needs to receive war pensions, parades, war medels, and so forth.

ronnknee:
This time in the world drugs were very "new" and most people were ignorant and naive to the effects of drugs. And yes, drugs were heavily used by Western Troops in vietnam as they used it to get high to escape the reality. many vets both in usa and america came back with chronic addictions to drugs, mostly marajuana

and on the note of weapons :
you can safely say
"America used almost everything they had except the atomic bomb on Vietnam"
and helecopters were the most effective/useful

hope this helps

good luck year 10 kiddies
hehe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)