Vis com-Design/Tech, Visual Arts, etc? (1 Viewer)

Fruitsalad

HSC
Out of interest, for those who are interested in studying Vis Com and UTS next year, who is studying subjects like Visual Arts and Design and Tech?

I really want to get in! >_< but am currently worried about the general UAI cut-off...

Anna

watiwat

HSC
I really want to get in too.. but i've done nothing related to design as my subj's.. i do 4maths, 2english, phys and chem..

i'm worried about the cutoff as well..

Fruitsalad

HSC
Well, I put industrial design, and interior design as my other preferences...because I so want to go to UTS. I'm still open to other courses, so I'll think about ;)

:wave:

Lovehack

HSC
I'm really interested in this course too. But the UAI cut-off is a massivley daunting thing. However, I am doing Visual Art so that may help out, a little bit...

but remember there's always INSEARCH

Fruitsalad

HSC
Oh...I've heard of insearch, but don't really know much.

What is it basically?

msh

HSC
Musk said:
Why not do engineering?

I has a lot of design components and career opportunities are limitless

http://www.eng.uts.edu.au/courses/undergraduate/civilstructures.htm
ew. im sorry but engineering and visual communication design has a very little relationship, unless it's INDUSTRIAL design. (which has engineering to some degree)

vis com is all sorts of communication design from print media to web media to film media etc.

jobs nclude: graphic designer, art director, web designer, film & video, animation etc.

i guess if you are intrested in getting a creative job, it's a good starting point to study creative arts subjects like Visual Arts from high school level to build a visual sense. Though this could be developed at university studies. (May come as a big shock for those who haven't studied art, suddenly being forced to be creative, however people seem to learn eventually)

People who don't choose Visual Arts saying it can 'scale' down is mistaken. Plenty of people receive a uai of 100 with Visual Arts counted towards it. (well at least it was the case at my school. Most of the dux each year studied Art for the hsc)

msh

HSC
anyways, though not mandatary, it is recommended that you have some studies in visual arts, (I would assume people who would want to be designers have considerable interest in the field of aesthetics and creativity)

as for the cut-off being so high, do your best and apply anyway in hopes for a miracle.
well it did happen last year, when it suddenly dropped from 93 to 86, but now its back in the 90s again, as it has been for all the other past years.

Fruitsalad

HSC
I know UTS wants to get good students for their courses, but I just wish they could allow us to show our creativity- relevant to the design course we are applying for... It seems like so much weighting is put on the UAI (actually all) >_<

An interview or something would be really good.....

I'm so scared I'm going to miss out.....even by that little bit...:worried:

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
this years cut off was 90.05 for Commonwealth supported places and 81.00 for Domestic Fee Paying

flabbergasted

HSC
I really want to get into VisCom but my UAI was crap. I guess i'll have to try to get ino Industrial design and maybe transfer if that is possible

poppop

HSC
N/A
try out for it anyway? It doesn't hurt, and the new uai bonus scheme is unpredictable. :eek:

geegables

HSC
flabbergasted said:
I really want to get into VisCom but my UAI was crap. I guess i'll have to try to get ino Industrial design and maybe transfer if that is possible
my friend was in the same position as you so she enrolled into ID and tried to transfer to Viscomm this year. She just told me she didnt get in so she's going to just finish her ID degree and hopefully try and get into a Viscomm related field later. This is a fair enough direction.

On the other hand i have another friend who completely bombed his HSC but he had the potential to get over 90 and just burnt out at the end. He is currently doing the INSEARCH course with half a year to go and is on a D+ average... his works are definitely at the same level as the Viscomm students, if not better than at least half. Point is, if you trully want to do Viscomm but didnt get the marks in.. i would highly recommend insearch because with a D average .. which is not all too hard to achieve if you love design... you are guaranteed a place in 2nd year but on DFEE .

Depends how hard you want to get into viscom of course

Jezzi

HSC
I got into Vis Comm at UTS this year. I went to UNCLE last year and transferred out with a D average. Who else is is?

watiwat

HSC
missed out on viscomm this year, screwed my uai..

got engineering though, which is awesome =D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)